Page 17 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: TUF Season 4 question

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    if it was about percentages, then all mma would be shin kicks and boxing, mt clinch with knees and ground and pound.
    Other than the BJJ that most fighters use, that's pretty much what 99% of MMA is.

Knifefighter

Do you hate TCMA exclusively or do you hate all traditional martial arts that don't have any "ring cred" with many MMA types?
    Like what about shuto strikes to the neck that are common in Karate? If someone has a makiwara trained shuto, and he goes to the UFC, are you saying he is not allowed to use it on the side of his opponent’s neck because it is ineffective?

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post
    I don't know that there was any miscommunication. But I'll allow that Green Cloud didn't deserve to be called a ****head. In my defense, I DID limit it temporally. I don't generally find Green Cloud to be a ****head, but I thought his comment was unnecessarily dismissive.

My annoyance was built around the fact that what was introduced as definitive fact was, in fact, nothing of the sort. While we can certainly reasonably surmise that Kano must have known that Judo would have a strong sportive component, was that, in fact, his intention, or was it a means to an end?

The difference is quite important - after all, intent is the difference between manslaughter and homicide.

In summation:

1. Nobody has yet introduced evidence to me that clarifies Kano's main intent: was sport the primary goal, or a means to an end (recognizing that this is not an either/or proposition)?
    2. I'm sorry I called you a ****head, Green Cloud - my apologies.
    3. Cung Le's wrestling and TKD still inform his San Da ringfighting
    Thanks for that Mp It's all good and It was just a Misscomunication even though we don't always agree on things I do respect what you have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Do we have to go through this again?
    Cool. finally KFM forums have given me a concrete answer!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    Do you hate TCMA exclusively or do you hate all traditional martial arts that don't have any "ring cred" with many MMA types?
    Like what about shuto strikes to the neck that are common in Karate? If someone has a makiwara trained shuto, and he goes to the UFC, are you saying he is not allowed to use it on the side of his opponent’s neck because it is ineffective?
    Are you talking about the infamous "karate chop"?????? Yeah, that's a scary one, alright.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    and yet again, you hop on the carousel and continue to go around as well...

What about the rest of it? Do you have an answer? Its this peicemeal BS that makes threads boring.

It's amusing to see the so called defenders of TCMA arguing about high kicks, most TCMA kicks are LOW for a good reason, they are higher percentage... and when high kicks work it is because of the presence of low kicks, IE people think it is going to be another low kick and walk into the high kick.... that's why American KB is such a joke, only kicks above the waist, so pretty much just keep your hands up and you'll never see the kicks do much

As was said previously, a major problem with TCMA is the quest for the "advanced" or "secret" and pretty much no attention to sound basics and high percentage stuff
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Are you talking about the infamous "karate chop"?????? Yeah, that's a scary one, alright.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=qRawFZ5Cg2A

I honestly didn't see anything here worth answering - it seems like you're being rhetorical - a monkey. But, let's see...

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    Again, you used a hook kick, its low percentage. Low percentage of what? effectiveness? It didn't work? You miss most of the time? Most of the time it makes your opponent smile because its weak? Nobody has ever landed a kick on you?
    yes, low percentage of effectiveness. Not in regards to how I well I use it, but how well it's used by people in general. How iften they land, the effect they have, how often / easily it's countered, etc. sure, people have landed kicks on me. Asking that is stupid.

on the flip side,
    You never miss with a punch? You never get blocked? You never stop your opponents punches? All you opponents punches land on you?
    sure I miss with punches, as has everyone. But you have a better chance of hitting them with one than you do with a hook kick. Once again, the last part of that question is dumb.

At this point the landed kicks vs. grabbed kicks would number in the hudreds of thousands. And in each match namy more landed than got grabbed. People like liddell seem to kick with impunity.
    low kicks, sure. high kicks happen, but are for more rare, and you already know why...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    It's amusing to see the so called defenders of TCMA arguing about high kicks, most TCMA kicks are LOW for a good reason, they are higher percentage... and when high kicks work it is because of the presence of low kicks, IE people think it is going to be another low kick and walk into the high kick.... that's why American KB is such a joke, only kicks above the waist, so pretty much just keep your hands up and you'll never see the kicks do much

As was said previously, a major problem with TCMA is the quest for the "advanced" or "secret" and pretty much no attention to sound basics and high percentage stuff

good post.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post

Sifu Abel inadvertently Pwn&d by lkfmdc... nuff said.

I agree with everyone about kicking high and all in a fight, and I'm sure were in agreement.

In my school I encourage my students to throw high kicks when training, this way when in a fight you have better conditioning and can throw more effective low kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    and that's my point. It's not solely a cma technique. It's a boxing technique. it's a muay thai technique. it's seen in russan styles from what someone said earlier... it's semantical really, but something I see a lot of in CMA guys. You don't see the boxers screaming "wow, he taught an overhand right - who says boxing isn't effective?" but the CMA guys love to try and find anything resembling their techniques in the media. A while back, there was even a thread because someone saw wing chun techniques in the star wars animated series!!! It's ridiculous.
    Here is an example of the crap I'm talking about:

http://martial.best.vwh.net/forum/sh...hlight=tan+sau

http://martial.best.vwh.net/forum/sh...chun+star+wars

Who really cares if something that looks like a tan sau was used in mma? Who cares if mace windu may have used something that looked like WC in the clone wars cartoon? who cares if robin was hitting a dummy in the teen titans cartoon?

it's like some of you guys jump on ANY chance to validate the usefulness of the art - you don't see sport guys doing that. There are takedowns and boxing in lots of movies, but we aren't crapping our pants to point it out.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

what are you crapping your pants to point out then?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

it's like some of you guys jump on ANY chance to validate the usefulness of the art - you don't see sport guys doing that.
    Rickson 500-0, booyah!