Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: TUF Season 4 question

I have super tight hips, so if I want to kick high, it has to be a crescent kick because I can't turn my hips over to do a proper MT kick over waist-high level.

I rarely kick high as a result, but I have landed crescent kicks in my MMA class. I even landed a tornado kick once at the end of a round.

Of course, crescent kicks are fairly easy to catch and I have been dumped on my @ss after throwing one, also. I probably wouldn't use one in a fight that counts, but it doesn't hurt to keep it in my bag.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 10-17-2006 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    All this spells out to me is that high percentage means lowest common basic that everyone can do. Gee, no sh it.
    No. Any guy who trains can throw a high kick. what matters is the effectivness of it. For most people, use of a high kick leads to them getting taken down. Consequently, it's not so high %, is it? A cross, on the other hand, has lead to plenty of KOs, dizzyness, KOset ups, pace changers, etc. For pretty much all fighters at some point in time. This is high %.

High kicks are bad, except when cro cop uses them. Makes me laugh. God forbid someone has to actually master something.
    now you're being silly. He said "such as cro cop". Obviously, he's only using him as an example.

DuH!!! Why does one technique negate another?
    because that's how fighting works. They are going to use the techniques that are maximizing their chances of winning. The cross will ALWAYS be used more than the crescent kick. Heck, look at cung le and his scissors takedown. Does it work for him? sure. How many other people use it? it's something that can work, but you will never see it used more than a double leg, for example.

saying that while fighter X used a crescent kick and knocked fighter Y's block off, more people still used a jab. This makes 0 sense. So the guy doing the crescent kick doesn't by default have a jab? Thats a contribed mental device. So what, if every tom, richard and harry can throw the same punch. I do too, AND, I have a mean crescent kick as well. I have more tools.
    which in the grand scheme of this conversation, does not equal a high percentage technique. he's not saying that you don't also have a jab. He's saying that chances are, you will still use your jab more than your crescent kick.

are bascially ending your philosophy with,"you don't need to strive for greater skill. Just do the same basic stuff. "
    Now you're being a monkey again.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    ridiculous...easily as ridiculous as a "what if bruce lee was alive today" question.
    Hey! That's my thread buddy!
    Seriously though, I feel it is an interesting question.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    which in the grand scheme of this conversation, does not equal a high percentage technique. he's not saying that you don't also have a jab. He's saying that chances are, you will still use your jab more than your crescent kick.

This was the only part that wasn't non sequitur.

And the answer is , SO WHAT?. So you'll use your jab more than a crescent or a swing punch or whatever. Big deal. Me too, yet I don't ignore the rest of my tools.

Who choses the numbers? For every example of a high kick getting taken down I can show just as many KOs with them. This mentality is contribed.

It always seems convenient that the %'s are chosen to represent that which is in your given paradigm.

And it seems convenient that low percentage techniques are deemed so by people who can't do them, never used them, not in their style, never got hit with them, etc etc .

Actually he said this exactly.

"High kicks will aways be low percentage for all but a very few people at the very highest levels, such as Cro-Cop."

Why should I even care that some low level guy that can't kick well? So the low level guy shouldn't try? Thats dumb, the low level guy will never improve that way. The whole point of training is to achieve a " very high level" .

This whole percentage game reaks of laziness. Its seems to me a dumbing down of MA.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 10-17-2006 at 01:24 PM.

Getting good at what you are good at is a very good idea. I train those things I like the most, the most often and consequently I use them the most. Maybe these differ from the thing my Sifu favours from the style...but we have this variety present so that one doesn't have to rely on specific but can be able to pick and choose, depending on infinite variables, what they are most likely to use and to not use.

When we develop a place to test these techniques and prepare all of our time towards preparing for those specific testing regions, then we are prepared for those circumstances. Without a doubt there should be fast paced, intense sparring in ones training but also the controlled training of striking to sensitive areas without contact and other situational and self-defense based scenarios.
    If a sport fighting venue was developed to take place in an elevator you would see a different type of fighting being considered high percentage.
    A unique snowflake

For every example of a high kick getting taken down I can show just as many KOs with them. This mentality is contribed.
    LOL!!! There are 10 times more takedowns resulting from high kicks than people getting KO'ed by them.

And it seems convenient that low percentage techniques are deemed so by people who can't do them, never used them, not in their style, never got hit with them, etc etc .
    OK, point us to some examples of crescent kicks being used to KO someone.

"High kicks will aways be low percentage for all but a very few people at the very highest levels, such as Cro-Cop." Why should I even care that some low level guy that can't kick well? So the low level guy shouldn't try? Thats dumb, the low level guy will never improve that way. The whole point of training is to achieve a " very high level" .
    Another example of why so much KF is BS. The low level guy shouldn't be trying the fancy stuff in the first place. He must first become very good at the basic high percentage stuff and then work on any fancier stuff that he wants to pull out of his toolbox after he becomes a high level practitioner. This is exactly what is wrong with most KF... too little focus on the proven basic stuff and too much emphasis on the esoteric.

Cro-Cop can land the high kicks (in addition to the fact that he is 6'2" and 220 lbs) because he first mastered the basics of the lower kicks and became an expert with them first . His low and mid level kicks do more damage than just about any other fighter in the world.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 10-17-2006 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    If a sport fighting venue was developed to take place in an elevator you would see a different type of fighting being considered high percentage.
    Nope... you would see pretty much exactly what you already see happening in the clinch and against the fence. The same clinching and fence work will remain high percentage whether it is in an elevator, against a wall, or on the side of the fence in the Octagon.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 10-17-2006 at 02:59 PM.

Cung Le lands high kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I have super tight hips, so if I want to kick high, it has to be a crescent kick because I can't turn my hips over to do a proper MT kick over waist-high level.
    Can't you fix that with a good stretching routine?

And the answer is , SO WHAT?. So you'll use your jab more than a crescent or a swing punch or whatever. Big deal. Me too, yet I don't ignore the rest of my tools.
    answer? it was never a question.

Who choses the numbers? For every example of a high kick getting taken down I can show just as many KOs with them. This mentality is contribed.
    No, you can't...

It always seems convenient that the %'s are chosen to represent that which is in your given paradigm.
    Not true at all. I use the hook kick. But I will be the first to tell you that a hook kick is a low % technique.

once again, false. As stated, I use the hook kick, and in my last fight, successfully landed a roundhouse to the head of an opponent that was 5 inches taller than me. It's still low %, it just worked that day.

This whole percentage game reaks of laziness. Its seems to me a dumbing down of MA.
    look at import racing. why do you think more people race hondas and acuras than hyundais?

In basketball, why are most of the players tall?

In american football, why are linemen big?

Why is reality TV so prevalent these days?

it's all a percentage game, really. nothing lazy about it.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

if it was about percentages, then all mma would be shin kicks and boxing, mt clinch with knees and ground and pound.

i think that the percentages thing is not where it's at.
    probably more accurate to say, short and direct, nothing fancy and keep plodding along. Optimizing short and direct takes time.

But if you have a speciality that you have optimized, then that is your high percentage move even if all the other dudes can only bring out a butter churn hook because it's even simpler.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

round and round we go.

"oh yes it is"

"oh no it isn't. "

Again, you used a hook kick, its low percentage. Low percentage of what? effectiveness? It didn't work? You miss most of the time? Most of the time it makes your opponent smile because its weak? Nobody has ever landed a kick on you?

on the flip side,
    You never miss with a punch? You never get blocked? You never stop your opponents punches? All you opponents punches land on you?

At this point the landed kicks vs. grabbed kicks would number in the hudreds of thousands. And in each match namy more landed than got grabbed. People like liddell seem to kick with impunity.

round and round we go.
    and yet again, you hop on the carousel and continue to go around as well...

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Nope... you would see pretty much exactly what you already see happening in the clinch and against the fence. The same clinching and fence work will remain high percentage whether it is in an elevator, against a wall, or on the side of the fence in the Octagon.
    Yep. Try throwing anything resembling a round house kick with four feet either way. More likely it would be knees and elbows with clinch and maybe some takedown but it would look and be trained a lot different than what goes on. Maybe a lot of straight down the line shots.

Heck even the difference between a cage and a ring in MMA makes a big difference in several regards.

Back to Liddell and the swirly hand debate... not my favorite, but go watch a Wing Chun clip...they train pretty much no round shots from what I've seen and they are a CMA. The style I practice has both rounded and straight shots with varying angles of hands, feet, knee, elbow, etc.

MMA practioners get into crazy shape and fight for a venue and train for that circumstance. I don't fear going five rounds in the street and so I don't commit hours of additional time into my training. I do fear someone with a knife or maybe a blindsided attack...so I train for that.

Above all else, I am not on an MMA board trying, nay pleading, with the members to take my point of view when I don't even do MMA.

I do go to a couple Chess forums and try to persuade them to take up Risk as it is a much more realistic and entertaining game.
    A unique snowflake

Touche ***** cat, winter palm you go boy that was a perfect post.