Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Hong Quan anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    i get tired of typing out encyclopedia too!

well, i have the old four volume edition. planning on getting the revised one soon. so i dont know how much different these are, but apparently the newer one says in the dahongquan poem; "if you ask the name of this quan, it is taizu guandong dahongquan".

whereas the older version starts off calling it "taizu hongquan", and the last sentence is instead; "if you ask where this quan originates, it is at shaolin monastery".

i guess they revised it for more than technical accuracy of the sets.

as for xiaohongquan erlu, it (the old encyc.) is a bit vague, but says it was created by monks who left the order and returned home (huánsúsēng 还俗僧) by combing the basic skills of shaolin xiaohongquan, luohan 18 shou, and other sets. then describes its attributes. finally it says the set is practiced today by no fewer than 50,000 people. among those who have mastered it are ven. sufa (素法) and deyan (德炎, the female co-author). it also says they copied the set down based on her demonstration of it.

as far as history, the poem is a bit more specific. it says it was passed on by monk rujing (如精), and originally from zhenkui (真魁). it doesnt really give a date, but you can figure. these are 23rd and 24th generation monks. definitely within the qing dynasty still. maybe 1700's.

clues: monks returning home, 23rd and 24th generation monks named... it was probably from around the time the monastery was destroyed by the qing government for suspected anti-qing activity. whichever date that may have been approximately.
    Well, we can call the Shaolin Encyc. the Da Quan Book, which is what it is named in Chinese, much shorter, yes?

taizu guandong dahongquan is what it is called in history books as well. So, they must have corrected that. Hmmm.

now about it saying "monks returning".

There's two periods:
    During the mid 1600s, ALL the monks attending religious services were massacred by the rebel leader Li, who felt that they were too loyal to the emperor, whether it be Ming or Qing.
    The only people who didn't die were those that weren't there that day. I mean everyone was killed by hundreds of rebel armymen, they waited till the monks were in services and unawares. This a historical fact. They destroyed the temple grounds as well, demolished most of it.
    So, I would think this is when some monks came back, if they were ordained monks.

In the mid 1700s, the Qing emperor, REBUILT Shaolin completely. BUT< he used this as an opportunity to evict and destroy all the shrine area temples, where the anti-Qing rebels hid out and where the guard Martial Monks were stationed, who were not ordained. They were rebels who posed as monks, learning Shaolin martial arts, but not being religious.
    These "monks" spread out at that time to Shandong and spread the Kanjia Quan (which become Bei Shaolin 10 famous sets), Shaolin Hong Quan, and Shaolin Chang Quan. Some went to Hebei where they spread Luohan Quan and other styles. Some went to other provinces and spread what they had specialized on as well. This was a big Shaolin diaspora but they weren't religious monks at all.
    Last edited by Sal Canzonieri; 10-27-2009 at 11:42 AM.

well, you can say the daquan book. but since i havent gotten mine i have to say the baikequanshu... "encyc." is fine for now.

by the way, does the daquan book have the laojia hongquan set in it, or any shaolin manual you have?
    Last edited by LFJ; 10-27-2009 at 12:06 PM.

well, you can say the daquan book. but since i havent gotten mine i have to say the baikequanshu... "encyc." is fine for now.

by the way, does the daquan book have the laojia hongquan set in it, or any shaolin manual you have?
    No, none of the three versions I have of the Encyc. has the Lao Hong Quan.

Only Liu Zhenhai has all four roads, with some "marks" put in - I was shown where exactly - in his Shaolin Da Lu book (didn't I give you the ISBN in a PM?). Its been recently reissued in China.

If you get the book, I will tell you where the marks are in a PM or you will get really mixed up at certain points.

Oh, I think you meant the Lao JIA Hong Quan as in the long version of Xiao Hong Quan, same answer. But Shi De Jun has an accurate VCD.
    It's the same way I learned it, also on russbo website they have someone doing it.
    There was a long thread about it there, I had posted the lyrics to the long version and explained how it is different from the Xiao version. Check it out there.
    Last edited by Sal Canzonieri; 10-27-2009 at 12:20 PM.

yes i meant the laojia hongquan. dejun does a great job of it. i was interested in seeing what the encyc. might say about its history.

the liu zhenhai book you must have talked to "rendahai" about.

i'm book-shopping now anyway. need to get the new daquan book.

yes i meant the laojia hongquan. dejun does a great job of it. i was interested in seeing what the encyc. might say about its history.

the liu zhenhai book you must have talked to "rendahai" about.

i'm book-shopping now anyway. need to get the new daquan book.
    I really don't like the wushu-ized photos of the sets in the new 2 volume version, but sometimes they fix things that were wrong in the drawings in the 4 volume version, you just have to ignore the "modern" look. The last third of the volume is the same drawings, no photos, the rare sets where you really would like to see a person do the set instead of a cartoon.

about the book,

you can get the first issue of it;
    http://shop.kongfz.com/book/6925/12855772.html

or this http://www.frelax.com/cgilocal/enite...&id=SLCT052130
    which maybe the second issue of it. but it does not credit liu zhenhai

oh, it has yuanhouquan in it too?

oh, it has yuanhouquan in it too?
    yes! and it is perfectly done.

Also, the mostly full version of Da Luohan
    and the weird 18 Luohan hands set from Li Sou
    Da mei hua
    Yan Qing Quan
    Meteor Fist
    The twoTong Bi Quan sets
    and Five Elements Linking form (some marked postures)
    and lots of old traditional weapon sets
    Last edited by Sal Canzonieri; 10-27-2009 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chanboxer View Post
    about the book,

you can get the first issue of it;
    http://shop.kongfz.com/book/6925/12855772.html

or this http://www.frelax.com/cgilocal/enite...&id=SLCT052130
    which maybe the second issue of it. but it does not credit liu zhenhai
    Frelax might be out of stock with that version.

LFJ

Can you order two books for me from Kongfz.com ?
    I can paypal you the money or trade you books for it?
    I have the 5 Tagou books I want to trade and other extra stuff.

If they will send to the USA, maybe you can just order for me and I can pay directly?
    I can't read everything on that site. so I don't know how to do it for myself.

There's two books they have that I must get, I've been looking for them for many years!

i can look. what are the titles?

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    Frelax might be out of stock with that version.
    what makes you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by chanboxer View Post
    what makes you say that?
    They have been telling me that they are out of stock most of the time when I ordered the older books.

i can look. what are the titles?
    少林內功:柔形捶·云龍劍·修身功

and

中国洪洞通背拳

and

禅拳
    Last edited by Sal Canzonieri; 10-27-2009 at 02:13 PM.

found them. i will look into the options. right now i'm trying to order some from another chinese site that doesnt seem to be working....