Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Wing Chun Useless?

Yoshiyahu,

Why are you worried about this? I used to study Wing Chun and the school I went to closed. I tried BJJ and I liked it so I stuck with it. No big deal, I still work some of my Wing Chun on my own because I enjoy it and I consider myself a hobbyist BJJ player who likes learning new stuff and getting a chance to roll once or twice a week.

Unless you are training to be a fighter, which most people aren't, do your art, enjoy your self and realize it gives you an advantage that you wouldn't have had if you didn't train.

If you don't want to get in fights one of the best rules is to avoid places with large amounts alcohol and testosterone.

Is not a contest about who has the best MA, its about what your MA gives to you and whether or not you are happy with how you train.

Go now grasshopper, the sun is warm, the sky is blue and there is still much chi sao to be played.

m1k3, that is a very sunny outlook you have. Good on you!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post

Tom Wong has defeated black belts in Gracie Jiujitsu with pure Wing Chun only.
    who has he defeated (AGAIN)
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Tom Wong

Who is he and why does it matter what he did or didnt do?

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    why does it matter what he did or didnt do?

joy chaudhuri
    pretty simple joy, because he claims to do something unusual he should be able to back it up with details

or, how about this, I have beaten badly five very famous and respected wing chun sifu, made them all cry, I'm not telling you who, but they are very famous and I embarassed all of them, don't ask me for details, but it's true, just trust me
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    pretty simple joy, because he claims to do something unusual he should be able to back it up with details

or, how about this, I have beaten badly five very famous and respected wing chun sifu, made them all cry, I'm not telling you who, but they are very famous and I embarassed all of them, don't ask me for details, but it's true, just trust me

Was one of them Emin B? You can tell me, I won't tell any else, I promise.

joy chaudhuri
    Claiming to do something and not doing it is fraud, no?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

WCK is not useless, but YMMV.

At least most of the time its entertaining.

Tom Wong

Tom Wong hasn't claimed anything on this thread.
    Yoshiyahu just stirring the waters.

joy chaudhuri

joy chaudhuri
    Actually, a valid point, you are quite correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Is Wing Chun alone only good enough to fight untrained fighters.

Is Wing Chun alone incapable of defeating fighter who is skilled in both Muay Thai and Wrestling?

Lets say some has been studing and fighting with Wing Chun alone for twenty years. Would it be safe to say that if that WC fighter would loose if he got in a bar fight with skilled MMA fighter or someone who studies both boxing and BJJ?

Whats your take is Pure Wing Chun alone not capable of standing up to Mix Martial Art fighters?
    For me - it comes down to one thing: trust.

Do you trust your skills? If not - train harder.
    Do you trust yourself? If not - dig deeper.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post

The training and the digging is only part of it, the testing is vital.
    And if one doesn't believe in "sport" testing than there is still 'real world" testing that one can do, I know I did.
    There was a point where I questioned wither my experience in full contact sport fighting was "valid" for the street.
    What did I do?
    I got a job bouncing and I had many a chance to test my skills in the "real world".

Questions wow

I agree. I have been doing WC for a while now. To me its one of the best styles for me. Thats my personal opinion. It kinda of grew on me over time. As for being worried about this. I find it strange that some people believe that if someone practices just one art or only striking arts they will incapable of defeating a grappler or ground fighter? This perplexing to me. After ground fighting is just another art to fight and all arts have weaknesses. The one who is more skilled at exploiting their opponents weaknesses will win. Sometimes you will know the weakness of hand. Other times you will find out as you feel your opponent out by contact. So far you message is very very enlighten on this thread m1k3 thanks for posting a response....

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    Yoshiyahu,

Why are you worried about this? I used to study Wing Chun and the school I went to closed. I tried BJJ and I liked it so I stuck with it. No big deal, I still work some of my Wing Chun on my own because I enjoy it and I consider myself a hobbyist BJJ player who likes learning new stuff and getting a chance to roll once or twice a week.

Unless you are training to be a fighter, which most people aren't, do your art, enjoy your self and realize it gives you an advantage that you wouldn't have had if you didn't train.

If you don't want to get in fights one of the best rules is to avoid places with large amounts alcohol and testosterone.

Is not a contest about who has the best MA, its about what your MA gives to you and whether or not you are happy with how you train.

Go now grasshopper, the sun is warm, the sky is blue and there is still much chi sao to be played.
    Well I have read some articles where people who have studied various ground fighting arts and striking arts were defeated by Tom Wong. An later became his students. I don't know if he defeated any UFC fighters. But the same can be said about most Martial Artist Sifu's and Sensi's

Most highly skilled Martial Artist do not participate in UFC or MMA competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    who has he defeated (AGAIN)

joy chaudhuri

joy chaudhuri

Your Post Couch is great indeed. Thank you for posting...
    Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post

Thank you again MJW wounderful just wounderful!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    Wing Chun can win just like the other can win, it just depends on the situation.
    As for Wong his stuff looks impressive however it looks like he's not a WCK purist then again who is? Take in what works for you and throw out what doesn't.
    Yes I am newbie to the forum I just signed up this past feburary...what about how did you become unbannable?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Yes, yes you are.
    Sorry, Ultimate WC to upset you. I never said WC will always come out the winner. A beginner who has only 10 classes of WC can not be expected to defeat one of the gracies? But someone who has more hours of study in their art and has a higher level of skill than the Gracies can defeat the gracies with mere WC only. Also other factors play a part. Injuries,Mistakes or you just had a bad day an lost the fight.

I am not saying only WC is ultimate fighting style. What I am saying is someone with a higher skill level of Judo will defeat a BJJ fighter. Someone who has a higer skill level in Tiger Claw will defeat a MMA fighter. Some who skill level is higher than Muay Thai Fighter will defeat that Thai Fighter. The main factor is skill. If they both have equal skill than smarter one wins. If they are both cunning and strategically sound then the stronger one will win. If they are equal on all those points the one who is fastest will win. But essentially it boils down to who has the most skill? I don't see a Yellow Belt BJJ fighter defeating a Ten Degree black belt in shotokan Karate. Especially if the Shotokan guy has uses his art in and out of the ring!!!!

Again Ultimate Wing Chun, very sad post here. I am sorry i didnt please you. I cant please everyone. Sorry to insight you to write so negatively...May Yahweh bless you with peace of mind Amein!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    What's useless, Yoshiyahu, is your constant and relentless attitude that "somehow"...."someway"...

WING CHUN MUST be made to work efficiently (ie.- the wing chun fighter will always come out the winner) in situations where wing chun obviously has its limitations.

LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The training and the digging is only part of it, the testing is vital.
    And if one doesn't believe in "sport" testing than there is still 'real world" testing that one can do, I know I did.
    There was a point where I questioned wither my experience in full contact sport fighting was "valid" for the street.
    What did I do?
    I got a job bouncing and I had many a chance to test my skills in the "real world".
    And as a bouncer, you have to carefully tread a line between keen discussion and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Most skillful bouncers show that you do not have to resort to use martial arts in 99.9% of the time.

Heck, when I did handgun training, you learn to be polite always in an armed society.

I guess again we have to have the discussion of lower 3 chakra life orientation versus the upper 4.

Well I have read some articles where people who have studied various ground fighting arts and striking arts were defeated by Tom Wong. An later became his students. I don't know if he defeated any UFC fighters. But the same can be said about most Martial Artist Sifu's and Sensi's
    You said he defeated BJJ Black belts, those were your words.