Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Disadvantages of sparring?

IGNORE/ignore this guy...will ya' please!

God, so much time wasted dealing with the views of Terence Niehoff.

What a friggin' joke!

Basically no one around here has even seen this guy. Much less touch hands with him. And we all know that he'll never post anything of himself doing anything. And he'll never show up anywhere unless there are "his" people there to literally protect him. And he constantly tells us that his skills are basically mediocre at best. And so many of his views are clearly flawed, hypocritical, disengenuous, and arrogant.

But because he bombards virtually every thread with the same old drone of a strawman argument again-and-again....people always respond to him.

WHAT A FRIGGIN' JOKE!
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 10-31-2007 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    God, so much time wasted dealing with the views of Terence Niehoff.

What a friggin' joke!

Basically no one around here has even seen this guy. Much less touch hands with him. And we all know that he'll never post anything of himself doing anything. And he'll never show up anywhere unless there are "his" people there to literally protect him. And he constantly tells us that his skills are basically mediocre at best. And so many of his views are clearly flawed, hypocritical, disengenuous, and arrogant.

But because he bombards virtually every thread witht the same old drone of a strawman argument again-and-again....people always respond to him.

WHAT A FRIGGIN' JOKE!
    Hmmm, I would be guilty as charged then.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Yes, you're found guilty as charged. But the court grants you a suspended sentence!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    Yes, you're found guilty as charged. But the court grants you a suspended sentence!
    LOL, Thanks.
    I ahve to admit, arguing with T is lots of fun and almost addictive !

Another thread ruined by Terence Niehoff

I agree with Victor. This guy (Terence) ruins every thread - and effectively prevents any meaningful discussion by inciting others. It's almost like he is mentally ill - and simply cannot resist infecting every thread with his views on the traditional martial arts. I guess that is what happens when a forum is poorly moderated, and anyone can effectively use every thread as opportunity to spew the same message. It's like having every TV station turn into the same infomercial after watching it for five minutes. You get five minutes of your favorite show - then BAM the show is interrupted by the same infomercial. You turn the station (go to another thread), then BAM - Terence shows up with his infomercial. Terence, if your fighting skill is even a fraction of your annoyance skill - you must be one of the best fighters in the world. I wonder how much you would say at a seminar - where there might be consequences for your comments?

Truth be it said, this thread would have been over in a couple of pages without the T-Man, even less maybe.

That may be true. You could be right about that. But then again, new threads pop up all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by nschmelzer View Post
    Terence, if your fighting skill is even a fraction of your annoyance skill - you must be one of the best fighters in the world. I wonder how much you would say at a seminar - where there might be consequences for your comments?
    haha, if only that were the case! Obviously, his WC sucked and he didn't get it. Now he preaches the 'gospel' of MMA, yet that doesn't work for him either (by still having admittedly poor skills). He's so clueless, it's comical if not entirely sad..

Victor's probably right on this one, but it's fun giving T the energy which allows him to shoot himself in the face time and again

Terrence-
    The whole notion/idea of "master" is rooted in TMA and the tradtitional mindset. And the whole notion/idea is silly and meaningless and unnecessary. Is Labron James a "master" at basketball? Is Lennox Lewis a "master" at boxing? Of course not. The whole "master" notion is part of the role-playing, idol (image)-worshipping aspect of the traditional mindset. In every other sport or athletic activity, you are only as good as your performance ability.
    Next time I run into a Master of any sort (Chef, Electrician, someone with a Masters degree) I will make sure and set them straight.

As much as you rant about traditional roles in MA not really being about respect, the way you present yourself here IMO shows you know little if anything about respect. You talk a lot of crap but are the first to take the "i't isn't about me" approach when anyone calls you out. Honestly it's not about the content it's about the delivery.

Matt
    People often choose the comfort of known misery
    to the discomfort of unfamiliar uncertainty -Unknown

Hmmm.... I am not saying modern training methods are not good, but I have met a fair number of traditionally trained WCK fighters who are really, really good....

It seems to me it is the modern "do it for fun" Wing Chunners who are trained the "commercial" ways who are not cutting it....

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Haha.

Keep it up T.

Deep down you all know he's right.

Hahaha.

Yeah riiiiiight !!!

So what this thread is saying, is that the disadvantage/s of sparring is/are that Terrence is an a55???

'cmon, let's get back on subject....

I will argue that focusing on the negatives of an excercise, especially when out weighed by the positives, is ludacris...

What are the disadvantages of doing forms?

What are the disadvantages of doing chi sau?

What are the disadvantages of strength training?

...focus on the postitive, people....what are the advantages?
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

What are the disadvantages of doing forms?
    They don't translate directly to real world applications, can cause functionally bad habits, when done out of context for which they were created they can hamper development, if they are prioritized over actual fighting and sparring, they can turn ones MA skills less than effective.

What are the disadvantages of strength training?
    If done incorrectly, ST can cause irreperable damage and at the very least, hamper MA skills.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    They don't translate directly to real world applications, can cause functionally bad habits, when done out of context for which they were created they can hamper development, if they are prioritized over actual fighting and sparring, they can turn ones MA skills less than effective.

If done incorrectly, ST can cause irreperable damage and at the very least, hamper MA skills.
    My point exactly....

The positives still out-weigh the negatives...
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford