Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Style, concept, or art

Well Oskar would keep away from Chuck in the octagon. Chuck would want to throw his overhand right all the time and oskar would catch him with a few jabs. Boxer's have to wear those thick gloves because if they used the gloves of an MMA fighter the boxing match would be over faster than a usual fight.

Oskar would knock out Chuck, not with ease, but he would knock Chuck out plain and simple. Oskar would not let Chuck take him down, he would keep away from him.

Quote Originally Posted by JKDISBEST View Post
    Well Oskar would keep away from Chuck in the octagon. Chuck would want to throw his overhand right all the time and oskar would catch him with a few jabs. Boxer's have to wear those thick gloves because if they used the gloves of an MMA fighter the boxing match would be over faster than a usual fight.

Oskar would knock out Chuck, not with ease, but he would knock Chuck out plain and simple. Oskar would not let Chuck take him down, he would keep away from him.

Words fail me.

...and exactly how do you know this to be true?
    (what you believe would happen, and what really would happen probably aren't the same)
    ...and how about against Fedor?
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Ok, I'll post one more thing here about JKD. Anyone who has any doubts on it should read Bruce Lee: Artist of Life, all your answers are there from Bruce himself.

As for MMA, I just don't like it, that's my personal view, I don't like fighting for the sake of fighting, in my opinion fighting shouldn't be a sport but a last resort of self defense.

To paraphrase Bruce Lee I view Martial Arts as a mirror through which we view ourselves.
    "Jeet Kune Do is the art not founded on technique or doctrine. It is just as you are." -Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by zippo_88 View Post
    Ok, I'll post one more thing here about JKD. Anyone who has any doubts on it should read Bruce Lee: Artist of Life, all your answers are there from Bruce himself.

As for MMA, I just don't like it, that's my personal view, I don't like fighting for the sake of fighting, in my opinion fighting shouldn't be a sport but a last resort of self defense.

To paraphrase Bruce Lee I view Martial Arts as a mirror through which we view ourselves.

I believe Bruce would have been all about the MMA (one word, Beimo).
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Ok, watch a boxer in the ring and watch a UFC fighter or Bodog fighter in the ring. You can see the difference. Boxers are not fatiqued as fast as the Guys in say UFC even though they take harder hits. Whether you guys want to admit it or not you all know an MMA guy could be beat by any boxer hands down.

Like Zippo I don't like MMA is stupid pointless, not because of the violence but because of the horrible punches and kicks and the way that MMA fighters conduct themselves in the ring. I think that groundfighting is pointless seeing as how I am learning the artform of Jeet Kune Do I feel as though a fight should be ended as fast as possible with as little energy used.

MMA is not about being Fluent with their punches or kicks, they go straight for a takedown which is dumb they should go for a simple fast knockout instead of grounding their opponents.

Ok, watch a boxer in the ring and watch a UFC fighter or Bodog fighter in the ring. You can see the difference. Boxers are not fatiqued as fast as the Guys in say UFC even though they take harder hits. Whether you guys want to admit it or not you all know an MMA guy could be beat by any boxer hands down.

Like Zippo I don't like MMA is stupid pointless, not because of the violence but because of the horrible punches and kicks and the way that MMA fighters conduct themselves in the ring. I think that groundfighting is pointless seeing as how I am learning the artform of Jeet Kune Do I feel as though a fight should be ended as fast as possible with as little energy used.

MMA is not about being Fluent with their punches or kicks, they go straight for a takedown which is dumb they should go for a simple fast knockout instead of grounding their opponents.
    You need to see more MMA or train in it for a bit, I think it would be a great eye opener, and this coming from someone that doesn't care much for sport of MMA.

First of all, boxers get into MMA all the time. They quickly learn the need for grappling skills and often add muay thai to the mix. Second of all, there are knockouts in MMA all the time. Have you seen Mirko Crocop or Fedor fight? How about Dan Henderson?

Third, you admit that the "horrible" punches and kicks would destroy most average martial artists, which I guess would make MMA guys above average martial artists. Logically.

And I'm glad you think ground fighting is pointless, since Bruce spent time with jujutsu/judo men and put straight armbars into his movies in the '60's. You've never sparred a grappler, have you? Going to the ground isn't always a choice. The more you write, the more I think that you've never really sparred anyone from outside of your style. Who thinks punches and kicks in a real fight look as good as in the kwoon/dojo/dojang/whatever?

And you've never addressed Taky Kimura's take on Jun Fan/JKD.

Brian
    "I will annihilate you using a combination of martial taiji, bagua, and krav maga. Now grab my arm with one hand on my wrist and the other one on my elbow... it has to be right on the elbow or it won't work." -Dale Gribble

JKDISBEST, I just checked your profile, and perhaps I've been a bit harsh. All I will say is, perhaps you should hold off on judging professional fighters until you've been training for at least a few years. You are making some assumptions which experience will probably alter over the years.

And maybe also hold off on interpreting Bruce's writings for a bit. Bruce did not want a codified system, and for all his paraphrasing of J. Krishnamurti, he thought the primary function of martial arts was development of fighting skill. Everything else is "doing something about fighting." And even if you believe martial arts are only for last ditch self-defense, they won't work for you if you never test them in pressure situations. Street fights are ideal for pressure testing, but for civilized types the ring is the next best option. Ever seen that old footage of Bruce and the other Yip Man boys in those rooftop fights in Hong Kong? If your pushing JKD as a non-martial form of personal development, you might be misinterpreting some things.

Brian
    "I will annihilate you using a combination of martial taiji, bagua, and krav maga. Now grab my arm with one hand on my wrist and the other one on my elbow... it has to be right on the elbow or it won't work." -Dale Gribble