Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Yang Jwing-Ming's kung fu retreat?

Quote Originally Posted by TaiChiBob View Post
    MMA is a very successful and fight-tested discipline, but.. it suffers from the same constraints that CMA does.. rules!! Each perspective of the sport-fight game picks at the other from a rules based perspective.. at the end of the day, i expect my training to save my butt in the street,
    How do you train for your no rules street fights? I'm guessing you still have rules in your training, otherwise you would all be injured or dead.

"How do you train for your no rules street fights? I'm guessing you still have rules in your training, otherwise you would all be injured or dead."

LOL.
    ________
    M57
    Last edited by mantiskilla; 04-22-2011 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    I myself would love to do a 2 week camping trip where I could do some primative camping, hiking, and daily Kung Fu.
    Sounds good to me too. If not maybe we can get an informal group of camping kung fu nuts together and set up our own retreat. Or we could do like the rainbow people and start our own gatherings around the country.

That is not a bad idea. I am actually waiting for our group to grow some students, so I can start a annual camping trip to Starved Rock every year.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

heck, there are ground-fighters that lay down and beg the stand-up fighters to play their game, and that's embarassing to watch..

Reply]
    I have seen this too. I allways wondered why no one stomps these morons in the Nads...
    Because it is hard to kick someone there when they are using open guard and kicking back at you... try it sometime.

Greetings..

"How do you train for your no rules street fights? I'm guessing you still have rules in your training, otherwise you would all be injured or dead."
    Absolutely, no rules would be a bit irresponsible.. the point of the excerpt, which i may have not made clear enough, is that results in a controlled environment will favor the home-team (rules).. results in the street, where it actually matters, will differ.. if someone trains to dominate a sport venue, no problem.. but, i think there is good wisdom in training for street encounters.. being aware of multiple opponents, conditions on the ground, furniture and such odds and ends that might be used as weapons, etc... the mount leaves both opponents vulnerable from the other's buddies.. ground conditions, like in a bar, are sometimes too unsanitary for mixing with blood.. i have actually seen a guy make the mount and get a boot in the back of his head from his opponent's buddy..

Too many people (MMA) think that the ground game is superior.. i think it is just another tool to be used in measured proportion to the situation. Street situations have many variables which indicate the wisdom of stand-up combat, too much reliance on a ground game might compromise a street encounter. While i have trained for the likelihood that i could end up on the ground, i prefer the stand-up game.. my ground game is weaker than my stand-up and it is focused on getting back on my feet (unless the opponent just screws up and offers me the finishing move)..

MMA is a great tool in the Martial Artists arsenal, especially if it's usefulness is clearly understood..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

If he is going to do this, I would like to see him offer camps, seminars and such for the general public, and make it possible for others to join the original group if some sort of requirements are met.

I myself would love to do a 2 week camping trip where I could do some primative camping, hiking, and daily Kung Fu.
    Ditto.

Especially if he plans on stopping his normal seminars (I seem to remember his website saying something to that effect). I've got a couple of the guy's books, and would love to train with him. But ain't no way I'm gonna pack up for 10 years to do it.

Besides, after a few years of training, he's gonna have to start teaching them how to teach. And he's gonna need more students to do that. Otherwise, they're going to be very well trained guys with startup cash for a school and no idea how to relate to the variety of people that they'll come across.

Plus, more money for Dr. Yang. Of course he's trying to make money with this (Who in their right mind wouldn't if they could?). And if he's plays half a good a game as he talks, I don't mind shelling out some cash.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

a couple of thoughts, not really directed at anyone:

1.kung fu IS (or should be) MMA. In that it should produce a fighter that has multiple skills at different ranges. at least that is the way my sifu teaches me and he is 'old school' from HK (he also loves to watch UFC, lol).

2. if you can take care of yourself in a ring with knees, legs, fists, elbows coming at you from someone wanting to hurt you, then i think you'll be just fine in the 'street' (whatever that term means...never really figured it out). its the aggression AND usage factor that most kung fu is lacking in practice. if you dont use the right tools in any situation you may have a problem, but if you practice multiple skills (MMA/Kung fu) and you practice with full aggression...you should learn how and when to use those tools.
    ________
    FIND HEADSHOP
    Last edited by mantiskilla; 04-22-2011 at 06:05 AM.

Because it is hard to kick someone there when they are using open guard and kicking back at you... try it sometime.

Reply]
    Oh really? How about you lay down on your back, spread your legs, and then try and stop me Pal...

Really KF, that has got to be the dumbest thing you have ever said.......
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Reply]
    Oh really? How about you lay down on your back, spread your legs, and then try and stop me Pal...

The real reason, as you know RD, is that the rules don't allow crotch stomps.

Greetings..

Really KF, that has got to be the dumbest thing you have ever said..
    Yeah, that's what i thought, too.. but, if it's a good MMA fighter, you will be unpleasantly surprised.. Yao Sing knows Troy P... and, you are much more likely to end up on your butt than "stomping crotch" with Troy.. A good MMA fighter on his back is still quite dangerous, deceptively so..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Reply]

Actually if anything the guy standing is more vunerable to a groin kick than the other guy since he can only use one leg at a time (as he needs at least one leg to stand on) whereas the guy on his back is free to use both his legs and does not have to worry about maintaining his balance. Per KF, try it sometime.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

So, then kick him like a football......

For the Women:

+ = & a

Reply]
    Considering the fact that I have been using this for years, I'd be more than willing to do this.

I'll bet I can blow out your knee before your can manage a damaging groin shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Forrer View Post
    Actually if anything the guy standing is more vunerable to a groin kick than the other guy since he can only use one leg at a time (as he needs at least one leg to stand on) whereas the guy on his back is free to use both his legs and does not have to worry about maintaining his balance. Per KF, try it sometime.
    The top guy is actually not very vulnerable to groin shots. His knees are the areas that are open. The top guy is more apt to get his knees blown out than he is to land groin shots.