Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pole

Weng Chun is not Wing Chun.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    But a stick is a stick, pole is a pole

Both Weng and Wing Chuns pole is an inherited set from other arts so does it really matter?! As long as it connects at its most fundamental level to your Wing Chun training all is good in da hood
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Didn't Sifu Sergio suggest that Yip Man's pole form might have been influenced by the Weng Chun people he exchanged with at Dai Duk Lan when he was in Hong Kong?
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    The pole holds many little secrets regarding any manipulation method like Lapsau but it may depends on what and how you learn the pole.
    Well I found it quite effective. It was a bit scary though, lots of potential for serious injuries when you have the arm lined up along the jic seen and then apply a technique into the opponents center along that line. Just a tiny bit of rotational and fa jing energy was enough to make my training partner wince.

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    Didn't Sifu Sergio suggest that Yip Man's pole form might have been influenced by the Weng Chun people he exchanged with at Dai Duk Lan when he was in Hong Kong?
    Studied both, though admittedly Chi Sim not as seriously and not the pole in CS.

For my money, the body mechanics of Weng Chun and Wing Chun are incompatible.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    But a stick is a stick, pole is a pole

Both Weng and Wing Chuns pole is an inherited set from other arts so does it really matter?! As long as it connects at its most fundamental level to your Wing Chun training all is good in da hood
    That's like saying all swordfighting is the same because you stick the pointy bit in the other guy.

That's like saying all swordfighting is the same because you stick the pointy bit in the other guy.
    Well isn't it? If we are talking about a system of pole fighting and only family variations? Mind you we all only have two arms and two legs and we manage to be totally different how we train and apply our systems.

So I do see you're point
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Was that a Game of Thrones reference?

You pervert.

You pervert.
    Haha, I was more going for this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mcUPY0RMdU

Hey - don't judge. I get all my relationship advice from Game of Thrones

http://mashable.com/2013/08/14/datin...me-of-thrones/

If we're talking clips an swords I like to keep it in reality

http://youtu.be/6r7VWIQCHvM

But we are talking about Wing Chun Pole so can you see any similarities?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    This is very good stuff! Weng Chun rather than Wing Chun, as has been already stated, but I think most of us could learn a lot from this clip alone. I've found that Wing Chun's pole form varies quite a bit even within different Ip Man lineages. And the various versions of Ip Man's pole form use the square horse, cat stance, etc. So there are a lot of similarities. Unlike the previous comment, I don' find that the body mechanics used in Wing Chun pole and Weng Chun pole are really all that different. The body mechanics used in the empty hand phase are certainly different. But the pole not so much. If anything, Wing Chun pole is more like Weng Chun's empty hand mechanics that it is like Wing Chun's empty hand mechanics!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    This is very good stuff! Weng Chun rather than Wing Chun, as has been already stated, but I think most of us could learn a lot from this clip alone. I've found that Wing Chun's pole form varies quite a bit even within different Ip Man lineages.
    What are we to learn from this clip alone? How to copy things we do not know? lol!

It seems odd to me that this kind of old B&W clip is put in high regard even though it has very little, if anything, to do with the Wing Chun system (according to most) and yet a clip of my own Sigung practising his pole is slammed for being 'his own invention', and he was one of the first representatives of Ip Man in Europe alongside guys like Lok Yiu who was also known as 'King of the stick'!

Maybe I'm just a bit jealous of this Tang Yik lineage but the acceptance and praise for it just don't make sense to me at all considering...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I missed the clip of your Sigung's pole form. Could you post a link?

I missed the clip of your Sigung's pole form. Could you post a link?
    There isn't a 'full' set available anywhere online, only small scenes were included in a promotional DVD advert

http://youtu.be/3dD6_7mzAQs

Austin Goh demos have been out there for years and one of Joe Lees guys has put stuff out more recently, and both are a little different from eachother and from my own.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術