Thread: I switched majors

Threaded View

It is better to take advantage of Tuition Assistance while on active duty since you get most, if not all, paid for. I am not up on the Montgomery GI Bill

I was at BAF in 2010-2011 and there were quite a few active duty personnel taking advantage of tuition asistance but it was still a low percentage who actually finish to get a degree. It also depends on how long you stay where you are because your next duty station will not have the same university presence.

Webster University, more than most, is well known but it may not have the programme one may be interested in at last duty station

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7
    So how does it work when you're deployed? Do you do an online thing or what? Or is it like an apprenticeship considering people with those skills are most likely already there with you. Do you go thru an institution you plan to go back to? Or do you do it directly thru the military transfer program or whatever? If online, was it just correspondence before???
    1. You CLEP all you can
    2. DANTES (They conduct most all level of testing for DOD and military personnel)
    3. I worked with alot of USAF personnel and quite a few of them were c-130/AIrframe/Power plant mechanics so since Embry Riddle was at BAF. some credit would be transferable. If in doubt, then CLEP, then specific certificate designation per level of MOS/job position.
    4. If the same person went to Turkey and Embry Riddle was not there, then if applicable, an online course if available. If not, then they will have to wait until they got to an Embry Riddle campus. I know of one person who took 9 years to get a BS degree in electrical engineering but he enetred the Air Force at 18 so that wasn't bad. He just had to skip a few years because his duty station did not have a university presence.
    5. With the new online presence, it would seem to be an improvement but the more technical the equipment, the presence of the educational facility would be mandatory.
    Last edited by mawali; 01-09-2013 at 09:29 PM.