Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu styles are universal

Kung Fu styles are universal

I've been training quite sometime with my sifu in white crane style, and he's also quite a philosopher. He tells me that if u at all the styles in Kung Fu, they are all universal. What do you guys think?

Manilla Crane,

Please tell me more about your White Cane style. Is it Fuzhou related White Crane Boxing?

Ron Goninan
    China Fuzhou Zhenlan Crane Boxing Australia
    White Crane Research Institute Inc
    http://www.whitecranegongfu.info
    A seeker of the way

Quote Originally Posted by ManilaCrane View Post
    I've been training quite sometime with my sifu in white crane style, and he's also quite a philosopher. He tells me that if u at all the styles in Kung Fu, they are all universal. What do you guys think?
    When training all arts look different, when fighting they tend to all look alike. Even when one starts out moving according to their style's preference, once active engagement occurs they all revert to similar looking actions!

A punch is a punch, a kick is a kick, a throw is a throw. They all follow the same principles.

Most differences between arts are artificially constructed for philosophical reasons.

The goal of fighting is to win against an opponent, whether on the war scale or a personal level.

Knowing this, observe your enemy's method, identify his weaknesses and attack them using methods they are unfamiliar with defending against. It is that simple!

I agree With your master.

All Wushu uses the same principles. In combat you are formless. Once a strike makes contact, it doesn't matter which route it took.

The concept of Wu is the same, you can read the art of war and apply it to personal combat, to any style. It relies on principles not specifics.

i think your teacher is wise.

well, they all come from shaolin right?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

After a certain point you start to see the similarities rather than look for differences.

well

cranes use the beak to strike and also flapping the wing (arm) close and then open to strike, standing on one leg to kick--

tigers use the tiger claws to jump on you, control (qin na)--

universal in solutions to fighting problems

and yet cranes have no claws

tigers have no wings

and human has neither

---

we are assuming the shape/form (xiang xing) and mimicking the functions/purposes/intents (chu yi)

--

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    After a certain point you start to see the similarities rather than look for differences.
    I liked this quote......... So True.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    well, they all come from shaolin right?
    I thought they all came from Shinanju!

What you say is most true, the differences lay in the training methods that are particular to each system.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    I thought they all came from Shinanju!
    i believe you are referring to sunny joe.

lets ask remo, he knows.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Minghequan View Post
    Manilla Crane,

Please tell me more about your White Cane style. Is it Fuzhou related White Crane Boxing?
    The white crane boxing that i practice is Toisan White Crane. Its similar to Tibetan style, except the style uses both short and long range fist. Plus the style is deceptive and aggressive at the same time. The style was brought to the US by Sigong Rhu Zhu.

Awesome! looks like if i can completely master the system, i can incorporate other gung fu techniques into my form, then i can make my own "style" while keeping the same principles of kung fu. Just like decorating a christmas tree.

Awesome! looks like if i can completely master the system, i can incorporate other gung fu techniques into my form, then i can make my own "style" while keeping the same principles of kung fu. Just like decorating a christmas tree.
    I would recommend studying other non chinese martial arts systems as well. The perspective you would gain in doing so can only enhance your understanding of your chosen art. You may even come to the conclusion that all styles, Chinese or otherwise, are universal.