The Mamet factor is huge for this film. I'm surprised no one here has commented on it. Perhaps if I move it to the media forum, we'll have more cinemaphiles who can speak to that.

My understanding now is that Redbelt will have a limited release on May 2 (LA & NY) and a national release on May 9.

Legendary Director Mamet Takes on Mixed Martial Arts in ‘Redbelt’
Mixed martial arts a kick for Mamet
By Michelle Foody

HOLLYWOOD, CA (Hollywood Today) 4/24/08 — David Mamet is back. For his upcoming film, the legendary writer/director will tackle a brand new subject, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, using clichéd cinematic genres as his training ground: the classic under-dog fight movie, the samurai film, and the spaghetti western. Sure sounds different, and boy, is it. “Redbelt”, opening on May 2nd, follows an honor-bound Jiu-jitsu master sucked into the nasty worlds of Hollywood and mixed martial arts (MMA) prize fighting, simultaneously.

Mamet didn’t pick these fighting techniques merely because MMA happens to be the fastest growing sport, having eclipsed boxing and spreading like wildfire among the young, male demographic. No, Mamet himself has been practicing the art of jiu-jitsu, a philosophy as well as a fight style, for over 5 years. But the writer/director (“Wag the Dog”, “Heist”, “Spartan”, etc.) stressed that “Redbelt” “is not a martial arts movie”. Instead, he insists: “The movie is about a guy who doesn’t train fighters to compete, but he trains fighters to prevail… He is forced to participate in a competition and therefore he puts aside that ‘vow of poverty’, or higher calling.”

Curious to hear about being directed by the Pulitzer Prize winner and Oscar-nominee, using Mamet’s own screenplay, Hollywood Today sat down with five members of the film’s eclectic cast: English actors Chiwetel Ejiofor and Emily Mortimer, Brazilians Alice Braga and Bruno Silva, and boxers-turned-actors Ray “Boom-Boom” Mancini and Randy Couture.

Despite their varied backgrounds, from indie films to light weight knockouts, these actors all expressed a shared reason for tackling “Redbelt”: the opportunity to take on a Mamet movie.

“As soon as I knew that David was about to send me the script, I was pretty excited about it. I’m a huge fan of his work. I couldn’t imagine anything he’d send me that I’d turn down,” insisted Ejiofor, taking on the lead role, and all its physical demands, with gusto. And this is quite high praise, considering Ejiofor is no stranger to name directors, having worked on “Amistad” (Spielberg), “Inside Man” (Spike Lee) and “American Gangster” (Ridley Scott), to name a few.

His take on Mamet?

“He was much gentler than I’d thought he’d be, as a person”, laughed Ejiofor, himself a very charming and soft-spoken man.

Co-star Emily Mortimer compared Mamet to Woody Allen, her director for “Match Point” and also had only words of praise to share with Hollywood Today.

“I’ve found that working with these great directors, they have a confidence, which they bring to the set. You think it’ll be extremely exacting but it was actually quite easy-going”, the actress insisted. “David really created a part that was attractive to play as a woman actor, a woman who is both strong and who is also on the edge of sanity, almost having a nervous breakdown. You don’t often get to portray both of those in one part, especially as a woman.”

“Redbelt” features two complicated female characters, probably the most multi-faceted players in a film fixated on physical strength and masculinity. Besides Mortimer, there is also the protagonist’s wildcard wife, Sondra, played by Alice Braga. It’s extra unusual, as Mamet is not known for writing for, or about, women.

“I like the idea of portraying someone who you don’t know if they’re good or bad,” Braga told Hollywood Today. “She’s just struggling to live life. And to get what she wants.”

Rounding out this cast of characters are two real-life fighters, now duking it out for roles in Hollywood: Boom-Boom Mancini and Randy Couture.

“Dave Mamet is my Shakespeare. He read from the rhythm of the street, I’m a kid from the street, so I understand that. He’s a wonderful guy, he’s an “in your face” type of guy,” Mancini explained, his speech as fast as his jab. “When he said he was writing this particular character for me, I was very honored. Every actor wants to read David Mamet’s words.”

For his part, Mamet doesn’t make casting selections lightly.

“Casting’s more than really key, it’s the whole movie”, said Mamet. “If they can’t act or they’re the wrong person, you ain’t got nothing. It all comes down to casting”.

Brazilian actor Bruno Silva was shocked to find Mamet actually in the room when he auditioned: “Usually you read with a casting director, but David was doing the auditions himself. So I thought, well, at least I’ll get to meet him”.

So now only one question remains, for a movie dealing with both prizefights and Hollywood: What’s harder, fighting or movie-making?

“I tell people, I think fighting is easier. I get in that ring, lose or win, it’s in my hands. This [film] business, very little is in your hands. And there is something honest about fighting; I’m pitting myself against another man. Though the camera don’t punch back, the worse thing that can happen? Take 2. That ain’t so bad,” Boom Boom Mancini explained. “But acting is like fighting, when its good its good, when it stinks, it stinks.”

When “Redbelt” opens on May 2nd, we will find out if Mamet has another knockout up his sleeve.