Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Siu Lim Tao

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Geez Graham..... youve hurt my feelings
    And ill try to answer your well thought out question.
    Id suggest people leave lineages and go to others...... because they want to.
    It doesnt have to be a measurement of the school, maybe the person just wanted to go somewhere else.
    Personalities, class size, class mix, location etc etc would all contribute to people moving around.... just like a job
    So are you telling me that no one has ever left PB for another school??
    I'll tip my hat to him if thats true.
    Oh yeah...thats it......LOL. If you believe that then lets leave it at that and if you ever decide to go try for yourself then we can discuss. Until then shall we stop arguing??? People may think we are in love!!

GH

Quote Originally Posted by duende View Post
    What's to be confused?

A lot of us gave genuinely kind insights and perspectives on the matter. What's pseudo or sub-stylistic in that?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    No problem. Good if he is not confused. Confusion is not all bad... can be the beginning of clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Oh yeah...thats it......LOL. If you believe that then lets leave it at that and if you ever decide to go try for yourself then we can discuss. Until then shall we stop arguing??? People may think we are in love!!

GH

Id say at a guess ive tried a bit more than you dearest.... but youre right, lets agree to disagree

I'll repost this here because I think it can apply to this thread also

[/QUOTE] Originally Posted by kowloonboy Here is the biggest hurdle which I have been trying to jump or climb over for the last few months and losing motivation. After more research in Wing Chun on other sites, and from this forum. I now know that there are so many styles of Wing Chun, some Wing Chun systems have more form in their system then my current studying system.I am in the Yip Man lineage. Then there are also the political aspect in Wing Chun, different lineage, and so on. Just searching on the SLT form online, I see so many versions. Can other members please help me to overcome this big hurdle which I still fail to climb over.[/QUOTE]

"I know I've made some controversial statements of late but I hope my word can help.

The lineage/style of WC doesn't matter so much as the quality of the teacher. Some put a lot of stock into their Sifu's right away and give him an almost God-like persona. Personally I wouldn't recommend putting any stock into your Sifu until he has proven himself to you as much as you have proven yourself to him.

There are many different styles of good teaching out there. One thing I learned back when I was with the Fire Department was that, as a 'proby', you were going to get one of two styles of Captains. The one who is completely committed to your training and will bend over backwards to show you how to do just about everything. And the one who acts like he wants as little to do with you as possible. The latter won't lead you astray but he leaves the learning up to how bad you really want it, forcing you to figure out a lot of things on your own. Now, it's obvious, which Captain 99% of the 'probies' would go for if they had a choice. The interesting thing, however, was that the committed, goal-getter Captains pushed out robots, by-the-book clones of themselves, while the Captains that appeared to not care pushed out capable, think for themselves, problem solving kind of guys, whom were overall more efficient on the fireground. It seems backwards, doesn't it?

Myself, being one of the lucky ones,(who didn't think he was too lucky at the time!!), realized that by my Captain giving me nothing more than the basic tools of the job, it forced me to adapt my own body and mind uniquely to myself. Sure there were "principles" of firefighter safety that he would be quick to correct me on but ultimately at the end of the day, he couldn't show me how to chop through a roof or drag a 250lb hoseline any better than my body itself could make work. His body and his movement wasn't mine no matter how much our movements might have mirrored each other. So he didn't even try and by him doing that, I learned how to become more efficient with my physical tasks and to think outside the box.

The point is, that WC itself, regardless of lineage, are that basic set of tools. You might use the screwdriver like the label says or you might use it to stab open a can of beans. You might try to muscle that bolt off with the wrench or you might use a cheater bar to help you out. All that matters in your training is that someone shows you what each tool does and how it's 'normally' used. The rest is up to you with what you want to do with it!!

Good luck...

"The second-hand artist blindly following his sensei or sifu accepts his pattern. As a result, his action and, more importantly, his thinking become mechanical. His responses become automatic, according to set patterns, making him narrow and limited." -Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Id say at a guess ive tried a bit more than you dearest.... but youre right, lets agree to disagree
    Dearest? Aw bless! mwah

G

mvbrown21,

Thanks

Only use sound techs !

For a Martial art like WC which is supposed to favour simplicity and under complicated actions and/or less is more - type mindset, we certainly do have people that like to muddy the waters and complicate things.

If i can use a fist to punch why use Fook Sau ? whats the added advantage ?

IMO there is none, its just trying to be fancy. You also negate the use of Inch power when using the wrist as a touch point, a better alternative is to use the edge of your plam (pinky edge) or a backfist, At least you see examples in the forms and dummy all the way through chi Sau to sparring.

Anyone who's sparred with some force understands the fact that punches seldom land clean and can hurt your wrist fist, the chances of glancing somone with the fook changing your touch point from the wrist (the strongest part) to an area towards the knuckles (the part with the least support) is too risky.

It may work in an isolated demo, it may even work once in sparring (keeping an open mind) but you will end up hurting yourself and that could result in bad things for you
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    For a Martial art like WC which is supposed to favour simplicity and under complicated actions and/or less is more - type mindset, we certainly do have people that like to muddy the waters and complicate things.

If i can use a fist to punch why use Fook Sau ? whats the added advantage ? . . . . .
    Very good post except you spelled "favor" wrong.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Very good post except you spelled "favor" wrong.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dat is the Ingles spelling! Or Aussie etc..

I had to spell it that way once and was forced to stand up when God Save the king was sung..
    and the king was the one portrayed not so accurately in The King's Speech!!

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dat is the Ingles spelling! Or Aussie etc..........

joy chaudhuri
    Yeah, I know. I practically lived in Ontario for over 3 years.
    I got used to colour, centre, flavour, wxy "zed" . . .
    Oh, I forgot to mention mayonnaise on chips (fries for us Yanks). When I'd ask for Ketchup on my fries they knew I was American.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Yeah, I know. I practically lived in Ontario for over 3 years.
    I got used to colour, centre, flavour, wxy "zed" . . .
    Oh, I forgot to mention mayonnaise on chips (fries for us Yanks). When I'd ask for Ketchup on my fries they knew I was American.
    All those are familiar to me, as an Australian. Except mayonnaise on chips, must be a Canadian thing alone (though, if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me). Interesting to learn of these differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Runlikehell View Post
    All those are familiar to me, as an Australian. Except mayonnaise on chips, must be a Canadian thing alone (though, if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me). Interesting to learn of these differences.
    The Dutch put mayonnaise on their chips/fries/frites. I think the Belgians do too.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    The Dutch put mayonnaise on their chips/fries/frites. I think the Belgians do too.
    I learn something new everyday. Maybe I'll try this myself.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    -----------------------------------------------Ruins both the fry and the mayonnaise... no?

joy

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    -----------------------------------------------Ruins both the fry and the mayonnaise... no?

joy

Dont tell my Belgian GF that Joy..... she'll have your hide

Its all about frites and mayonnaise