Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Siu Lim Tao

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Someone grabs my left arm. I step back with the left leg snatching my arm towards me while simultaneously executing a strike to his hand with my other hand. This is called a Chit Sao. Almost everything in my forms have fighting apps.
    Ok, that's what I used to think when I was involved in the Ip Chun lineage. I've since been shown the error of my ways. No problem.

I also used to have a fighting application for every single action in the forms. When I met Philipp it took me a while for the penny to drop but I will never go back to those ideas as long as I am practicing Ving Tsun.

G

Blog Entries
    I think these are the characters. Hopefully a native speaker can concur, or not.

彈手
    This discussion just remind me an old Taiji argument, "飽虎歸山(Bao Hu Gui Shan) - Well fed tiger return back to mountain" vs. "抱虎歸山(Bao Hu Gui Shan) - Carry tiger back to mountain". Since "飽(Bao) - Well fed" and "抱(Bao) - Carry" share the same pronunciation, people had to argue which one was correct for over 100 years. In the ancient time, most of the TCMA masters may not even be able to write. Most of the teaching was from words out of mouth.

I do believe that:

- The name of technique is not important.
    - There is no standard for every technique.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This discussion just remind me an old Taiji argument, "飽虎歸山(Bao Hu Gui Shan) - Well fed tiger return back to mountain" vs. "抱虎歸山(Bao Hu Gui Shan) - Carry tiger back to mountain". Since "飽(Bao) - Well fed" and "抱(Bao) - Carry" share the same pronunciation, people had to argue which one was correct for over 100 years. In the ancient time, most of the TCMA masters may not even be able to write. Most of the teaching was from words out of mouth.

I do believe that:

- The name of technique is not important.
    - There is no standard for every technique.
    I'm glad you said that. And yes, many Sifus weren't literate back then. Yip Man was one of the exceptions.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Ok, that's what I used to think when I was involved in the Ip Chun lineage. I've since been shown the error of my ways. No problem.

I also used to have a fighting application for every single action in the forms. When I met Philipp it took me a while for the penny to drop but I will never go back to those ideas as long as I am practicing Ving Tsun.

G
    Well I'm glad you're happy with what you're doing. I'm very happy with what I do. I'll also adopt things that work for me from other lineages. If it works I could care less what lineage it comes from.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 05-18-2011 at 04:30 AM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I have used it as a strike as stated by others it's like a Mantis technique. It should probably be used as a quick whipping motion it's devastating against the side of the head and nose. Can lay someone out if used against the neck if you know where to strike. You strike with the wrist not the hand or really the back of the hand you can easily break a bone. It's actually probably safer than striking with your fist as with this you are striking with the area where your forearm attaches to the hand. The hand is bent so your not hitting with the hand just the end of the forearm. Just an example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zaKE_ZQijc
    Last edited by wolf3001; 05-18-2011 at 01:37 AM.

Blog Entries
    The reason that you strike this way is for speed. When you block and catch your opponent's striking hand, and while his body is still moving forward, you want to borrow his momentum and force and create a "head on collusion". You may not have time to change your hooking hand into a fist. So you sacrisfice your power for speed. After all, to hit on the face, 30 lb or 50 lb force may not make that much difference.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-18-2011 at 02:05 AM.

Well I'm glad you're happy with what you're doing. I'm very happy with what I do. I'll also adopt things that work for me from lineages. If it works I could care less what lineage it comes from.
    Its a shame everybody isn't like you on this forum Phil!!! There would be less bickering.

GH

Its a shame everybody isn't like you on this forum Phil!!! There would be less bickering.

GH
    Thanks, The WC bickering is getting old and it doesn't help ones gung fu get better.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

GH
    ??????????????????
    Youve been bagging anything non-pb fo months!

The character for Fuhk/Fook that ALL WC people use means control/subdue. Not hidden. Here's the character 伏手. Please show it to anyone who can read Chinese. If they tell you it means hidden then thank you for teaching me something new.
    Well, at least you have the right character here Phil, because that was not the character used by others here

As for the 'hidden' reference, I know that many various dictionaries have a massive array of variations, and in fact whack that character into Google translate and you will get 'conceal'

http://translate.google.co.uk/?hl=en...E4%BC%8F%0D%0A

Always being open to learning should be mandatory for all Wing Chun teachers imho as I learn new things about myself and my style every single day! One of the many reasons I still love Wing Chun
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    ??????????????????
    Youve been bagging anything non-pb fo months!

Bagging it??? .....in fact I knew it would be you who came back with a dig like that!!!

Rather than have a bickering match with you again...(you're not worth it)......explain to me why people leave certain lineages and go and join others.....if you can. I only bag things if I have experienced them before and been shown that they do not work which is quite common in VT.

Thank you please.

G

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Well, at least you have the right character here Phil, because that was not the character used by others here

As for the 'hidden' reference, I know that many various dictionaries have a massive array of variations, and in fact whack that character into Google translate and you will get 'conceal'

http://translate.google.co.uk/?hl=en...E4%BC%8F%0D%0A

Always being open to learning should be mandatory for all Wing Chun teachers imho as I learn new things about myself and my style every single day! One of the many reasons I still love Wing Chun
    Google translate gave me; Hand V . . . lol.
    I'm not trusting google again for translations.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

To:kowloonboy

Please don't be confused by net chatting --it's not serious. Also not to be confused by all the different "sub styles" and pseudo styles..one day a "true and original" green flag wing chun may emerge
    from the shores of Tripoli! Or from the halls of Montezuma.Or the sands of Iwojima.

Get a good teacher, unless you have one,, and then practice and discover things for yourself.

Joy Chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Please don't be confused by net chatting --it's not serious. Also not to be confused by all the different "sub styles" and pseudo styles..one day a "true and original" green flag wing chun may emerge
    from the shores of Tripoli! Or from the halls of Montezuma.Or the sands of Iwojima.

Get a good teacher, unless you have one,, and then practice and discover things for yourself.

Joy Chaudhuri
    What's to be confused?

A lot of us gave genuinely kind insights and perspectives on the matter. What's pseudo or sub-stylistic in that?
    Last edited by duende; 05-18-2011 at 02:03 PM.

Bagging it??? .....in fact I knew it would be you who came back with a dig like that!!!

Rather than have a bickering match with you again...(you're not worth it)......explain to me why people leave certain lineages and go and join others.....if you can. I only bag things if I have experienced them before and been shown that they do not work which is quite common in VT.

Thank you please.

G
    Geez Graham..... youve hurt my feelings
    And ill try to answer your well thought out question.
    Id suggest people leave lineages and go to others...... because they want to.
    It doesnt have to be a measurement of the school, maybe the person just wanted to go somewhere else.
    Personalities, class size, class mix, location etc etc would all contribute to people moving around.... just like a job
    So are you telling me that no one has ever left PB for another school??
    I'll tip my hat to him if thats true.