I was told this was happening very recently by one of the monks who came through the office the other week. I had figured they weren't going to do anything because of the 4th World Traditional Wushu Championships being held in Shiyan City, Hubei Province, China on October 17-20, 2010. Note the date proximity - Shaolin vs. Wu Tang again? . Also note that the U.S. team for the World Traditionals are being sponsored by the Tiger Claw Foundation.

As for the Shaolin Festival, it got combined with the World Traditionals for the first one back in 2004. That's when I did my documentary on it - see Shaolin Trips: The First World Traditional Wushu Festival. They held the second one in 2006 - here's the thread: 2nd World Traditional Wushu Festival. In 2008, they moved it to Wudang, see 3rd World Traditional Wushu Championship.

Myanmar to take part in int'l Wushu festival in China
English.news.cn 2010-10-06 16:56:28

YANGON, Oct. 6 (Xinhua) -- Myanmar will take part in the forthcoming 8th China International Shaolin Wushu Festival in Zhengzhou, said U Tun Tun Oo, the general secretary of Myanmar Wushu Federation on Wednesday.

About 2,000 wushu practitioners are expected to take part in the Oct.22-28 festival, according to U Tun Tun Oo.

Myanmar's representatives will contest in Taolu and Sanshou categories with three male and female players aged under 18.

Myanmar, which will host the 27th SEA Games in 2013, hopes to use the Shaolin Festival to prepare for the SEA Games.

In the 22nd SEA Game in Vietnam in 2003, Myanmar grabbed five gold medals.

Myanmar Wushu federation had sent 12 players to the Beijing Sports Institute to train.