Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kung Fu styles are universal

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrat View Post
    I would recommend studying other non chinese martial arts systems as well. The perspective you would gain in doing so can only enhance your understanding of your chosen art. You may even come to the conclusion that all styles, Chinese or otherwise, are universal.
    That's what my sifu told me. I am considering taking Japanese jujutsu or Muay thai after i complete my system.

Quote Originally Posted by ManilaCrane View Post
    I've been training quite sometime with my sifu in white crane style, and he's also quite a philosopher. He tells me that if u at all the styles in Kung Fu, they are all universal. What do you guys think?
    I think that it just means that kung fu teaches a skill set that best translates into other arts. Kung fu is a broader art than others.

It's also good to bear in mind, that in order to really understand that is to become that.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Manila Crane,

Thank you for the explanation. I agree with your teacher.

Ron Goninan
    China Fuzhou Zhenlan Crane Boxing Australia
    White Crane Research Institute Inc
    http://www.whitecranegongfu.info
    A seeker of the way

The white crane boxing that i practice is Toisan White Crane. Its similar to Tibetan style, except the style uses both short and long range fist. Plus the style is deceptive and aggressive at the same time. The style was brought to the US by Sigong Rhu Zhu.
    Do you have any info on the history and lineage of this Toisan White Crane?
    If you don't, possible to ask your Sifu?

Many Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gru Bianca View Post
    Do you have any info on the history and lineage of this Toisan White Crane?
    If you don't, possible to ask your Sifu?

Many Thanks
    Lineages can be trace back here on the website.

http://www.whitecrane.ws/about-white...u/lineage.html

Sigong Rhu Zhu was the one who brought the style to the US. But now its only being teached in AZ by two teachers he certified.

Lineages can be trace back here on the website.

http://www.whitecrane.ws/about-white...u/lineage.html

Sigong Rhu Zhu was the one who brought the style to the US. But now its only being teached in AZ by two teachers he certified.
    Thank you very much for the link however not much info on the "history" of this style of crane. Is there any way you could ask your Sifu for the oral tradition of this particular style of crane?
    I find it interesting that it seems to have some similarities with the "Tibetan" Crane, however it mentions as main forms the five major styles of Fukian White Crane (Leaping Crane, Flying Crane, Calling Crane, Resting Crane and Feeding Crane) which would lead to think it is originated from the Fukian Crane.

Any more info would be really highly apreciated.

Thank you

ill ask my sifu then about the history of our style then .

Yes, I'd be interested in this as well. Thank you.

Ron Goninan
    China Fuzhou Zhenlan Crane Boxing Australia
    White Crane Research Institute Inc
    http://www.whitecranegongfu.info
    A seeker of the way

I think it' interesting to see how attitudes change over time. In the past, it was more common to adopt a competitive approach - focusing on the differences between martial styles, or religions for that matter. Nowadays, more 'enlightened' people like to look at the universal aspects of these things. But in their extremes, both approaches tend towards shakiness. If it is one's nature or current tendency to focus excessively on difference, then one might benefit from adopting a more universalist viewpoint. But then the opposite would be true as well. Doesn't yin/yang suggest something like this?

Kung fu is universal. Kung fu is particular. And my kung fu is best!

Thank you very much for the link however not much info on the "history" of this style of crane. Is there any way you could ask your Sifu for the oral tradition of this particular style of crane?
    I find it interesting that it seems to have some similarities with the "Tibetan" Crane, however it mentions as main forms the five major styles of Fukian White Crane (Leaping Crane, Flying Crane, Calling Crane, Resting Crane and Feeding Crane) which would lead to think it is originated from the Fukian Crane.

Any more info would be really highly apreciated.

Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Minghequan View Post
    Yes, I'd be interested in this as well. Thank you.

Well guys i got the history from my Sifu. Not much of a history, but this is what he said dat his Sigong told him:

"Our style is a combination of Tibetan long range mixed with Choy Lay Fut
    short range technique. Those form names are generic for all White Crane
    systems of which there are only two, Northern Tibetan and Southern Fujian.
    Sigung "Yuen Dak Wen" was a Choy Lay Fut teacher so he took the best of what
    that system offered and integrated into the Tibetan White Crane he received
    from Chen Tin Leung. They also integrated many internal concepts from Bagua,
    Xing Yi and Tai Chi and the three main animals; Crane, Dragon and Snake.

Obviously our main forms look nothing like the Tibetan or Fujian
    equivalents. "

Hope this satisfies the history

Quote Originally Posted by monkey mind View Post
    I think it' interesting to see how attitudes change over time. In the past, it was more common to adopt a competitive approach - focusing on the differences between martial styles, or religions for that matter. Nowadays, more 'enlightened' people like to look at the universal aspects of these things. But in their extremes, both approaches tend towards shakiness. If it is one's nature or current tendency to focus excessively on difference, then one might benefit from adopting a more universalist viewpoint. But then the opposite would be true as well. Doesn't yin/yang suggest something like this?

Kung fu is universal. Kung fu is particular. And my kung fu is best!
    Well one thing we can all agree, since all Styles are universal, we can safely say that its not the better style, its who's the better fighter . So when one says their style is the best, it means in my interpretation that they practiced and train in their art for quite a long time .

On the other hand, another thing that my Sifu mentions is that when one practices the style, its not gonna be perfect like their previous mentors, so they have to mix their style with yours to make something new, while still having the core principals of the style ur practicing in.

Well guys i got the history from my Sifu. Not much of a history, but this is what he said dat his Sigong told him:

"Our style is a combination of Tibetan long range mixed with Choy Lay Fut
    short range technique. Those form names are generic for all White Crane
    systems of which there are only two, Northern Tibetan and Southern Fujian.
    Sigung "Yuen Dak Wen" was a Choy Lay Fut teacher so he took the best of what
    that system offered and integrated into the Tibetan White Crane he received
    from Chen Tin Leung. They also integrated many internal concepts from Bagua,
    Xing Yi and Tai Chi and the three main animals; Crane, Dragon and Snake.

Obviously our main forms look nothing like the Tibetan or Fujian
    equivalents. "

Hope this satisfies the history

Thank you very much for the info.

Regards,

Thank you very much for the info.

Regards,
    Your welcome. And Thank you for asking