Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Food & Beer Thread*

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Tap View Post
    It's a lot better if you put half Irish Cream and half Irish whiskey in the shot glass. Gives it a bit more kick.
    or just drink the Irish like it was meant to be...

i'm a pretty solid Bushmill's fan and so rarely try anything else but had some Michael Collins this past summer at my brother's wedding and it was very good.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    or just drink the Irish like it was meant to be...

i'm a pretty solid Bushmill's fan and so rarely try anything else but had some Michael Collins this past summer at my brother's wedding and it was very good.
    Yeah, I'm pretty partial to Irish whiskeys on their own too. Bushmill's is good, haven't tried Michael Collins. I generally keep a bottle of Jameson around since that was the first thing I really ever drank. A couple of months ago I got to try a glass of Knappogue Castle (single-malt Irish whiskey), though, and that utterly blew everything away, even the various single-malt scotches I've had.

I'm mostly drinking beer (and making it) and sake these days, though.

a great idea

http://greatbrewers.com/
    Although it's only active for a few states in the Northeast, I think it's a cool website.
    Of course, any true beer connoisseur will have all the watering holes in his area thoroughly staked out, but I could see this being useful when travelling, living in a big city, or moving to a new city.

You enter your zipcode and it links you up with the local distributors, and then you can enter a particular beer in, and it will show you bars/restaurants or shops/retailers where you can carry-away the particular brand, complete with MapQuest-style driving directions.

Of course, not really of any use to the domestic drinkers, but if you enjoy a quality beer, then it's a genius idea. Hopefully they can branch out and get more of the country covered someday...

I wonder if anyone likes their beer enough to ever use something like this?
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

BeerAdvocate & Dogfish Head to Brew Collaborative Extreme Beer

Beer to Be Named by BeerAdvocate.com Members and Served at the 2009 Extreme Beer Fest in Boston ...

http://beeradvocate.com/news/1667941

Up to the challenge? Name the beer! Click the link for the 411.

Respect Beer.

Jason & Todd (Alström Bros)
    Founders, http://beeradvocate.com
    where's my beer?

RT: yea, the only other acceptable form of Irish Whiskey injection is in a 'God's Blessing'

I'll send anyone a random high gravity beer that gets that reference

times is tough...i'm relegated to buying single's at my fav beer store just to sample a few new brews

drank these two lovelies last night:

Backwoods *******

yep, even if it wasn't a Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy I would have drank it simply because of the name. As it stands, this beer might just eclipse Tasgall as my #1

Old Cuermudgeon

yes, agin, the name was the draw...I just noticed that both of the links above are of older label styles AND older brews...the new release has different, cooler labels and higher ABV: 10.2 for BB and 9.8 for OC... I had a 12oz. bottle of each last night and that was IT for me...yes, I know, not up to the old 'Oso Standard' but I'm cutting back some.

tonight or tomorrow's bottle is:

Green Flash Brewing Barleywine Style Ale (Vintage)
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

i've had a **** load of new beers recently ... i need to start keeping track again.

one i want to mention in particualr . ... sam adams chocholate bock . .. really really beautiful packaging and bottle ... made it seem like it was well worth 13 bucks for a 22oz. complete disapointment.

i mean ... i dont want to call it a terrible beer . . . id pay 8 bucks for a 6 pack of it maybe once in a while. but never again would i pay that much for a 22. in fact, if i were at a buddies house and i had my choice between the chocolate bock and sam adams black lager ... id pick the lager.
    where's my beer?

you can go way wrong w/ chocolate in beer...Young's Double Chocolate Stout, reviewed above I think, is about as good as it gets.

btw, the barleywine i tried was good. a bit bitter for me but not too bitter that I didn't enjoy it.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    ok, so I picked up a Glenfiddich 12 yr old.
    Nice, smooth. I don't have the Glenlivet to do a side by side, but I think I like the smoothness of the Glenlivet better. This is still no doubt better ,richer, and smoother than Chivas and JWB.
    A Fonseca Triangular is going very nice with this. Smooth, full bodied, but not harsh, or overly spicy.Rich flavour. They compliment each other.

I'm going to be useless in my grappling class tomorrow. I'll be sweating cigars and alcohol. I pity the fool who has to roll with me.

(sniff) I miss my Sifu-we used to hang out by the fireplace and drink port and smoke cubanos late at night.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 12-13-2008 at 07:32 PM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

2 things:

1) I had a glass of portofino from 1834 the other night at a local "high-end" restaurant - my wife's practice was celebrating her one-year anniversary with them - although the entire dinner was paid for by the good folks from Boniva who easily dropped at least $1K on the meal (12 peeps, easy $75 each at least) - being a doc hubby has it's occasional benefits, I guess; anyway, it was $45 for a 3 oz. glass; ruby/amber color; it had a very lemon / citrus nose, very crisp and clear taste, pretty smooth finish; obviousl I'd never pay for that on my own, but on the drug rep's nickel, i g=figured what the heck! and I just think it was cool drinking something from around the time Napolean was alive...

2) great article on Dogfish Head Brewery in last week's New Yorker; anyone ever try any of their stuff? they describe some mead / ale like brew they make based on like some ancient Sumarian recipe or something...

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    if you're still up, call me-I haven't finished the bottle yet!
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    2 things:

2) great article on Dogfish Head Brewery in last week's New Yorker; anyone ever try any of their stuff? they describe some mead / ale like brew they make based on like some ancient Sumarian recipe or something...
    my reviews above . .. dogfish head's palo santo maroon is still in my top 5 favorite beers. lion stout is still number one though.
    where's my beer?

. . .. also **** sam adams. i am really dissapointed in them as a brand anymore.
    where's my beer?

Dogfish Head is my 2nd fav brewery behind our local Highland Brewing.

Dogfish puts out some good stuff...you're talking about there Midas Touch brew

GDA, what else didn't you like about SA? I think they are very consistent with all thier brews...the Boston Ale is always a good fallback beer and the Honey Porter is very good as is their Scotch Ale.

It's not beer but........

http://www.drinkjoose.com/main.html

Listen to the whole rap.

It's so bad it's.. well I wouldn't have bought it had I seen this web site first!

I only bought it because of the "Dragon Joose" flavor.
    Insert pun here.

And remember, "With great Joose comes great responsibility"

I can't describe the hangover.

Joooossssssse.
    Mr. T invented fools, then feeling bad about it, invented pity

http://www.cansfordan.com

http://www.fightfordan.com

sugar = hangover

the more sugar in what you drink the worse the hangover...don't ask me why.