Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Food & Beer Thread*

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    all three of my brews were good but the Monkey Wrench was the best. It had a nice flavor to it...I hate to use this here for obvious reasons...but it had an almost nutty flavor to it. The others were good examples of their style but not outstanding.

we kept it simple as well...it was BYOx so there was a mix of food and beer.

I had brats but there were hamburgers and salmon on the grille as well.

I did mix up some of my 'Cheater's Salsa' it fools people into thinking you made fresh salsa:

1 jar of Pace Medium
    1 purple onion
    1 bunch, cilantro
    1 T minced garlic in the jar

throw it all in the food processor and serve w/ chips.
    I like the 'Hint of Lime' chips
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    ok, but, still, i'd use something better than that to test a tolerance level.

Becca: yea, i use MS...if it was the spam blocker doesn't it send it to a separate folder?

besides, they aren't even showing up on my email server, i checked.

Young's is good. You're welcome.
    Oddly, no. It flat out won't let somethings through. It labels things as a phishing scam for good reason and they don't even make it to your Junk mail folder.

Here's how you fix it:
    go to options while logging into your e-mail. under junk mail it should have at least 2 options. "Filters and Reporting" - I recomend setting the security level to medium and see what happens; you can lower it to low security if you need to later. "Safe and Blocked Senders" is the other one you'll need to adjust. You can pick your way through all the blocked sendors to find spacific ones that you still want to let through or you can erase the whole list and start from scratch. I would recomend you spacifically add those addresses you want to receive.

Mas Judt: sure, but it will have to later, I'm at work and don't have it on me.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

hmmm, i may not have that junk mail option...i'm running Office 2000...a bit dated, I know...i've had a couple of error reports come back from MS saying I need to upgrade because they are not supporting 2000 anymore....still looking, thanks!
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

hey oso . . . . my buddy was kind enough to give me another dogfish head 120 min ipa. im trying to save it for as long as i can, but im not sure its going to make it the weekend.
    where's my beer?

mayn, i jes' can' drink that bitta beer. but you have fun, those that can tell me it's really good.

my quest for tomorrow is to secure a six pack of Schenk's Cream Ale. A brew by Highland but by a local who won a homebrew contest they put on. It will only be available in AVL. Just released yesterday...i missed the tasting due to work

I'll ship anyone a single for $20.

Here's an interesting article on Beer:

Drink the Beer, Lose the Gut
    Find out the most satisfying beers for under 140 calories.
    Edited by Matt Bean, Men's Health

Most light beers save only about 20 to 50 calories per bottle—and some even outweigh regular beers. It's mostly marketing, says Garrett Oliver, Brooklyn Brewery brewmaster and author of The Brewmaster's Table (Ecco, 2003). Want maximum taste, minimum guilt? Consult our guide to the best beers under 140 calories.

Ratings (out of ***)

Guinness Draught Bottle (4.2 percent alcohol)

Calories: 125 **

Carbohydrates: 9.9 grams (g) **

Foods it goes best with: Creamy, mild taste plays well with shellfish and soups.

Taste test: "Smoky flavor with hints of coffee. Breakfast, anyone?" ***

Yuengling Premium (4.4 percent alcohol)

Calories: 135 *

Carbohydrates: 12 g *

Foods it goes best with: Hoppy, sweet notes blend best with barbecue or pan-Asian foods.

Taste test: "A little bitter and a little sweet, like my relationship with my ex." **

Sol Cerveza Especial (4 percent alcohol)

Calories: 127 **

Carbohydrates: 10 g **

Foods it goes best with: Its light body and fizzy texture are the perfect foil for spicy fare, like jalapeño-heaped nachos.

Taste test: "Tastes like a Mexican Budweiser. Can someone snag some nachos and a lime?" *

Victory Lager (4.8 percent alcohol)

Calories: 138 *

Carbohydrates: 11 g *

Foods it goes best with: This crisp lager cleanses the palate after a burger.

Taste test: "A little hops-heavy at first, but the taste grows on you." ***

Winner

New Belgium Skinny Dip (4.2 percent alcohol)

Calories: 110 ***

Carbohydrates: 7 g ***

Foods it goes best with: This bright, light beer pairs nicely with chicken and fruit.

Taste test: "A good beer for kicking back after a long day of hard work." ***

you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

i haven't drank since halloween.

i am one sad atrocity.
    where's my beer?

I have a couple glasses worth of Jamesons Irish Whisky at home. That is all the boozle I have left though.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

My one drink in the last month or more was trying something called an Irish Car Bomb. Think boiler maker but with Irish cream and Guinnis. I can honestly say the name is much more impressive than the drink.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    ok so I just made my first foray into single malts. I bought a bottle of Glenlivet.
    I liked it. Really smooth, soft almost. I had to check the proof as it didn't feel like 80 proof, yet it was. Now, that's smooth!
    I didn't do a side by side comparrison to say, a Chivas or a JWB, so I have no real guage.
    What are your experiences and recommendations?
    I think I just found another expensive indulgence.
    As far as port goes-I really enjoy Pindar, and Warrior . I just bought a 10 year tawny port from Sandeman-I will let you know this weekend.
    Cigars? Artouro Fuente and Fonseca, although when I went to HK, I bought some cuban Romeos that I enjoyed.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    My one drink in the last month or more was trying something called an Irish Car Bomb. Think boiler maker but with Irish cream and Guinnis. I can honestly say the name is much more impressive than the drink.
    It's a lot better if you put half Irish Cream and half Irish whiskey in the shot glass. Gives it a bit more kick.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    ok so I just made my first foray into single malts. I bought a bottle of Glenlivet.
    I liked it. Really smooth, soft almost. I had to check the proof as it didn't feel like 80 proof, yet it was. Now, that's smooth!
    I didn't do a side by side comparrison to say, a Chivas or a JWB, so I have no real guage.
    What are your experiences and recommendations?
    There are no substitutes!
    (this includes "Glenfarclas Glenlivet")
    (OTOH, if you go looking for your new-found favorite in most bars.... fugeddabowdit!)
    (being "used to" JWB is handy in such situations)

Man TT you've barely scratched the surface my man. There are a ton of cool
    distilleries in Scotlaand that make THE finest single malts in the world.
    Glenlivet is nice. Very smooth and lightly smokey. Glenfiddich a little more
    robust. Judging by the inventory around here one would think there is only
    Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Speyburn and Glenfarclas. But there are prolly 50
    distilleries whose name begins with 'Glen'.
    While i do enjoy Johnny Walker Blue (expensive as Spitzers side trim), it, like
    Chivas, Cutty, and others are blended whiskeys and bourbon. Jamesons
    is Irish whiskey which is a little different.
    My wife is Scottish from Scotland and if you know anything about Scots and
    their single malt... Breakfast of champions.
    Her uncle visited from recently from Dunoon and brought a bottle of Edradour
    and another he wanted me to try though i cannot remember the name but it
    had Glen in the name and he said it was a little pricey. I actually liked the
    10 yr Edradour better than the 15yr Glen-something. I couldn't stop thinking
    English Leather when i sipped the pricier one. I dunno. But yeah i've been
    delving into the single malt world for a little bit. I have half a bottle of 20yr
    Speyburn and a corner of the Edradour. And wifey bought me a bottle of
    Glenlivet for my 40th which just passed a few days ago. All that will last me
    till next year. I'm not a big drinker though my post may seem to indicate
    otherwise. Just a couple sips to thin the blood up once in a while.
    no matter how many times the ball bounces, there's still no bones in ice cream...

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    in my local liquor store, they have a row of single malts. I suppose I will start with the Glens, perhaps next week pick up a Glenfiddich. I first tried single malt about ten years ago, when a friend had two bottles and gave us a taste. I don't recall what the brand was, but it was smooth with a smokey taste. The Glenlivett was not as smokey as I recall this one being. I like that in a scotch, that smooth velvety taste as it just rolls around on your palate.
    But, they are pricey. Sometimes, ya just gotta give yourself a nice reward for being good.
    I also don't seem to get in as much trouble with them as I do with the absinthes.
    (I hate waking up the next day and reading in the headlines how my night went)

hmmm, I just won an ebay bid on a Marshall 1960B cabinet.
    The scotch will have to wait till next week!
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Recommendations

Hey TenTigers,

I would recommend anything from Highland Park. They're all smokie and smooth - you just can't go wrong. The Balvenie DoubleWood is also a great choice. If you're looking for something that's a bit spicey, I recommend a Talikser (it's been called "volcanic"). Aberlour also makes great single malts, and are of exceptional value!

Enjoy!