Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrities studying martial arts?

Hybrid View

Danielle Vasinova

Danielle Vasinova

Danielle Vasinova is a high-spirited actress of Czech, & Cherokee decent known for her colorful action-adventure roles. She was inspired to follow in the footsteps of her grandmother, who was an actress and singer in Prague. She began her modeling career at the age of 14 when a talent scout approached her at a local mall when she was performing in a cheerleading competition for the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA). She was quickly signed to an agency in New York where she modeled for the next 5 years before beginning her acting career. She is now starring in the action/thriller Red Dead, from the makers of the popular sci-fi television series Z Nation. In this Grimm's Fairy Tale meets The Undead story, she plays Denise Knox, the Sheriff's wife. She also stars in the animated action-adventure Shinjuku, from the director of Aeon Flux - playing an international bounty hunter on a mission to rescue her brother, and she's the mysterious Detective Stone in director Joss Gomez's upcoming science fiction/adventure film Among Us Because of her comfort with action roles, Vasinova is also intimately involved as the title star of the video game Belle's War, based on the popular comic book 13 Chambers from Image Comics. Referring to her character as the "wonder woman of the west," the game chronicles Belle's search for the thirteen magical pistols that once belonged to a secret group of U.S. marshals commanded by the late President Abraham Lincoln. It is also currently in development as both a television series and a motion picture. She previously starred in the indie thriller To Hell With A Bullet, written and directed by Vick Wright. She has also appeared in the features Born To Be A Star, from Columbia Pictures, starring Nick Swardson and Christina Ricci, and Should've Been Romeo directed by Marc Bennett, starring Paul Ben-Victor, Ed Asner and Carol Kane. Her other credits include guest- starring roles on numerous series including the critically-acclaimed show Dexter followed by Rules of Engagement, The Philanthropist, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Nip Tuck, That 70's Show, Friends, The Practice, Hostage Do or Die for The Discovery Channel, and The Young And The Restless. She also appeared in the F/X telefilm Alabama, and starred in the award-winning short White Trash Noir at The Action Film Festival. Vasinova holds a Bachelors Degree in Communication Sciences from the University of Connecticut, and later studied drama with Robert Carnegie of Playhouse West, Margie Haber and Ivana Chubbuck . When she isn't in front of the camera, Vasinova is an avid equestrian - specializing in hunter/jumper, dressage, and western. She also studies the martial arts form Wushu, loves to drum, and is well trained in swordplay, gun work, and motorcycle riding.
    Can't say I recognize her, but I'm a fan of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

BTW, y'all caught my last RZA interview, right?
    I really enjoyed this interview. Good job Gene.

Thanks SC36DC

I can't believe I've let this thread go this far without showcasing the celebs that we've featured. I must be slipping. I'm going to go in chronological order, more or less. This is just off the top of my head so forgive me if I miss someone.

RZA
    1999 September cover: Hip Hop Fist: Wu-Tang Clan's RZA and his Sifu, Shaolin Monk Shi Yan Ming
    See also:
    Wu-Tang Enters Wudang
    RZA on Iron Fist, the Last Dragon and Barack Obama
    RZA Reflects on Wu-Tang at Wudang Mountain (2009 March/April)
    RZA on Breath Control, Martial Arts and Being a Student

Anthony Michael Hall
    A Touch of Hope . . . Anthony Michael Hall's New Journey (2000 September)

Lou Reed
    2003 May/June cover: A Walk on the Wild Side of Tai Chi
    The Taiji Raven Speaks
    2007 September/October cover: Innovating Traditional Martial Arts: Ren Guangyi's 5 Step Roadmap

Jonathon Miller
    2006 March/April cover: Taiji Principles for Business and Life: A Martial Arts Profile of Jonathon Miller - CEO, AOL
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I can't believe I've let this thread go this far without showcasing the celebs that we've featured. I must be slipping. I'm going to go in chronological order, more or less. This is just off the top of my head so forgive me if I miss someone.

RZA
    1999 September cover: Hip Hop Fist: Wu-Tang Clan's RZA and his Sifu, Shaolin Monk Shi Yan Ming
    See also:
    Wu-Tang Enters Wudang
    RZA on Iron Fist, the Last Dragon and Barack Obama
    RZA Reflects on Wu-Tang at Wudang Mountain (2009 March/April)
    RZA on Breath Control, Martial Arts and Being a Student

Anthony Michael Hall
    A Touch of Hope . . . Anthony Michael Hall's New Journey (2000 September)

Lou Reed
    2003 May/June cover: A Walk on the Wild Side of Tai Chi
    The Taiji Raven Speaks
    2007 September/October cover: Innovating Traditional Martial Arts: Ren Guangyi's 5 Step Roadmap

Jonathon Miller
    2006 March/April cover: Taiji Principles for Business and Life: A Martial Arts Profile of Jonathon Miller - CEO, AOL
    Gene, Thank you for taking the time to put this together. Upon reading one of the RZA articles, I saw the mention of the Shaolin Temple Special Collector's Edition in Spring 2000, I went ahead and looked it up and it stated that it is Sold Out, Out of Stock. I am sorry I missed this issue, is there any information regarding if this will ever be available again, and if so, when. I would love to order this one.

Thanks Gene.

stupid article...

...so stupid I can't resist posting it. Jet Li? Oh really? Jackie Chan? No fooling? Chuck Norris? For real?

I'm surprised she didn't mention Bruce Lee....

Famous people who study martial arts
    April 18, 2:54 PM

Did you know that President Obama trained in Tae Kwon Do, a traditional Korean martial art?

Some other famous martial artists are:
    Criss Angel, a magician with a hit television show, trained in Karate, Tae Kwon Do and Kung Fu.
    Actor James Cagney was a black belt in Judo.
    Singer Elvis Presley studied Kempo.
    Former Soviet Union President Vladimir Putin is a black belt in Judo.
    Actor Robert Downey, Jr. trains in Kung Fu.
    Action adventure star Steven Seagal is a black belt in Aikido and the first westerner allowed to open a school in Japan.
    Actor Jet Li has studied Wushu and Fan Zi Quan.
    Jackie Chan, comedic and action adventure actor, is a very talented product of the Beijing Opera--who train students in martial artistry and weapons.
    Tang Soo Do is what Chuck Norris is most known for. He has taught it to Steve McQueen, Priscilla Presley and Donny Osmond.
    Actress Sarah Michelle Gellar is a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and spent some time studying kickboxing.
    Ed O'Neill, from “Married with Children”, has a black belt in Brazilian Jujutsu.
    And, to bring it full circle with U. S. Presidents, Did you know that President Theodore Roosevelt studied Judo and Jujutsu?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Barack Obama

Again. Well, sort of...

Michael Gene Sullivan
    Writer, actor, director, rouser of what the frightened overlords call the rabble
    Posted: December 13, 2010 12:59 AM
    Kung Fu, and the Presidency of Barack Obama

"In combat, spontaneity rules; rote performance of technique perishes." -- Bruce Lee

Back when President Obama was Candidate Obama one of his most commented on talents was his style of dealing with seemingly impossible political situations. Turning negatives into positives, political traps into triumphs, pundits called it mojo, Birthers called it Voodoo. Many called it brilliant. But a few called it what it was -- Kung Fu.

Kung Fu is all about deflection, about using your opponents momentum against them, turning that defense seamlessly into attack. It's coaxing your opponent into attacking, slipping to the side, tripping them as they pass, and giving them a quick smack on the head for good measure. But most importantly to master Kung Fu you must be unpredictable.

"A martial artist who drills exclusively to a set pattern of combat is losing his freedom. He is actually becoming a slave to a choice..." -- Bruce Lee

Attack:

"A guy named Hussein is running for President!"

Typical politician reaction:

Verbal attacks on muslims, and a promise to bomb something.

Kung Fu:

"That I have a chance to run for the highest office in this nation proves how great a country this is! And that so many people of different backgrounds support me shows how far we have all come in our understanding of what it means to be an American..."

"When my opponent expands, I contract. When he contracts, I expand."-- Bruce Lee

Attack: "He got a racist preacher!"

Typical politician reaction:

Throw preacher under the bus, deny existence of racism in America.

Kung Fu:

"I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother."

and:

"Just as black anger often proved counterproductive, so have these white resentments distracted attention from the real culprits of the middle class squeeze - a corporate culture rife with inside dealing, questionable accounting practices, and short-term greed; a Washington dominated by lobbyists and special interests; economic policies that favor the few over the many."

"The highest technique is to have no technique. My technique is a result of your technique; my movement is a result of your movement." -- Bruce Lee

Obama's Kung Fu was strong. While his opponents kept attacking the same old way, relying on him to respond the same old way, he deflected their attacks, used their weight and momentum against them, and before they knew it they were on their backs, gasping and confused.

Attack:

"Pull the troops out of Iraq? He wants to surrender to the terrorists!"

Fu:

"Our mission in Iraq is over, and we must not shed any more of our children's, father's or mother's precious blood there. We must focus on where those who actually attacked us still are."

This was the Kung Fu Master people voted for, and we were crowding the arena to see him kick conservative butt just like Bruce Lee did to that dude with the face scar in Enter the Dragon! Sensei Obama was going to flip, clip, dip, dazzle and finally change Washington into a place where the People, not the evil business lobbyists, control the Nunchucks of Power!

"Be like water..."-- Bruce Lee

But when this Dragon finally did Enter Washington, there was something suddenly not so martial about his art. Suddenly he seemed as yielding as water. "Water can yield, it can also crash!" said Bruce Lee. Great! But where was the crash? Once in office Obama seemed to be the one doing all the contracting, while his opponents were expanding like toads! To please critics he fired supporters and took advisors who disagreed with his stated opinions. He adopted policies he'd attacked months earlier. Bankers got bonuses, homeowners got shafted, Wall Street got bailed out, Main Street got left out, nobody got a Public Option, and Guantanamo... well, it's still open for business.

Some said he was unprepared for the office, others that he was bidding his time (waiting for the right moment to unleash his awesomeness) Others said he had to make decisions based on new political realities. Some simply said he lost his mojo. But I think it was much worse, much more fundamental. I think he lost his dojo.

"One should not respond to circumstance with artificial and "wooden" prearrangement. Your action should be like the immediacy of a shadow adapting to its moving object." -- Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee always said that if your Kung Fu becomes predictable, you will lose -- and Obama's Kung Fu became exactly that. Despite his willingness to deal with difficult problems, he had a weakness which allowed his opponents to dictate his reaction, make him predictable, and ultimately defeatable. And the weakness is that Barack Obama desperately needs to be seen as fair, above the political fray, as not using his power to stifle or oppress his opponents. Once those opponents realized that an accusation of partisanship would incite a predictable shift on the President's part toward bipartisanship, that they could easily maneuver into a position where compromise became his goal rather than winning, they had him.

And that was that. His Kung Fu was negated, because he was easily coaxed into a predictable response. Simply accuse Obama of being too partisan, of not being willing to work with you, and he will sacrifice his strategic advantage and cut himself off from his allies to prove he is willing to compromise. Now, compromise is an important option in every fight - you might be evenly matched and have to reach an understanding. But Obama became defeatable when the mere accusation of his not being willing to compromise meant he would have a predictable, automatic response. All it takes is a loud "You're trying to pass this over the will of the Minority" as we heard in the recent extension of the Bush Tax cuts for the wealthy, and before the fight begins White House compromise becomes the deal of the day. Obama's Kung Fu was beaten.

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them."
    -- Bruce Lee

At the end of Enter the Dragon Bruce Lee is fighting against that freaky guy with the swapable metal weapon hands in a hall of mirrors, the two of them hunting each other through the narrow passages, with Lee punching at reflections. Obama is also caught in a hall of mirrors, with his enemy coming at him from all directions. But when Obama looks in the mirrors he sees himself in a fighting stance, rejects that image of himself, and lowers his fists. And each time he does he gets punched or kicked again. In a trap created by his enemy he has decided that the most important thing to do is not reflect the posture of someone willing to fight. Ultimately Bruce Lee defeats his enemy by making the unpredictable choice -- he smashes the mirrors, reveals the true location of Kung Fu Cap'n Hook, and kicks him into a conveniently placed spear. And if Barack Obama is going to regain his Kung Fu mastery he must first recognize that his technique is being used to manipulate him, then smash the mirrors that are confusing him so he can concentrate on his actual opponents. He cannot wait for some perfect circumstance where his own fighting can't be used against him. He must fight to win. Is that possible? I don't know, but I do know we cannot wait any longer.

"To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities."
    -- Bruce Lee
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

wtf?

gotta pick up the new issue of vogue...
    Kicking it - click for slideshow.
    Gisele Bundchen gets her kicks in jeans
    By Inside Track
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - Updated 35m ago

Tom Brady [stats] better not ever get out of line, because the missus, Gisele Bundchen, is showing off some crazy kung fu fighting moves in the new issue of Vogue maggie!

Gi, a student at the Boston Kung Fu Tai Chi Institute, channels Bruce Lee for a piece called “Kicking It,” which has nothing to do with martial arts at all. It’s about what supermodels Gisele, Naomi Campbell and Karen Elson wear when they’re not working.

Surprise, surprise, Gi’s all about the jeans.

“I am the queen of jeans,” the Brazilian bombshell tells Vogue.

She also loves cashmere sweaters in neutral colors, and when she went shopping for new outfits with the writer, the first thing she bought was a baby tennis sweater (cashmere, natch) for her stepson, Jack .

Awwww, what a model stepmom!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The belle to bete

Jason trains MMA! Friday the 13th Jason.

Derek Mears: Beyond The Mask
    Posted on 01 May 2009
    long interview: here's the excerpt:
    What do you do to keep in top physical shape?

I do different weight training regimens. I do some stuff called CrossFit, which is all functional body training. It’s a website called Crossfit.com, where they give you a workout for each day. It is just fantastic. I train MMA as a hobbyist at John McCarthy’s ultimate fighting school, which is so much fun to do. They also offer a CrossFit there too. So I bounce between that and of course doing different weights in the gym and stuff for the aesthetic body look.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jason trains MMA! Friday the 13th Jason.

Derek Mears: Beyond The Mask
    Posted on 01 May 2009
    long interview: here's the excerpt:
    Quote:
    What do you do to keep in top physical shape?

I do different weight training regimens. I do some stuff called CrossFit, which is all functional body training. It’s a website called Crossfit.com, where they give you a workout for each day. It is just fantastic. I train MMA as a hobbyist at John McCarthy’s ultimate fighting school, which is so much fun to do. They also offer a CrossFit there too. So I bounce between that and of course doing different weights in the gym and stuff for the aesthetic body look.
    LOL.... You see that, Oso? Next time you're doing your Crossfit class, you better make sure the guy behind you doesn't have a chainsaw in his gym bag.

The moment they ask us to choose between two different paths, the implicit message is that we can only follow one. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

gotta pick up the new issue of vogue...
    Kicking it - click for slideshow.
    WTF indeed, Gene! I clicked for the slideshow, but only got a slideshow of girlie stuff, not punches, chops or even ham-hocks. I admit, I fell for it

There was that single shot on the front page, though. You know, I'm starting to wonder if lifting your heel off the ground when kicking is actually the right way to do it... 'least that's what I'd think if my only exposure to MA was from pop media (excluding KFMag excepted!

herb ox

i think don cheadle studies kung fu, i remember that little exchange between him and jackie in rush hour two, that **** looked tight i also remember him doing something in meteor man...but that was a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    i think don cheadle studies kung fu, i remember that little exchange between him and jackie in rush hour two, that **** looked tight i also remember him doing something in meteor man...but that was a long time ago.
    I remember this and was wondering if anyone has more information of Don's studies. I mean his kung fu and his Canto looked tight. Too bad it doesn't mention anything on his wiki page...

did you know Al Bundy is a BJJ blackbelt? vid

"If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

David Lee Roth when he was with Van Halen...
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Angelina Jolie revisited

Angelina bears repeating.

Angelina Jolie flaunts sexy legs at L.A. premiere of Salt (photos)
    July 19, 11:26 PMCelebrity Fitness and Health ExaminerSamantha Chang
    July 19, 2010. (Getty Photos/John Shearer)

Angelina Jolie showed off her toned legs in a sleeveless beaded black Emporio Armani dress at the premiere of Salt in Los Angeles July 19, 2010.

Jolie, 35, was accompanied by a beardless Brad Pitt, 46, who looked dashing in a charcoal Tom Ford suit.

'I'M THIN BUT I LOVE TO RUN AND JUMP'

Angelina, who plays a CIA agent in Salt, got lots of cuts and bruises from doing her own stuntwork for the action thriller.

“I’ve always been kind of slight, but I’ve always loved to run and jump around and be physical, so action roles are not a huge challenge for me," Jolie said at a recent press junket. "I enjoy them."

Angelina, an Academy-Award winner, considers herself very lucky to be offered both action roles as well as dramatic parts.

"I got really lucky early in my career that I got offered roles where I could train for fighting," she says.

Jolie adds: "And then I met all these amazing stunt people who I've worked with for quite a few films, and so we've become kind of a family and they know the things I'm good at and they know the things that I complain about, but I end up getting through."

Interestingly, the role of CIA agent Evelyn Salt in Angelina's spy thriller, was originally written for a man, with Tom Cruise cast in the lead. But after Tom dropped out of the project, studio execs rewrote the part to accommodate Jolie in the role.

'SALT IS FRAILER THAN HER RIVALS SO I MADE HER MEANER'

The slender Angelina modified the character's demeanor to convincingly play a gun-slinging super-spy. "The physicality had to change," she says. "I’m smaller than everybody, so how do I go up against a bunch of men without looking silly? How do I fight?"

She adds: "We made her meaner than a guy, and dirty. She uses the walls, the fact that she’s lighter and can throw herself around. It’s the Chihuahua up against the big dogs.” Angelina_Jolie_brad_Pitt_Salt_Los_Angeles_premiere

Jolie, who bounced back into peak condition following the birth of twins Knox and Vivienne in July 2008, underwent grueling martial arts training for her blockbuster action thrillers, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001) and its sequel, Lara Croft: The Cradle of Life (2003).

She also did fight training and took up gun-shooting practice for the 2008 hit Wanted and the 2005 blockbuster Mr. and Mrs. Smith (which co-starred Brad).

'I LOVE MARTIAL ARTS'

While Angelina gets bored by regimented workouts, the lanky Oscar winner stays slim by being active and encourages her six young children to be active as well.

"I love martial arts," Angelina recently told OK! "They are ideal for children because they teach them discipline and perseverance. My son [Maddox, 8] is already starting to go to class."

So when she does sit down to see a movie, what does Angie like to watch? "I like all of Bruce Lee's films; he was the best," she notes. "I also like Jackie Chan a lot—my kids are Jackie Chan fans."

Salt, which co-stars Liev Schrieber, opens July 23.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips