Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gracie VS Shamrock

It was a good fight,...regardless of what the 'weekend warriors' might say. Congrats to Cung, he handled himself like a champ.

I can't believe some of you are criticizing.....some of you people on these forums are very funny.

Blog Entries
    i got mad respect for the man and think he did helluva job.

but would anyone agree, Cung Le looked a little awkward in that ring? there was something about his movement that wasn't truly him.

hsk

I've never seen either guy fight so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I think Le carried himself very well. He definately has some very good kicking, knows his distance very well. His presence was his biggest advantage. Altman was very scared, probably a mix of the last time they fought and Le's presence. WIth his excellent use of range in that fight I would wager to say that he has some of the top kicking in the game. The only thing that remains to be seen is him fighting against a better opponent, where he can truly test himself.
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu
    It was a good fight,...regardless of what the 'weekend warriors' might say. Congrats to Cung, he handled himself like a champ.

I can't believe some of you are criticizing.....some of you people on these forums are very funny.
    I think it's funny that when someone criticises that you call them a weekend warrior. It's absolutely obvious to anyone that has seen Cung Le fight previously, and to someone who trains live (whether "mma" or something else) that something was off in this fight. It was like they were playing tag for the most part...once in a while you'd see a 1-2 hit. Good distance, but Cung left himself in many vulnerable positions many times after his attacks that a better skilled opponent would've capitalized on.

I think that Cung is an awesome fighter...and he's one of my favorites. I'm no where near as good as he is, and I'm willing to bet you aren't either...so you should take other people's comments with a grain of salt. Have a coke and a smile and STFU.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

All of the times I've seen Cung Le fight I've never been impressed with any of his opponents.
    "Let your rapidity be that of the wind, your compactness that of the forest.
    In raiding and plundering be like fire, in immovability like a mountain.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Accursed Youtube! Can somebody please post this to something that is not Youtube or Google video?
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I liked it. Yes there was something a bit off about Cung Le, but I think he was just nervous. Different venue, a lot of pressure to win. In the begining of the fight he was stiff, towards the end he started looking more like his normal self. I think he'll continue to look stiff until he gains more confidense and gets more familiar with the octagon. Hopefully they don't rush him into the big name guys quickly.(especially the grapplers)

Does anyone know if he's doing any ground training. I would think it very foolish if he doesn't. He doesn't have to become Royce Gracie, but more like Liddel, enough to survive on the ground, and get back to his feet.

He was a really good wrestler in high school and college, and he's training BJJ now.
    "Let your rapidity be that of the wind, your compactness that of the forest.
    In raiding and plundering be like fire, in immovability like a mountain.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

every single striker that enters mma doesnt look the same, striking in mma enables guys liek kenny florian to outstrike muay thai champions (kid kope).

Florian didn't outstrike Cope, he submitted him. Strikers do very well in MMA. Look at Chuck Liddell and Mirko Cro Cop.

Yes. I'm a Kenny fan, but when he was standing with Kope, it was supremely evident that he needed to get the fight to the ground... and quick.

I thought he looked good. His weapons looked strong, relaxed and ready to fly at will. Confidence!

I think it was a good debut for Cung Le. He was very patient. I'd say 90% of his strikes were on target. Beautiful knock out. Jump spining back kick, blasts him off the fence right into a right hook. NICE!

I want to see more of Cung Le in MMA.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by quickjab
    Florian didn't outstrike Cope, he submitted him. Strikers do very well in MMA. Look at Chuck Liddell and Mirko Cro Cop.

he stood with him for long enough to be hit yet didnt. Thats just one example. A better one is that boxer dude in ultimate fighter 2 I think it was who lost to that josh guy who won it and didnt even do anything depsite standing like 5 mins wiht him.

I was there

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart