Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Temple Documentaries

Hybrid View

Sounds like an interesting episode. Hope it comes on BBC America at some point.

Ancient Warriors - The Shaolin Documentary

Ancient Warriors of Shaolin. not great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_dtfo9JuM0s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tq8csy7Gb8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFIsqDyFAaU

More

Shaolin Kung Fu Documentary

National geographic, The Shaolin Temple

Shaolin Kungfu Is Great

The Empty Mind - Shaolin Temple Warrior Monks

Donnie Yen - Kung Fu Fighters

Shaolin Journey

Ways to train Kungfu masters at Shaolin Temple (Part One)
    Ways to train Kungfu masters at Shaolin Temple (Part Two)
    Ways to train Kungfu masters at Shaolin Temple (Part Three)

Discovery. Good One!
    How Shaolin Temple trains Kungfu in Europe (Part 1 of 5)
    How Shaolin Temple trains Kungfu in Europe (Part 2 of 5)
    How Shaolin Temple trains Kungfu in Europe (Part 3 of 5)How Shaolin Temple trains Kungfu in Europe (Part 4 of 5)
    How Shaolin Temple trains Kungfu in Europe (Part 5 of 5)

Kongfu Monk from China's Shaolin perform in New York(1 of 5)
    Kongfu Monk from China's Shaolin perform in New York(2 of 5)
    Kongfu Monk from China's Shaolin perform in New York(3 of 5)
    Kongfu Monk from China's Shaolin perform in New York(4 of 5)
    Kongfu Monk from China's Shaolin perform in New York(5 of 5)

Myths & Logic Of Shaolin Kung-Fu (Part 1 of 5)
    Myths & Logic Of Shaolin Kung-Fu (Part 2): Kongfu for kids
    Myths & Logic Of Shaolin Kung-Fu (Part 3 of 5)
    Myths & Logic Of Shaolin Kung-Fu (Part 4 of 5)
    Myths & Logic Of Shaolin Kung-Fu (Part 5 of 5)

Chinese Kongfu Series: Wudang Style Wushu Combat (Part 1/5)
    Chinese Kongfu Series: Wudang Style Wushu Combat (Part 2/5)
    Chinese Kongfu Series: Wudang Style Wushu Combat (Part 3/5)
    Chinese Kongfu Series: Wudang Style Wushu Combat (Part 4/5)
    Chinese Kongfu Series: Wudang Style Wushu Combat (Part 5/5)

Raiders of the Lost Kung Fu 1
    Raiders of the Lost Kung Fu 2
    Raiders of the Lost Kung Fu 3
    Raiders of the Lost Kung Fu 4
    Raiders of the Lost Kung Fu 5

Way of the Warrior - Kung Fu, the Hard Way [1/4]
    Way of the Warrior - Kung Fu, the Hard Way [2/4]
    Way of the Warrior - Kung Fu, the Hard Way [3/4]
    Way of the Warrior - Kung Fu, the Hard Way [4/4]
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

****, the "Iron head" guy in the "raiders of the lost kung fu" was brutal!
    He's not going to last long doing that!
    And the fight club! Thats the first I've seen of that documentary. Crazy!
    Thanks a lot.

Survivor didn't count

...or did it?

There was also the Human Weapon episode (which I still haven't seen )

Next week, there's the premiere Fight Quest episode.
    WUSHU; SANDA
    Masters: Shi DeYang/Shi De Cheng
    Features: Hands, Feet, smashing things
    Premiere: Dec. 28, 2007
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Extreme Pilgrim

Extreme Pilgrim
    Fri 4 Jan, 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm 60mins
    1/3. China: The Mountain

Peter Owen Jones has been a vicar in the Church of England for 14 years. He has three parishes in the beautiful Sussex Downs, and is happy with his rural ministry. But Peter feels that spirituality - a closeness to God - is almost absent from religious life in the UK. In a series of three tough, physical journeys to the extremes of world religions he seeks to discover and experience spiritual enlightenment for himself.

The Chan Buddhist monks of the mountains of central China practice a form of Buddhism in which enlightenment is achieved by extreme physical and mental disciplines. Prayer books and scriptures are thrown away in favour of extended meditation and martial arts moves of astonishing complexity. When Pete arrives at the world famous Shaolin monastery he has to start from scratch, enduring a painful and rigorous regime of Kung Fu training that leaves him writhing in agony. And in a China that is developing rapidly the monastery has become a tourist trap. Pete knows there is another centre for this kind of training run by a mysterious monk - Shi di Jiang, deep in the Song Shan mountains. Here, with guidance from the master, Pete learns to empty his mind and achieve enlightenment through a series of simple disciplines, whilst learning about love and the meaning of non-attachment from the monks and a 76-year-old nun.
    I'm told this is sort of the spiritual version of Human Weapon/Fight Quest. I did some consulting on this project (should get a credit) and the producers are sending me a copy. For you in the UK, it's on this Friday at 9.00 p.m. on BBC 2 - we'd love to hear more about it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

New Shaolin Temple Documentary

There is a new documentary on National Geographic channel on Shaolin Temple. It is called Kung Fu Temple and is about how Shaolin is coping with modern times. It was pretty interesting. You can find it if you have the National Geographic On Demand Channel.

Well, here's an oversight

After starting this thread, Alex never added his own documentary. It has it's own thread, of course, but it needs to be added here too, for archival sake.

The Real Shaolin by Alex Sebastian Lee

I actually came on here to add another doc that I caught just by chance on PBS last night (I skipped the Shaolin vs. Maori episode of Deadliest Warrior because I don't have cable)

Catch this on your local PBS station.
    Kung Fu Journey to the East
    60-Minute Documentary (2006; airing now)

Explore the world of martial arts in China on a journey with two American Kung Fu students. Masters of China’s most renowned martial arts schools will share their knowledge and wisdom with these two determined learners. Instruction will provide a deeper understanding of this ancient Chinese philosophy and tradition, which combines exercise, self-defense, self-discipline, and art.

In this two-week journey, Kristi Jordan and Adam McArthur study a variety of martial arts forms, from Taiqi—a softer, internal martial art typical of Wudang Mountain— to harder, external styles attributed to the Shaolin Temple. How do Kung Fu classes in the U.S. prepare them for this challenge to mind, body, and spirit? Does a visit to the origins of this 1,500-year-old tradition and lessons with Chinese Masters affect their performance and increase their devotion to Kung Fu practice? This feature-length documentary will shed light on these questions, and provide depth and perspective to this ancient, but increasingly popular art form.
    Note that this is the same production crew that did Riding the Rails in China mentioned earlier on this thread. It's an Oakland-based company, total five&dime local as we say here.

Since it's only a two-week journey and it covers Beijing, Wudang, Emei & Shaolin, only a little time is spent for the practitioner protagonists. They have to travel, train and visit the tourist sites, which leave only a short time for them to really absorb anything, so their evening hotel cam comments are rather fawning about the experience. I'm sure anyone on such a tour would have a great trip, and it seems that Kristi and Adam have the time of their lives, but dynamically, it comes off as more of a video postcard than anything else. It's not very penetrating. That being said, it does feature some luminaries. They have a short audience with Abbot Shi Yongxin, who sells them on the idea that the monks meditate for 15 hours each day, and train under Shi Yanao and Shi Yanzhuang, who were just here for Shaolin Temple Day. They also meet with Wu Bin, who has pledged to come to our Tiger Claw’s KungFuMagazine.com Championship (shameless plug there).

But still, I'm guessing my time was better spent watching this than watching Deadliest Warrior...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shaolin docu from england

Dear members,

Years ago i gues it whas 2004 or 2005 i'v seen on the local tv a shaolin docu.
    Special Shi De Yang whas allmost 80% in this docu thalking about shaolin kung fu with he's master.

But never found this docu or diddent seen it somewhere to buy or to get in any chance.

Does somebody know who made it or if its available somewhere.
    The docu whas very interesting for me, it also made me study shaolin KF.

Thanks in advance.

Here a small scene out of this docu.

http://www.shaolindisciples.net/sdylowres.wmv

Thanks again.

I think this one has been branded with a couple of different names as it was edited and distributed all over.

Shi De Yang is pretty young in it, so it's been more than 5 or 6 years since this was made.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

This particular documentary was filmed in 1995. However, only this fragment of it is still around to my knowledge.

This thread is officially ridonculus now. lol

The collective merge sea has it now...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Wu Gu Lun Documentary

http://vimeo.com/18911353

http://vimeo.com/5304872

http://vimeo.com/4900697

Lots of stuff from Wu Nan Fang. Have fun

Kind regards,
    Cyrill

Thumbs up

Thanks for this. The movement of the Wu Gu Lun guys is truly beguiling. My Shaolin is pretty hard so its interesting to see an alternate approach to the art.

Quote Originally Posted by Crosshandz View Post
    Thanks for this. The movement of the Wu Gu Lun guys is truly beguiling. My Shaolin is pretty hard so its interesting to see an alternate approach to the art.
    Yeah I know, but after seeing this it explained me something what my body was already telling me. Namely after all this "harder" training, I also should ad some softness to it and the results are interesting. And that opens another gate, where I see even more and more training I have to do, to get anywhere close to acceptable, so still much to do

Kind regards,
    Xian

lots of hard work.