Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ichi the Killer

Hisashiburi

It's been a long time for me as well.

I remember getting lost in the plot and it was a very sick movie. I doubt I'll watch it anytime soon as I don't remember it having such a profound effect on me.

I'd watch Audition instead.

Unfortunately, I've never read the manga for Ichi. I will need to add the anime though on my list of things to watch.

Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    anyone else like this movie?

Think you could take Ichi in a fight?
    I like it, but it tends to get lost in itself. Not to mention him pleasuring himself outside that girl's apartment is a tad bit disturbing. I could have done without the close up of the skeet hitting the ground.

I would probably have an easier time with Ichi if he wasn't wearing his heal blades. In addition, I'd rip apart the jaws of that blond guy that likes to bite off peoples' hands.
    Last edited by ghostexorcist; 12-11-2008 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostexorcist View Post
    I could have done without the close up of the skeet hitting the ground.
    lol no doubt
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

ya they should have gone with wrist blades.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

One of Miike's masterpieces for sure.

I'm morbidly fascinated by Miike. I just saw The Great Yokai War, which I enjoyed very much. It reminded me of Zebraman.

Ichi was incredible - harsh from the opening scene onward (what a way to do opening credit! ****!!) but I loved some of the twists in that film. It just kept going in unpredictable ways.

Is this going to be our Miike thread? We do need one here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I'm morbidly fascinated by Miike. I just saw The Great Yokai War, which I enjoyed very much. It reminded me of Zebraman.

Ichi was incredible - harsh from the opening scene onward (what a way to do opening credit! ****!!) but I loved some of the twists in that film. It just kept going in unpredictable ways.

Is this going to be our Miike thread? We do need one here.
    Sure, can we change the name? or should we leave it?

Its funny because all of the characters, except for the ex cop turned gunman, are pretty sadistic messed up individuals. But I still find myself sympathizing with them and liking them anyway. Like Kakihara. Who cant love that guy!

Just added The Great Yokai War, to my netflix que. Ill bump it up so i can have it next.

Leave the title for now - we can always change it later

Let's see first if anyone else posts on this thread. It may just wind up me and you talking, Lucas. That would be fine. If nothing else, we can school the others in the wonders of Miike. Somehow I doubt that were alone here tho. I'm sure there are more Miike fans here, but let's let the forum take it's course.

I'd recommend Zebraman over Great Yokai War. I should mention that these are both kid films. That's right, Miike doing kid films. That's part of what makes them special. It's kind of like Dave McKean's work - he's done some really dark stuff, but then, he turns around and does these wonderful children's stories.

Zebraman will appeal if your a fan of tokusatsu like Ultraman, Rainbow Seven or Kikaida. I loved the original Kikaida so this one really hit home. It's a very well told story - funny, nerdy and ultimately quite satisfying.

Great Yokai War is more surreal, but it works better if you're familiar with Japanese children's fables like the Little Peach Boy, or Ukiyo horror art. I was raised on some of that, so things like umbrella demons, lantern devils and women with 50ft necks are par for the course for me. On that level, I found it pretty predictable, but if you don't know anything about it, it could be really way out for you.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

just added zebraman.

right now im also adding every Miike film i can on my instant que. I'll probably stream a few of these this weekend.

ill go with Masters of Horror, Takashi Miike: Imprint. The synopsis sounds really cool.

Have you watched Izo?

I also really liked Yakuza Demon.

Ive only seen a few of his flicks, but I think im on a crusade to watch everything.

I really like Miike's Gozu. Though it seems people either appreciate it or hate it; no in-between. It's essentially a Yakuza/horror/comedy, but comedy done in an understated, Miike way.

Ichi the Killer's a good film, but it's not one I watch too often. When I first bought it some years ago, I had thought Ichi was the bleach-blond torturer played by Tadanobu Asano, who's pictured on the cover. It is a wild, twisted movie, one of the weirdest I've seen. Ichi himself can almost be considered an onscreen monster like the Jasons and Myers and Kruegers, but with his characteristic perversions. The movie Ichi (or 1-Ichi) is a prequel to this film (not directed by Miike), and shows (mostly) how he came to become that way. The thing about Ichi's character is that he's a psycho (or a super-psycho). That and other reasons seem to make him superhuman and almost unstoppable, yet with a frailty, meaning violence literally gets him off.

I've had my eye on Izo at my local Best Buy, as it's sold there at a low price, but both copies there rattle when I lightly shake them (loose disc) so I'll wait 'til they get better copies.

I also saw one film that was a 3-director collaboration between Takashi Miike, Park Chan-Wook, and a HK director oddly named Fruit Chan. I forget the title, I think it's Three (something). It was a horror film of three separate stories, one by each director. Oddly enough, of the three installments, Miike's was the most subdued, Park's the most intense, and Chan's was unimpressive (IMO).

I like some of Miike's work, Gozu being my personal favorite. Probably my favorite of the current Japanese directors is Ryuhei Kitamura (Azumi, Versus, Skyhigh, Aragami). Though his and Miike's styles are completely different.

fruit chan

fruit chan is a well known horror filmmaker based out of hong kong, he has made something like 10 films over the last 13 years he is 49 years old.the only film i've seen of his was a movie called dumplings starring pauline lau an tony lueng(ka fai not chiu wai) fruits first american film dont look up is a remake and should be out next year.

watched sukiyaki western django this weekend.

I had a lot of fun with this one. Quite a unique flick. At first I didnt realize in the opening scene that that was quentin tarantino.

Izo is a fun one IMO. Nice pace to it, and lots of violence

twisted story too

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    watched sukiyaki western django this weekend.

I had a lot of fun with this one. Quite a unique flick. At first I didnt realize in the opening scene that that was quentin tarantino.
    yeah sukiyaki is one of those watch it once flicks, but cant watch it again. i liked it the first time although i wish miike got some better english actors or just put the whole thing in japanese.

We do have a thread for SWD

The Sukiyaki Western Django actually quelled my enthusiasm for seeing this. It fell down to the bottom of the 'to see' list.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips