Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Wing Chun Useless?

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    And as a bouncer, you have to carefully tread a line between keen discussion and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Most skillful bouncers show that you do not have to resort to use martial arts in 99.9% of the time.

Heck, when I did handgun training, you learn to be polite always in an armed society.

I guess again we have to have the discussion of lower 3 chakra life orientation versus the upper 4.
    A very thin line at times Sifu Chu, too thin.
    I have seen my share of abuses and at times felt the urge to do just that.
    I can gratefully say that the vast majority of times, talking resolved almost every issue.
    Unfortunately, not all of them.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Tom Wong hasn't claimed anything on this thread.
    Yoshiyahu just stirring the waters.

joy chaudhuri
    we didn't call up Tom Wong, we posted the question here in this thread, and since Yoshiyahu made the claim , HE should be able to back it up no?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    we didn't call up Tom Wong, we posted the question here in this thread, and since Yoshiyahu made the claim , HE should be able to back it up no?
    yoshi should have to prove it. tom wong is probably like wtf i never said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post

Well I have read some articles where people who have studied various ground fighting arts and striking arts were defeated by Tom Wong.
    links to said articles?

Most highly skilled Martial Artist do not participate in UFC or MMA competitions.
    I'd bet good money on either GSP or Anderson Silva vs ANY wing chun person

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    that's the "HE" I was talking about

Wing chun and a good mind is whats important. This being said, it is good to know what your oponent is trying to do to an extent.

Yoshi-who is your sifu in wing chun? You seem to have alot of questions that could be easily answered by discovering for yourself or asking your sifu and classmates. If your a complete novice id understand all the questions but youve said yourself youve dont WC for quite awhile. The questions you ask and discussions you start IMO are things i did while less than a year into the chun.

Im in springfield if you ever come this way let me know if you want to chi sau ect
    "Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight."-Psalms 144:1

"I Am The Punishment Of God, If You Had Not Committed Great Sins, God Would Not Have Sent A Punishment Like Me Upon You"-Genghis Khan

"The light of the eyes is a comet, And ones' activity is as lightning, The sword that kills the man; is the sword that saves the man"

I don't see a Yellow Belt BJJ fighter defeating a Ten Degree black belt in shotokan Karate.
    Are there any Ten Degree [sic] Shotokan black belts?

In most BJJ schools only the kids have yellow belts. Usual belt colours in BJJ are white, blue, purple, brown and black.

I want to help you stop saying things that betray your ignorance, though it's like trying to stop a tsunami with a paper cup.

One of the few things we agree on is that m1k3's post was good. Pretty much my attitude to WC and BJJ.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    There are but they are kinda old.

Plus, no need to be rude to the Yoshiyahu. He has been nothing but polite in his posts.

mean people

I asked questions to get thought provoking answers...Also I enjoy just have discussions an hearing different opinions. I hate to just dish out information..

I have been doing WC for years? i didn't say:
    If your a complete novice id understand all the questions but youve said yourself youve dont WC for quite awhile.
    However I am new to this forum. many questions or threads I have started I have did before on other forums before this one. I come on here to enjoy conversation of other WC guys. I how ever if I offended you katsu so sorry for that...its not my intentions. i seem to be stepping on toes today...i guess WC vs BJJ is a touchy subject...kinda like Kung Fu vs Karate or Karate vs Tae Kwon Do back in the day.

Check this link out concerning opinions on Shotokan Karate...Most say they are ten degrees there...

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question...4113430AA4yHY6

Once black belt is achieved, there are different dan test or degrees for black belt instead of notches. There are 10 dan's of black belt in Shotokan karate. ...

http://www.kumitekid.com/page_11.html

I got this from How Many Black Belt Degrees in Shotokan Karate (google it)

Quote Originally Posted by Katsu Jin Ken View Post
    Yoshi-who is your sifu in wing chun? You seem to have alot of questions that could be easily answered by discovering for yourself or asking your sifu and classmates. If your a complete novice id understand all the questions but youve said yourself youve dont WC for quite awhile. The questions you ask and discussions you start IMO are things i did while less than a year into the chun.

Im in springfield if you ever come this way let me know if you want to chi sau ect
    Sorry for my ignorance..I have never taking shotokan karate...I know people who have but I have not...

Check this link out concerning opinions on Shotokan Karate...Most say they are ten degrees there...

Once black belt is achieved, there are different dan test or degrees for black belt instead of notches. There are 10 dan's of black belt in Shotokan karate. ...

I must have heard someone say something about tenth dan degree befor I don't remember again excuse my ignorance. I am enjoying conversating with you guys. Please do not be offended?

In most BJJ schools only the kids have yellow belts. Usual belt colours in BJJ are white, blue, purple, brown and black.

I want to help you stop saying things that betray your ignorance, though it's like trying to stop a tsunami with a paper cup.

One of the few things we agree on is that m1k3's post was good. Pretty much my attitude to WC and BJJ.

i guess WC vs BJJ is a touchy subject
    It shouldn't be a touchy subject in a KUNG FU forum but unfortunately it seems that most people who post here are MMA-ists rather than genuine kung fu practitioners and that is why they get offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu

I got this from How Many Black Belt Degrees in Shotokan Karate (google it

Sorry for my ignorance..I have never taking shotokan karate...I know people who have but I have not...

I must have heard someone say something about tenth dan degree befor I don't remember again excuse my ignorance. I am enjoying conversating with you guys. Please do not be offended?
    Don't worry about the facts about Shotokan as many people here do not have their facts as regards authentic kung fu training and this is supposed to be a kung fu forum, let alone getting their facts about authentic karate...lol.

YOU ARE RIGHT: Shotokan karate does have 10 dans except some "new" and "improved" Western Mc Karate versions that may have more than 20 dans (whatever sells, right?)...lol.

The related Shotokai (Egami) style of karate has only 5 dans.

Yoshiyahu, you have not insulted anyone and if anyone is offended by your posts then that is their problem as you have been nothing but polite in your posts.

I asked questions to get thought provoking answers
    You need to ask thought provoking questions, preferably those trhat haven't been asked before in those dreaded old threads.

I hate to just dish out information..
    That hasn't happened so far.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Responses

Yes Hardwork thankyou. For your kindness. Many people don't take rejection or disagreement well. I have done my best to remain humble and not lash out at idiotic responses. But everyone is different. Had I been 18 or 19 now with only three years of WC under my belt I might have said some outlandish things to some of the posters...lol...Yes I see today ever one wants to add Japanese arts to their chinese arts? Its nothing wrong with it. But I do realize that various kung fu styles have ground fighting like mongolian wrestling,ground mantis and shaishou (wrong spelling please forgive). I don't have all the facts. And I am not best fighter on earth either. Defeating me in a fight is small feat by my estimation. But I study WC because I love it. I don't have phyiscal confortations every day. Nor do I live in area where I have defend my life everyday. But I am looking forward to meeting MA's in my area an fighting with them on regular basis informally. But yes people shouldn't be offended but they are. Here lies the problem. They have a point to prove or axe to bear with me. But me I am on the forum for fun. Because I love discussing WC and hearing people discuss their experiences and what they learn from WC training. Nothing wrong with MMA or Wrestling or groundfighting. But I care about hearing about ground fighting as about as much as you see me posting in Grappling forums. I rather here about pure WC being used successfully against many different styles of fighters including ground fighters. But not many on here have real confidence in their WC,Karate,Muay Thai, or any other art as their main and primary style. Most people feel they need to supplement another art into their system of fighting instead of adapting to their weaknesses.

There is always a way to adapt. If you are a smaller guy you can not go an get longer legs...No you have to adapt. If you are fighting a bigger opponent you can go an put on 200lbs so you can be the same weight can you? Atleast not with out having some health issues. If your fighting a younger fighter can you take off they years you have aged? No you must adapt! Now you can add another style you learn many different fighting styles. But you can at best utilize two styles equally as well. One style better than two. An of course three styles you not have mastery in any of them but you will pull what works for you out of each style. Thus having a mesh of a style! But the best thing to do is to adapt. Or you can try to study a little from each style so you can be aware of some of their strategy. But in reality you can never totally know all your enemies secrets. If you have ten enemies. One is Judo master,another Muay Thai master, another a boxer,another Bak Mei fighter, another a hung gar fighter, another footbal player,another a college wrestler,another monkey fighter and another a xing yi fighter and another a tai chi fighter an so on. Could you really learn all those arts so you can know your enemy?

But you can cross train two arts more successfully than three. In my opinion. But of course mastery will be easier in one...Like the movie the five deadly venoms. There was a kid who learn all five styles. But since he didn't specialize in any one style he didn't have the strenths(Kung) the other five deadly venoms had. Because they totally mastered their one style. He had a mix of all five but no real specialization in any one of them.

But think you for your opinion...It well taking...I know many people will crucify me for my statements but so be it. I am quirky guy kinda of a controversial at times. So I am use to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    It shouldn't be a touchy subject in a KUNG FU forum but unfortunately it seems that most people who post here are MMA-ists rather than genuine kung fu practitioners and that is why they get offended.

Don't worry about the facts about Shotokan as many people here do not have their facts as regards authentic kung fu training and this is supposed to be a kung fu forum, let alone getting their facts about authentic karate...lol.

YOU ARE RIGHT: Shotokan karate does have 10 dans except some "new" and "improved" Western Mc Karate versions that may have more than 20 dans (whatever sells, right?)...lol.

The related Shotokai (Egami) style of karate has only 5 dans.

Yoshiyahu, you have not insulted anyone and if anyone is offended by your posts then that is their problem as you have been nothing but polite in your posts.

I am a newbie to the forum so those old threads I am not aware of. But if you don't care for my thread than why respond or post on it. If you have before in another thread. Threads I don't care for i never post in...

You need to ask thought provoking questions, preferably those trhat haven't been asked before in those dreaded old threads.

That hasn't happened so far.
    Last edited by Yoshiyahu; 03-12-2009 at 08:40 PM.

So, basicly, you made a false claim, got called on it, and now want us all to forget it ever happened?

frustrating

So, basicly, you made a false claim, got called on it, and now want us all to forget it ever happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    Its weird I posted my respons on your statments twice so far....an both times it did not get posted for some reason!!!

Tom Wong:

http://www.wingchunkungfu.org/wing-c...-sum-neng.html

This Guy is trained in Ground Fighting
    I have studied martial arts for almost 30 years under many famous grandmasters from, Karate, Hapkido, Jujitsu, JKD and Wing Chun.

The guy who studied Jujitsu and Hapkido is speaking about Tom Wong!!!

He told me that practicing the forms alone would not make me understand the priciples and applications of Wing Chun. He also tested my sensitivity with his hands attached to mine. I was not able to sense or block his punches. Even though he had told me in advance where he would try to hit me. He did the same thing to every one I knew. It puzzled that I couldn't do the same thing he did to me. Out of frustration and curiosity, I suggested we go under a freeway for an all out sparring match.

Since I was at my prime physical state, ten years older, heavier and bigger than him, I thought I had every bit of an advantage of winning the sparring contest. But in no time I became his punching bag. It went beyond my power and comprehension that he could generate such power and throw me in every direction. All I could see was the sky turning upside down. There was a blackout and from there on I couldn't remember a thing.

Sum Nung Too even though he is deceased now:

http://www.w1ng.com/sum-nung-master-of-wing-chun/

To further this idea, Yuen Kay-San next set Sum Nung up to face a well-known local wrestler. This opponent proved wilier and instead of attacking directly, he sought to fake out Sum Nung with feints. When their bridges finally touched, Sum was initially in a disadvantageous position and his opponent moved quickly to tackle him. Sum’s reflexes took over, however, and he cleared the wrestler’s grappling attempt and at the same time struck the man in the flank, sending him to the ground.

There is another encounter I can't remeber what Sifu did it. But he fought some challengers at his Kwoon. Some of which were collegiate wrestlers. They were thrown to the flor too and complained about WC is not suppose to have throws.

Here is another encounter with Tom Wong:

http://www.wingchunkungfu.org/tom-wo...-chun-bio.html

Master Wong (a Wudong Chi Kung master 8th Level Shaolin Chi-Gung, 11th Level Taoist Chi-Gung), used Chi to immobilize several wrestlers at once.