Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Year of the Ninja?

Year of the Ninja?

We're only three months into 2007 and there's been a lot of ninja buzz lately.

Last week there was T M N T.

'Ask a Ninja,' OK Go win YouTube Video Awards
    Seven honorees announced for video-sharing site's inaugural awards
    By Jake Coyle
    The Associated Press
    Originally published March 26, 2007, 12:55 PM EDT
    NEW YORK // The video series "Ask a Ninja" and OK Go's treadmill-choreographed music video are among the winners in the first YouTube Video Awards.

The video-sharing site announced the seven winners from its inaugural awards today, a week after the nominees were put forth for voting. Each category included 10 nominated videos, which users could rank in order of their liking.

"These individuals put the first stitches in the fabric of the YouTube community," said Jamie Byrne, head of product marketing for YouTube. "Instead of seeing a way to share videos, they saw an opportunity for worldwide visibility and through their success have changed the landscape of how a 'star' is defined."

The power pop band OK Go, perhaps the most professional of the mostly amateur nominees, won most creative video for their "Here It Goes Again" music video. "Ask a Ninja," the popular comedy created by Kent Nichols and Douglas Sarine, won for best series.

"Ask a Ninja" triumphed over perhaps YouTube's biggest celebrity: Lonelygirl15. That bedroom production finished fourth, behind "Ask A Gay Man" and "Chad Vader."

Terra Naomi won for best music video for her song "Say It's Possible," a one-shot clip of her playing acoustic guitar and singing. Naomi has parlayed her online success into a record deal with Island Records, and will release her debut album this summer.

Best commentary was one of the most hotly contested categories, as it pitted several of YouTube's most high-profile personalities against one another. A vlogger known as "The Winekone" won over Peter Oakley ("Geriatric1927") and Paul Robinett ("Renetto").

A video calling for a "Free Hugs Campaign" won for most inspirational video. Australian Juan Mann's video set off an online wildfire of similar "Free Hugs" campaigns.

Anthony Padilla and Ian Hecox, also known as Smosh, won for best comedy video. Dony Permedi's animated video "Kiwi!" -- which began as a master's thesis on animation, won for most adorable video.

The winners and nominees are compiled in a gallery online. YouTube says it will later unveil what a YouTube Video Award will look like.

Google-owned, San Bruno, Calif.-based YouTube Inc. was founded in February 2005. Media conglomerate Viacom Inc. recently sued YouTube for $1 billion, claiming the site infringes on copyrights on a "huge scale." Several other media companies have reached agreements to supply YouTube with clips.

According to comScore Media Metrix, YouTube attracted 133.5 million visitors worldwide in January.
    See the YouTube video awards.

And coming soon.

Looks like we better stock up on ninja gear....
    Last edited by KFQ Admin; 10-09-2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: wrong product URL
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I think you might be on to something Gene.

Perhaps the ninja craze of the 80s is making a comeback.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

can we get a ninja smiley?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

how about a ninjette defeating a pirate wench?

There should be more pix like these on the web.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Agreed.

"For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Yes!, Ninja should beat the Pirates. Year of the Ninja though....wasn't that in, like, like, 1986 or somthing like that.

Mythbusters

Check out Walking on Water coming soon to Mythbusters.

APR 25 2007 @ 09:00 PM
    APR 26 2007 @ 01:00 AM
    APR 30 2007 @ 08:00 PM
    MAY 01 2007 @ 12:00 AM
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Pest Control

It's just like this around the office here. The only difference is that instead of an apartment, it's a warehouse stocked full of this.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt for tomorrow night

The Mythbusters go Ninja.

Apr 25, 9:00 pm (60 minutes)
    It's east meets west in the Mythbusters Ninja Special. Shrouded in secrecy and mythology, not to mention cult popularity Ninjas are perfect fodder for the Mythbusters. In this episode the whole team combine to pit science against martial arts mystique.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Mail Order Ninja

Mail Order Ninja is running in some syndicated newspaper comics now. It's a regular installment here at San Francisco Chronicle.

Actually, I've known this for a long time. I'm just ttt-ing this for the Mythbusters episode, which airs tonight!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene Chen of King Fu Magazine?

Those Mythbusters can't get their facts straight. I didn't get to the credits of that ninja episode personally, but my sources tell me that I was credited as 'Gene Chen' and it was spelled 'King Fu Magazine' and 'Tigerclaw' (instead of Tiger Claw). Oh bother. We must have been sabotaged by jealous ninjas...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

first vanilla ice, now vanilla ninja

Vanilla Ninja - obviously this site is in some sort of ninja code talk.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ok maybe next year

EA announces Wii ninja game
    Wednesday 5-Dec-2007 3:36 PM Party like you're a ninja
    Ninja Reflex is a party game for Wii (and DS) that'll test your ninja, er, reflexes.

Basically, you'll be hit with a number of martial arts-related challenges which you must pull of with the precision of Bruce Lee. Reaction times are measured to the millisecond, we're told.

You're ultimate goal in single-player is to earn a black belt, while you can also try and out-ninja other ninjas in multiplayer.

"Ninja Reflex channels the accessible multiplayer fun of Wii Sports and the self-improvement aspect of Brain Age into a martial arts universe that is ideally suited for the Wii and Nintendo DS," says David Luntz, president and CEO of Nunchuck Games which is co-publishing the game with EA.

Ninja Reflex ninjas into shops next March. Have a look at the Wii screenshots if you're ninja enough.
    It's DAY OF THE NINJA 2007! How are you celebrating?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

You were two years early, Gene

Obviously, some one leaked our plans. The rise of the Ninja Nation starts this week.

Always the avante garde...

...sometimes it's a curse.

Well, we had a lot of fun with our NINJA STAR contest. I had a feeling it would be early, mostly because Ninja Assassin opens just before T-Day. But we had to go with NINJA STAR when we did, since it was essentially a costume contest and we planned it to cross Halloween. If Ninja Assassin fulfills it's promise for an R-rated ninja flick, we were in front of another great ninja wave. We'll see in a few weeks.

The NINJA STAR contest has put me in tune with ninjas again so I'm really ready for Ninja Assassin.

Meanwhile, and this one just speaks to the bottom of my heart, here's some ninja chips.
    The Doritos Dynasty begins...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips