Thread: Training 'shen'

Hybrid View

Training 'shen'

The ARMY, specifically, uses BJJ as the base of it's combatives program not because BJJ is necessarily 'street lethal' in combat, but because the ARMY believes soldiers practicing at full strength against resisting opponents helps keep them aggressive, competitive, and mentally prepared for combat.

"Shen" is supposed to be part of traditional training, one of the three jewels of Chinese kung fu. In civilian life, unless you are hungry, deprived, or depraved, there isn't much to spur you into honing a killer mindset. Training "kill" techniques doesn't necessarily also develop your mentality to kill, or even to defend yourself aggressively.

With that in mind, are there any other methods you can use to help instill 'intent' into your practice?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    The ARMY, specifically, uses BJJ as the base of it's combatives program not because BJJ is necessarily 'street lethal' in combat, but because the ARMY believes soldiers practicing at full strength against resisting opponents helps keep them aggressive, competitive, and mentally prepared for combat.

"Shen" is supposed to be part of traditional training, one of the three jewels of Chinese kung fu. In civilian life, unless you are hungry, deprived, or depraved, there isn't much to spur you into honing a killer mindset. Training "kill" techniques doesn't necessarily also develop your mentality to kill, or even to defend yourself aggressively.

With that in mind, are there any other methods you can use to help instill 'intent' into your practice?
    Reality based scenario training is SUPPOSED to develop this, in a "civilized" manner.
    It tends not to do that, but it does make one THINK it does.
    Intent is a tricky thing, it is different things to different people/systems.
    Is it a "killer instinct"?
    Is it the ability to do what must be done, regardless?
    Is it doing, period ?
    Is it the difference between sport and life threating combat?
    Probably all of the above in one way or another.

Regardless, it is something that few have and even fewer can develop if they don't "have" it.

Everyone is a potential killer under the right circumstances, but how many train with the knowledge that that WILL kill?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I guess NOTHING may prepare or ready you for the killing in the battlefield.

--

however, in terms of MA practice;

1. the spirits of a tiger mostly mimicked:

ferocity, tenacity,--

2. the spirits of a leopard;

alertness, speed, accuracy,

3. the spirits of a snake;

evasive, single blow/strike,--

--

on and on.

On Killing

There was an ex-Army Ranger, David Grossman, who became a psychologist and wrote a book called "On Killing." It's been a while since I've read it but his thesis was that normal humans are exceedingly reluctant to kill another human but that modern military training programs had found a way to overcome that reluctance to some degree. He provides lots of examples. It's worth a read and is guaranteed to get you lots of funny looks from folks on public transportation.

Training with the intent that you MAY have to MDK someone is far different than training with the knowledge and belief that you KNOW you will be going into an invironment where you will likey be doing just that.

its similar to training in your school, only sparring your buddies, doing forms and conditioning and thats it, vs training to go into the cage in a few months against someone who wants to beat you down for the win.

completely different degrees of course, yet along the same lines of intentional utilization.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Without a doubt one of my greatest martial art lessons came from bashing a Brook Trout over the head with a stone. Seriously.

I remember the first time I felt fear, real fear, not they type you get at a roller coaster or parachute jumping for the first time or when you knwo you are gonna get into a fight, nope none of that.
    I was 15, I was living in Portugal and it was night time ( I had been doing MA since 8 at that time BTW), I was with a group 3 guys a 2 girls, just walking when an old lady wlaks by and one of my friends starts making spooky noises to scare her, I keep walking and in about 5 seconds he and another run by me, I look back and met with a ***** slap to end all ***** slaps and get grabbed by the throat.
    It seems the son of the old GYPSY lady didn't think it was funny and all I can say was "it wasn't me", now, I don't know why he did it but he takes out a knife and puts against my throat and (thank goodness) his mom (old lady) comes up and says it wasn't me it was the guy in the white jacket.
    He looks around and drops me and they both leave.
    A choice of clothing would have gutted me.
    I never felt fear tell that moment, that cold, sweat down your back, knwo you are gonna die kind of fear.
    Never felt it since then, not bouncing, not in competition and not in the military.
    I use it, I use that memory, don't think I ever will forget it.
    I saw intent that night, I looked into its eyes and smelled its breath.

Its a whole different ball game.

I experienced something like that down here, twice, and it has mellowed me out a lot. I have no desire to fight anyone in civilian life outside of a competitive context. Some people place no value on life. I want to live and live well and long.

On Killing.... great book.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    I experienced something like that down here, twice, and it has mellowed me out a lot. I have no desire to fight anyone in civilian life outside of a competitive context. Some people place no value on life. I want to live and live well and long.
    A sad statement Bro, but true, some people will just as soon kill you as look at you.