Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Training 'shen'

I get this rubber like red dragon that starts inside me the size of a pin head then grows fast to envelope my entire body. Then I look around at the messed up guys on the ground and decide to get away before the cops come.
    So I might be crazy, but may be dangerous. I feel happy, not remorseful.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com

Quote Originally Posted by greendragon View Post
    I get this rubber like red dragon......
    "Red Rubber Ball
    ( The Cyrkle )

I should have known you'd bid me farewell
    There's a lesson to be learned from this and I learned it very well
    Now I know you're not the only starfish in the sea
    If I never hear your name again, it's all the same to me

And I think it's gonna be all right
    Yeah, the worst is over now
    The mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball"

etc......

(actually, perhaps, the "Anti-Shen"?)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    The ARMY, specifically, uses BJJ as the base of it's combatives program not because BJJ is necessarily 'street lethal' in combat, but because the ARMY believes soldiers practicing at full strength against resisting opponents helps keep them aggressive, competitive, and mentally prepared for combat.
    BJJ is no doubt chosen for the no non sense approach that it offers. It managed to convince the world that its versatility (Gi, No Gi, Vale Tudo, and Street) is most suitable for most hand to hand combat situation.

"Shen" is supposed to be part of traditional training, one of the three jewels of Chinese kung fu. In civilian life, unless you are hungry, deprived, or depraved, there isn't much to spur you into honing a killer mindset. Training "kill" techniques doesn't necessarily also develop your mentality to kill, or even to defend yourself aggressively.
    Jing, Qi and Shen are 3 treasures from the Daoist perspective. Philosophically speaking they are metaphysical entities. Kung Fu adopted them along with Daoist meditation techniques. So technically, when taking about worldly matters such as killing, it's Xin (mind or heart). In terms of human nature, Xin is the substance, Yi (intent) is the function of Xin. So Sha Xin is the idea of killing. The intention or the concept (leading to action) of killing is Sha Yi. The idea of Kung Fu or martial arts for that matter as a tool for self perfection not necessarily self preservation is to transcend human nature to human being. One doesn't need to develop mentality to kill. It has always been within human nature to kill. It is a matter of the trigger. But as human being, it is not logical or reasonable to kill in most circumstances. The idea of training Kung Fu is to subdue that very aspect of human nature at the very least.

With that in mind, are there any other methods you can use to help instill 'intent' into your practice?
    Simply put, return to human nature. But then that's devolution not evolution. It's a choice between becoming animal or being human. So...

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Everyone knows BJJ is only good for one on one. This would make it almost useless to military combat training. Something like Philipino KunTao would be more suited.

Quote Originally Posted by greendragon View Post
    Everyone knows BJJ is only good for one on one. This would make it almost useless to military combat training. Something like Philipino KunTao would be more suited.
    Correct, luckly the US Army and its divisions like the rangers, special forces and such, as well as the marines and navy spec ops, aren't really into military combat training so its just fine for them.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Correct, luckly the US Army and its divisions like the rangers, special forces and such, as well as the marines and navy spec ops, aren't really into military combat training so its just fine for them.
    Now, all you gotta do is tell the truth about how you REALLY got signed up because that ever-so-friendly Recruiter was able to convince you that you were gonna get "Snooper" training.

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    Now, all you gotta do is tell the truth about how you REALLY got signed up because that ever-so-friendly Recruiter was able to convince you that you were gonna get "Snooper" training.

You know...tell some people a secret and it seems that the word "secret" loses all meaning !

You know...tell some people a secret and it seems that the word "secret" loses all meaning !
    The Beatles
    "Listen,
    Do you want to know a secret?,
    Do you promise not to tell?, whoa oh, oh."

Do you think that, in this newer world ("AB" or "After Beatles"), this means that the idea of a "close friendship" probably needs to be redefined when we're talking about the fellow "right next door"? (in the next country over)

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    The Beatles
    "Listen,
    Do you want to know a secret?,
    Do you promise not to tell?, whoa oh, oh."

Do you think that, in this newer world ("AB" or "After Beatles"), this means that the idea of a "close friendship" probably needs to be redefined when we're talking about the fellow "right next door"? (in the next country over)
    Actually, the internet has made our neighbourhood a lot closer, with all the good and bad that comes with that.
    Sure we have the no-name a-holes that try to ruin it for everyone, but more often than not, here we are thousands of miles away, exchange views and ideas and building a friendship of sorts.
    Way cool.

Actually, the internet has made our neighbourhood a lot closer, with all the good and bad that comes with that.
    [stickler mode=OFF]
    In the name of "international friendship", I will refrain (for a change) from offering a "better phrased" version of what you wrote.
    [/stickler mode=ON]

Sure we have the no-name a-holes that try to ruin it for everyone, but more often than not, here we are thousands of miles away, exchange views and ideas and building a friendship of sorts.
    Way cool.
    Yah... some of 'em have emerged on that new board.
    Definitely cool... and agreeably so, at that.

[stickler mode=OFF]
    In the name of "international friendship", I will refrain (for a change) from offering a "better phrased" version of what you wrote.
    [/stickler mode=ON]
    LOL, grazie !

LOL, grazie !
    Youse is welcome!
    (although being a "creature of habit" (not all of which are "socially acceptable") I will not endeavor to make any promises for the future)

Training a wrestling system (eg: JJ) as part of military training is an ancient and well-thought-out approach.

It's based on the assumption that the worst position to be in on the battlefield is on your back. Very easy to be shot, stabbed or stepped on from that position.

PS: Just put that book on hold, going to give it a read. Already getting funny looks from my co-workers.
    Last edited by SimonM; 07-25-2008 at 07:29 AM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Training a wrestling system (eg: JJ) as part of military training is an ancient and well-thought-out approach.

It's based on the assumption that the worst position to be in on the battlefield is on your back. Very easy to be shot, stabbed or stepped on from that position.

PS: Just put that book on hold, going to give it a read. Already getting funny looks from my co-workers.
    I would argue that the worse possible place is on the ground with your BACK to the enemy (turtle), at least on your back you can see and defend.