Thread: HEY! I'm in IKF!!!

HEY! I'm in IKF!!!

I've been debating about posting this, but since PHILBERT just busted me for my past indiscretions with Klingon martial arts, IKF just ran a piece in there Feb 2005 issue about it. The author, Jason McNeil, who Kung Fu Tai Chi readers will remember for writing some interesting letters to us about our Lou Reed issue fishes for a conclusion at the end and uses the forward I wrote under my Shaolin disciple name, Xing Long. He's kind about it, calling me "illustrious" and ""no less an authority" but in all truth, I wrote that because I was feeling a little guilty about how much money they paid me to lay out their cover, so I through that forward in for free. I hope he realises it's me he's quoting since he talks to my old Sifu, Wing Lam and the author of the book, Chet Braun, and they were both accomplices in that work.

It's nice to know I'm still well thought of in competiting publications.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Haha, can I send you my copy and get it autographed?
    I have a signature.

Traitor

hand me my sword.

I meant the book, not the magazine.
    I have a signature.

I meant Gene not Philbert

do you wish to face the wrath of the sword as well!!!

I read that arcticle in IKF this morning while I was on the cr@pper, kinda odd.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

How fitting PangQuan, how fitting...

What can I say? I didn't ask to be quoted. In fact, I didn't even know about it until I read the article. I'm pretty amused by it though. The whole Klingon thing was a great prank on the martial world - the author might have been serious, but my involvement certainly was tongue-in-cheek, and to see IKF cover it as a serious article, well, it makes me happy.

BTW, I just got the March 2005 BB and there's an article by McNeil - it's his coverage of the 2002 Taiwan Martial Arts Media Tour - the same event that Gigi covered in our magazine way back in in our MAR APR 2003 issue. You'll even see two of the exact same shots (from the slightly different angle of Gigi's camera vs. McNeil's camera) - compare the photos of Masters Adam Hsu and Chen Chin-ti. To BB's credit, they're full color now, the first MA mag to be able to afford full color. But again, to think that our story came out TWO YEARS ahead of theirs, well, it makes me happy too.

PHILBERT: I'm always happy to give out autographs. If only my fan base were adoring nacho ninjettes and not KFM moderators...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

meh, it may raise the value of the book if it has the autograph of one of the guys who helped with it.*

*we all know of course it probably wouldn't
    I have a signature.

how many chicks does ikf have?

Originally posted by MoreMisfortune
    how many chicks does ikf have?
    not amny with you and philbert.....and me of course
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

They have their regular "profiles" section

That month featured "Janessa Butts." Honestly.

Come on now, for those of you that read IKF, admit it, you turn to the profiles section first. They should expand that to a centerfold. There's an Italian martial arts mag that used to do that and I gotta admit, it worked.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Once in a blue moon I pick up an issue of IKF, look on the cover to see what it features, then table of contents and then flip to those specific pages. I can't stand reading the magazine, or turning page after page. I feel braincells screaming out as they die.
    I have a signature.

Funnily enough, I read IKF in the can
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Talking

I read IKF on a plane once. I had just gotten that months KFM a week before and had nothing else to read on the flight from Hamilton to Edmonton. It had a pretentious article on "the system" and a BASIC article on bridge hands or something like that and that was about it.... I can't remember the rest of the issue. Then the next one I saw had Catwoman on the cover so I didn't bother to buy it - looked like crap!
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

We had to turn down Catwoman...

Halle Berry was calling me and calling me. She said she'd do anything to be on our cover. But I had to refuse because she was doing some Capoeira not Chinese MA. Or at least, her CGI stunt double was...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips