Thread: WC from Macau

WC from Macau

http://www.tamart.org/

May be NTC can help translate the contents

The master here Mr Tam fought the Thai's in the 80's. You may find some photos of the matches. Tam is a student of HKM. I am sure Joy and NTC can tell us more.

The web site has short clips of knife, pole, dummy (empty hand) and ChiSau. Enjoy!

YYLEE- thanks much for the site. Rnjoyed the English version- but I couldnt read the Chinese version.I posted a reply here but it disappeared in cyberspace as I punched the wrong button.

Maybe NTC can say more.

Tam definitely studied with Ho Kam Ming though now he is on his own. Master Ho has trained both fighters and regular practitioners with additional fighting conditioning for the fighters.

Tam has been successful against Thai boxing. Several of Ho's students have been. And against other kinds of full contact fighters too. Not all wing chun people are on the same page, or read the mags. or join chat lists. Tam is one example. Nice pics of Tam catching a Thai with straight punch, also controllinga kick and elbowing.

Lui Ming Fai who teaches in Ho's old school in Macau is another.

Many of these Chinese guys dont read IKf or KF, are not on chat lists. Dont waste timewith net chit chat.There are different worlds.

When the HK martial art association was being started IM was approached- since the mainland folks questioned HK skills. IM directed folks to Ho Kam Ming who fieldeda team for HK which won.

Sifu Fong was one of Ho's students in the first wave and has had real fighting experience including MT.

As Tam's pics show MT is the only style with elbows. Good wc has lots of very close quarters elbow work..some with short power.

Buddy Wu another Ho student- in Cleveland knows some of the Ho fighters in the late 70s and 80s after the Fong era...
    sorry no proofreading- gotta fix food for mom.
    Last edited by Vajramusti; 11-04-2004 at 05:19 AM.

Joy,

Your info is right to the point. The Macau school now is primarily being taught by both Tam and Lui... (splitting up the time and students). The classes are still being taught on the 5th floor of the same building where the association has always been and where we all learned. However, the school featured in the pictures are not of Sifu Ho's school.

Your description of the history of the school is also right on the money. We have a long history of being called upon by both the Macau and Hong Kong martial arts association to compete in international fighting tournaments as representatives, and have a long proud record in those events. And yes, Augustine was one of the top fighters in the school when he was there.

Here in the US, in addition to Augustine and Buddy Wu, Randy Li and Rene Ng are also amongst Ho's original Macau students who are teaching in public. I believe there are five other brothers who are based in the LA area, but I am not sure that they are taking on students or if they are even teaching these days.

Regarding the website content, nothing special in there. Same old, same old, like all others.... About WC, the 1st 2nd and 3rd forms, etc. etc. etc. Look at the pics and you will be able to guess the content. However, there are video clips of the staff, knives, and chi sau on the site, in addition to some pics of the Thai fight.

Hope you all had a good halloween
    Last edited by ntc; 11-04-2004 at 03:36 PM.
    The more you know, the more you find you don't know...