Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin-Do would choke Royce out

Shaolin-Do would choke Royce out

ALRIGHT FOLKS, I finally did it. I finally went to the Shaolin-Do school in my area to watch. This is going to be a 2 part post, covering Monday and then Wednesday. The first post is Monday. Second will be Wednesday.

I just attended a Shaolin-Do school this evening to observe how they train. I never held Shaolin-Do in high regard, mainly being a bias because of there shady history (Insert Chewbacca reference here). However, being that I took a month off of Wing Chun do to college, I decided to attend the class tonight to see how they train.

The best thing there was the jailbait hot blonde with the flat stomach who is still in high school. BTW, I'm 20.

Now for the stuff I saw in ONE hour (I arrived over a half hour after class began).

I saw a Baguazhang form, 2 Monkey forms including one with ground fighting, a Drunken form, some other hand forms I have no idea what they were, a Sai form, a Staff form, and 2 sword forms.

Baguazhang form: Not being a practioner of Baguazhang, I shouldn't disect the form. However, this stuff sucked big time. One guy had his hand backwards from the other guy doing the form. The walking the circle was way off, there was no "rooting" to the ground, and the footwork was just **** poor. The instructor said that usually by the time you hit black belt, you should have 1/3 of the Baguazhang form, then by 2nd black, another 1/3. Well one guy was gonna be testing for his blackbelt in 4 months, and I can tell you he has alot of work to do. But he was the one who had his hands right, but he still was sucky in the footwork.

Monkey form 1: This is the one with the ground fighting. Lot's of rolling, jumping, etc. Had some Fukien Ground Boxing in it as well. Somewhat impressed for at least having a little ground fighting, however the fighting was against a standing opponent and not a grappler.

Monkey form 2: All standing. Somewhat impressive, at least by flashiness. He said it wasn't True Monkey Kung Fu (what is in there system?) but something called White Monkey. Also, you have to learn the 8 Drunken Immortals before you learn Monkey.

Drunken form: He said that there weren't alot of application to this form. So whats the point? A form is to show applications and train you. Not to look pretty. 2 of the guys doing it were mediocre, but the instructor seemed to be really into it.

Sword form 1: I swear to God, twice in the form they stopped and held the arms up as if they were about to scream "I HAVE THE POWER!"

Sword form 2: I think this was funnier than the first one. The guys looked like they were doing the tango with the sword, it was upside down and they held it like you hold a female when dancing. Also, several times they would grab there own blade, and even throw the sword in the air and catch it after it twirled.

Staff form: Very Chinese/Japanese hybrid with more Chinese. There was alot of more jabbing that is seen more in Chinese styles, then they'd quickly slide the hands down and swing it to hit with both ends of the staff like you'd see in more Japanese forms.

Sai form: Can we say Karate? He said after class there was a Sai in China that one tong bent backwards and went down the arm and wrapped around it. Um...sounds cool? But they guy kept doing the handle hits seen in Karate, where you chamber the strikes while leaning forward. Again looked like a Japanese/Chinese hybrid with much more Japanese to it.

I know I saw more forms, but watching these guys and gals do 12 forms in 60 minutes really just messes with the brain and they kind of clump together.

The instructor said he has over a dozen years of Shuai Chiao training. If he does, wtf is he doing in Shaolin-Do? He seemed pretty cool and might have an idea how to fight (especially involving throws), but put him against a good grappler and I think he'd get owned. His students sure as hell would. There were 2 brown belts there, one who was testing in a few months. The jailbait girl didn't even have a belt on.

Jailbait girl also was doing her stuff all wrong and the insturcot wasn't doing alot to correct it. The guy formed a Leopad Palm and called it the Tiger Palm. I wanted to scream out "Bullcrap! That's a Leopad Palm! This is a Tiger Palm!" and show him. The girl would do the "Tiger" Palm strike and lean formward, but the thing was, her lead leg would be locked out so she leaned all wrong. She needed to be corrected on this and I really wanted to say "Bend that front leg and sink down into it" even though I never did Hung Gar or Shaolin or something that leads like that. I just know though. Then she pulled out one of the broadswords and walked across the school, dragging it along the ground and sort of did a form, but did it all wrong, which was when they did there form. When she threw a round kick, the leg would be extended from the moment it was thrown, and not wait until it was there to finish it. It was also locked out, and she struck more with the SIDE of her ankle and not her foot. Meaning she didn't turn the hip.

When they did the applications, they'd throw fists that would NEVER hit you. One guy threw one at the other man's stomach and when his arm extended fully, he was about 5 inches from his partner's body, who THEN would do the technique. Or they'd throw a fist, and you would do say a side block so it misses your head. However when they threw the punch, it would already go past your head, so all you did was just raise an arm and not even have to strike.

They did knife fighting and the instructor commented on how they tend to kill one another at the same time. Jesus, that's what I wanna go do. Get in a knife fight and slash my attacker, then get slashed too. Hey, I die, but at least he does too right?

He said they do alot of throws as well, due to his Shuai Chiao training and when they go to tournaments (which I think Shaolin-Do only does Shaolin-Do tournaments? Can we say ATA?) that they'll throw the opponents around and people are all like "Oh that must be such and such's school". Of course I did my best to be impressed.

Another thing that caught me is the guy didn't ask if I ever did martial arts before. Every time I visit a school, it's one of the first questions asked. I was debating to say no training, TKD or 2 and a half years Wing Chun. I decided to say Wing Chun if he asked. He never did.

He also said his school focuses alot on application and little on forms, while some other schools have very pretty forms, but suck at fighting. When I walked in, I saw alot of forms.

So all in all it was pretty crummy. I can now safely say that I think Shaolin-Do is not great, and rather pretty crappy and can't get the "Oh, you've never been there so don't judge it!" from Shaolin-Do students. I've now seen it first hand.

In the end, I paid more attention to the students. After all, if you want to know how good an instructor is, look at his students. And the 2 brown belts sucked.

The instructor invited me back Wednesday, which I will probably attend just to look at the hot blonde again. Since she seems to be new, her and I will probably train there together. I just wanna have the chance to flirt with her, and find out if she is 16, 17 or 18. And try Shaolin-Do first hand. But mainly the blonde.
    I have a signature.

Well given that today is Wednesday, does that mean we're waiting on the Wednesday part now?

Good review, btw.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Thumbs up

sounds legal to me..
    well at least in my country
    if you said 14 i'd have been worried though.
    congrats on trying to be objective , looking forward to hearing the part 2

yeah and
    what iron fist just said as well

Interesting to hear from someone who has visited an SD school. I was planning to visit the school that opened in Australia when I was last in the area but unfortunately didn't have time.

With respect to the sai, I know at least one Chinese art that has it. While the form flows a lot more than your 'typical karate kata' a lot of the techniques are similar - after all, how many different things can you do with a sai?
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Tonight I returned to the Shaolin-Do class, this time to try a free class and see how it is.

JAIL BAIT WASN'T THERE! NOOOOOOOO!!!

So it already started off bad.

Now, after we did the bow in, we did your basic leg stretches, totally avoiding upper body. Then we got together to do some pad work. The 2 brown belts from Monday got together, and I got with the instructor. BTW, I think he is a 2nd degree black belt.

First thing we did was a straight thrusting kick. When he delievered the kick with his rear leg, he seemed to have some power, however his front leg wasn't all that strong. I looked over at the brown belts and saw them doing the exercise, but kicking with the BALL of the foot, and not the heel, so if they put power in it, they could damage the foot. I then got to throw the kick. Now, being Wing Chun, I have an understanding on how to throw a thrusting kick right? Well, on several occasions, I managed to push the instructor back using my FRONT foot with the amount of power he used with his back foot. When I threw it with my back foot, I was knocking him back several steps. I chalked it up to the fact it is one of the primary kicks of Wing Chun, so I use it alot.

Next we did a kick that I've never seen before. It is similar to a cresent kick, but it only goes up to about the waste. It is designed for groin shots, but it comes somewhat at an angle. Being I've never done this kick before, I totally sucked at it. The instructor however had some power to it. He said one of his brown belts was really good with this kick. The kick would be deployed if your opponent were standing somewhat at an angle, and was not a front snap kick.

Then we did some hand techniques. One technique was a palm strike towards the midsection. Similar to the palm strike delievered in SLT (After the Tan Jum Gwat Lau), except he liked to use a vertical palm and it wasn't carried through, it was a snap action. This technique however was VERY choreographed, and it often took him several seconds to prepare it. While watching, I thought "If you did this in an actual fight, it would take forever and be uselss". But he delievered some power behind it, designed to hurt you internally. And I could feel it through the pads. However, when I did it, I perfered to do it like it is done in SLT towards the midsection. I did not require any form of choreograph preporation. While my strikes were not pushing him back like his were, mine pretty much felt like they were delievering an effection assault.

Next we did the one/two punch. This guy has a wicked right cross. In fact his right hand was strong even when it was leading with a jab. His left cross was no where near as tough as his right cross. When I did it, I was pretty much just throwing boxing jab/cross attacks. Nothing special here on my part.

Finally we did the "one inch punch" type move. Instead he would punch using the first 2 knuckles, and would put some weight into it to "propell" him. It wasn't THE one inch punch, but it is designed to help create the power in a short distance, just like the one inch punch. I perfered doing it the Wing Tsun way I learned along time ago, and was getting the same results as him without throwing my body behind it. Still, he had some power in this punch.

Then we broke off and he began teaching me something from Mantis. Supposedly it is only taught to instructors, but it helps teach students not to do 1 step sparring, but would lead with 3, 4 or 5, etc type moves in a row. It consisted of a backfist attack to the head, which I blocked using a tan sau, then he moved my hand and thrust a vertical biu tze towards my face, which I blocked with a bong sau, then he moved the bong sau and thrust a right hook/hammer punch to my temple which I blocked with a pak sau, then finally a palm strike to my forehead which I blocked with another bong sau. The brown belts were running around the room doing this one, but kept contact at all times. There were 7 moves in all, but he only showed 4.

Then he showed me some techniques, open sparring. The first consisted of a jab, but was done upside down, so the back of my fist faced the ground. I struck with the first 2 knuckles. I would then come back into a cat stance as if to retreat, throw 2 punches at the same time plus a kick. Then I would do a side kick THEN a straight kick without putting my foot down, close in with the upside down jab. Finally I did a sweeping motion to a leg, followed by a side kick. I did this for a few minutes while they did Baguazhang.

Last thing he showed me was something from a form. VERY Karate looking, but instead of block/punch, you blocked and punched at the same time. Supposedly this "blows peoples minds away" because people aren't use to doing both at the same time. Coming from a Wing Tsun background, I knew what I was doing. I started in a bow stance with my right leg out and left fist. I then brought the left fist back into an overhead block while punching with the right fist. Then I stood back into some other stance, and put my arms in front of my chest as if to block a round kick. Some more weird stuff, but I kept going forward on this. It reminded me of Karate, but I was leaning forward. He said that a Karate master originally taught he students how to block then punch at the same time, because they couldn't get both to work at once. He then died before he taught them both, and no one bothered putting it back together.

Finally we did some stretches for the hip flexors, bowed and called it a night.

Now, for the Baguazhang. I watched the 3 of them do Baguazhang. The 2 brown belts looked like they were watching a home study course on Baguazhang, lacked rooting, and I don't even study Baguazhang but I could see it was poor. The instructor seemed to have a much better grasp, but even then he came off as maybe a 1-2 year student of Baguazhang would have. How much application he had was beyond me. But the movement itself was very smooth and solid, and very well rooted. I am sure a Baguazhang practioner would notice more errors in it, but being as I don't study it, I couldn't judge him very thoroughly. His students however I could see some major errors in. It honestly looked like they had just watched a Baguazhang tape, and were trying to follow the movements.

Over all the school was definately BETTER than I expected. He didn't go into saying how Shaolin-Do is the best, there was absolutely NO pressure to join, and he was a very polite man. I left feeling his brown belt students were not that good. Both were students of 3 years and the other 3 and a half (him being the one to test soon). The instructor seemed to be able to maybe fair well if in a street confrontation. He knew that people don't go into bow stances and horse stances, etc. He said that they are just used to train the legs and what not, but not to fight in. However, you know the saying if you want to look at how good a teacher is, look to the students? Well, his students were lacking big time in what I saw Monday and tonight. They sure should not be as far as a brown belt in my opinion if they can not even throw a decent front kick.

Would I join this school? Probably not. I would want an instructor who picks away at the things, instead of giving me my belt. These guys looked like they were just handed a belt each time they tested and weren't really taught that the stuff they were doing was inccorect.

I know some people here say it is Karate or Kempo, maybe it is. I don't do Karate or Kempo, but it didn't resemble any Karate I've seen. Some of it probably can work on the street, only if you have the instructor who will show you when you mess up. This guy didn't seem to be doing that.

Over all I rate the system higher than what I originally expected. I certainly can't judge the system off of one school, just like I can't judge Wing Chun off the God awful Wing Chun school I visited last year. But this school could be better if the teacher would correct his students more often.
    Last edited by PHILBERT; 05-26-2004 at 09:37 PM.
    I have a signature.

again,
    much props for actually going to visit the school and share your experience about this much contested and debated topic of the validity of this style we all "love to hate."

too bad about the chic though

would be cool to have some sd ppl comment on it now.

Philbert, first off thanks for giving what I think is a fairly unbiased opinion. At least as unbiased as someone who says, "Over all I rate the system higher than what I originally expected."

Seriously though...it blows me away that the brown belts are being shown bagua? You usually start on it at black...I've heard lots of folks say, "Just get the movements down for now (meaning first black), and work on perfecting it from then on...you'll might start "getting it" by 3rd black." Maybe that's just an attitude in my region or something? Brown belt, for me, was WAY too busy a time to have extra forms. And, for most SD students at my school, bagua is pretty difficult to learn. I'm not criticizing the instructor, by the way. Lots of different things get taught out in seminars...and/or I guess it might be a decent idea to let your students get a head-start on something that you figure will take a lot of work. Just giving you a heads-up that it's not typical for brown belts to be working on bagua...

Just curious, how was the sparring?

With respect,

Radhnoti
    Keep it simple, stupid.

I have more respect towards the art now, that much I can give. Wheather or not it has authentic Shaolin, and if so how much, I can not give. I also can not say how efficient it would be against say a CLF guy who was a high school wrestler or something.

I had questions for him, such as why Baguzhang, which is founded on Taoist principles if I recall, is used in Shaolin-Do, which is founded on Buddhist principles. But I didn't feel like really getting into it. I wasn't there to discuss, but rather to see the stuff. I only wish I had taken Kempo all those years ago before I moved instead of TKD. Then I might have the ability to see if it is similar.

I also chose to wait until tonight after class to post this. I have no intention of ever returning to train there, but I do not know if the instructor there or maybe a student comes here and is a lurker and does not post. If he were to of seen this before tonight, then he might look at me funny if I appeared in there. So I chose to wait until I was done, that way to be sure I don't return and be turned away or something.

One last question towards the Shaolin people/internal guys. Bodiharma taught the Shaolin monks the Yi Jin Jing as well as Xi Sui Jing exercises, how many movements are there total? I know the Yi Jin Jing has only a handful of movements and can be done in about 10-15 minutes. However, I forgot to mention we did some Qi Gong exercises tonight, and he said they were taught by Bodiharma, and consist of 49 exercises that take 49 breaths per exercise and can be done in around 8 hours. How can this be?
    I have a signature.

Radhnoti, sorry there, I was typing my last post when you replied.

The instructor did comment though that the Baguazhang is usually not taught that early. I don't know if I posted that in my original post since I typed it up Monday night, hence the major tone change between posts of "this stuff sucks" to "this stuff isn't bad". I do not know how long they were doing the Baguazhang, but it seemed the man who was testing soon had a better concept on it. I guess I didn't consider it though that the Baguazhang isn't taught early and it blanked from my mind.

Sadly we didn't do any sparring sparring. He showed me some techniques used in basic sparring. It seemed a mixture of Karate and Kung Fu really, as far as punches go, then foot work. I wish I could of geared up and tried my Wing Chun out against them to see how effective it is since both students have about 8 months to a year on me.

One thing the teacher did say though was he called them kata, and that they use the Japanese/Chinese interchangably because of the hiding of the art in Indonesia. He also commented that Grandmaster Sin The' jokingly said that it would be the next generations responsibility to change the words back to Chinese.
    I have a signature.

We call those the I Ching Ching.
    The early ones are like isometric exercises. There are some I've never seen anyone capable of doing, but I've heard JP say that his teacher and his teacher's brother are able to do the ones I thought were just an unattainable goal. I figured they were some kind of test of will/spirit with the side benefit of building your strength/flexibility/balance until I heard they could do them...

Edit: We posted around the same time. Thanks for answering my question. Sorry you didn't get to see any sparring. Goes to show the differences between schools, we end practically every class with sparring. Again, I greatly respect your actually going and checking it out. Let me know if I can try to clarify anything you're curious about...like names/terms or whatever.

Take care,

Radhnoti
    Last edited by Radhnoti; 05-26-2004 at 10:47 PM.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Originally posted by PHILBERT
    However, I forgot to mention we did some Qi Gong exercises tonight, and he said they were taught by Bodiharma, and consist of 49 exercises that take 49 breaths per exercise and can be done in around 8 hours. How can this be?

That's a long exercise.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Radhnoti, yeah, thats what he called it. I forgot what he said. The stuff I did was pretty simple, but there were 45 others I didn't see. The only one I couldn't do is because of my back. Other than the knife stuff I witnessed Monday, I didn't get to see any sparring. Wish I could of though.

Iron Fist, he said that students usually do them every morning 7 days a week, 7 per day. After all, 8 hours is nothing to a monk who has nothing else to do.

Edit:
    One critical thing I forgot to mention in either of my posts was the uniform. Neither the instructor OR the student wore a full gi type uniform, or went barefoot. The instructor was wearing all black, black gi pants, and the black belt with a black t-shirt that had a Shaolin-Do logo and on the back read Year of the Monkey. The students wore white pants, white shirts and the standard Judo/Karate/JJ/BJJ belts that you see. We trained in shoes as well, not slippers.

I have a really *strong* feeling that this instructor specializes in monkey stuff more. Like I commented earlier, they did 2 Monkey forms and 1 drunken form, and tonight he talked alot about drunken after class (as well as crane and stuff). Don't some schools have instructors who usually stick to one animal? Hence why some schools have like 4 or 5 teachers, that way a student has different animals to choose from once he/she had decided.
    Last edited by PHILBERT; 05-26-2004 at 11:22 PM.
    I have a signature.

this has gone on long enuff

shaolin-do is a bad fcuking joke. what a bunch of losers.
    Mack 10 just got out of court,
    rollin through tha hood in his super sport ropin Too $hort.
    Eighteens got tha rearview mirrors vibratin

so what kind of intensity was this anyway? how many reps of the jab/cross? kicks? any kind of physical workout (press ups etc)

from what you've said, it sounds pretty bad. forms mean jack. I can do a good kata or form or whatever, but it is by no means indicitive of my skill as a fighter. what physical condition were the higher ranks in?

You should of asked him when they do sparring and asked if you could have a go. thats where you'd learn the most about its effectiveness, even if it is your average shaolin do foot tag sparring.
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

Re: Shaolin-Do would choke Royce out

Baguazhang form: Not being a practioner of Baguazhang, I shouldn't disect the form. However, this stuff sucked big time. One guy had his hand backwards from the other guy doing the form. The walking the circle was way off, there was no "rooting" to the ground, and the footwork was just **** poor. The instructor said that usually by the time you hit black belt, you should have 1/3 of the Baguazhang form, then by 2nd black, another 1/3. Well one guy was gonna be testing for his blackbelt in 4 months, and I can tell you he has alot of work to do. But he was the one who had his hands right, but he still was sucky in the footwork.

I've seen different SD schools step differently during this form, and most of it has been what my teachers would call incorrect, but it's not my place to correct them. I will say that someone testing for black has enough on their plate to worry about BaGua. It's nice to introduce it to them so they can work on their circle walk, but expecting them to know 1/3 of the form by black is silly. Let them focus on the basics. Also you are supposed to know the entire form by the time you are 2nd black so I'm not sure what this teacher is talking about.

Monkey form 1: This is the one with the ground fighting. Lot's of rolling, jumping, etc. Had some Fukien Ground Boxing in it as well. Somewhat impressed for at least having a little ground fighting, however the fighting was against a standing opponent and not a grappler.

Monkey form 2: All standing. Somewhat impressive, at least by flashiness. He said it wasn't True Monkey Kung Fu (what is in there system?) but something called White Monkey. Also, you have to learn the 8 Drunken Immortals before you learn Monkey.

Don't know any monkey forms just some monkey training and the Hsing-Ie monkey from the 12 animals so I can't really comment.

Drunken form: He said that there weren't alot of application to this form. So whats the point? A form is to show applications and train you. Not to look pretty. 2 of the guys doing it were mediocre, but the instructor seemed to be really into it.

I agree if he doesn't know the applications, or thinks that the form doesn't have any, then he shouldn't be training in it. It was probably "Crazy Mad Drunk" which is full of good applications if you take the time to pull them out.

Sword form 1: I swear to God, twice in the form they stopped and held the arms up as if they were about to scream "I HAVE THE POWER!"

Sword form 2: I think this was funnier than the first one. The guys looked like they were doing the tango with the sword, it was upside down and they held it like you hold a female when dancing. Also, several times they would grab there own blade, and even throw the sword in the air and catch it after it twirled.

Dao or Jian? I only know one dao form and it doesn't pose like that. Heck, come to think of it the three Jian forms I know don't pose like that either so I'm not sure. If it was dao, they were probably doing drunken dao and Green Dragon Dao. I don't know these forms so I can't really comment on it unless I saw them doing it.

Staff form: Very Chinese/Japanese hybrid with more Chinese. There was alot of more jabbing that is seen more in Chinese styles, then they'd quickly slide the hands down and swing it to hit with both ends of the staff like you'd see in more Japanese forms.

Sounds like our form. See Kung Tao threads.

Sai form: Can we say Karate? He said after class there was a Sai in China that one tong bent backwards and went down the arm and wrapped around it. Um...sounds cool? But they guy kept doing the handle hits seen in Karate, where you chamber the strikes while leaning forward. Again looked like a Japanese/Chinese hybrid with much more Japanese to it.

Sounds like us. See Kung Tao and Sai in China threads.

He said they do alot of throws as well, due to his Shuai Chiao training and when they go to tournaments (which I think Shaolin-Do only does Shaolin-Do tournaments? Can we say ATA?)

Some do. We have an open tournament once a year.

He also said his school focuses alot on application and little on forms, while some other schools have very pretty forms, but suck at fighting. When I walked in, I saw alot of forms.

Yep. Most SD schools do more forms then applications. You can learn to fight and apply them, but you have to take the time. Some do and some don't, but they are there.

So all in all it was pretty crummy.
    Honest report Philbert. I wish I lived closer to Texas so I could train with you and the hot blonde!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.