Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ong Bak - dope ass thai action flick

Thumbs up Ong Bak - dope ass thai action flick

first of all I got this on cheapo vcd and it looks as good as a dvd. The opening scene they are climbing this tree trying to get a flag, some ceremony, and kicking each other off in order to get it. The muay thai stuff is brutal, but shows alot of spiritual side to. It looks a little like hung gar or something really. This movie looks alot like a Hong Kong action flick. There are lots of fights and gritty atmosphere. One thing I liked too is that it has a bunch of really blatant action movie cliches, like Chuck Norris type stuff. Don't miss it
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Last year called. It wants it's multiple threads back
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Tony Ja?

We have been discussing Ong Bak here for a while. A search will reveal several threads in the archive.

Ong Bak is clearly the most exciting MA film I've seen in years, especially in the post Matrix CGI era wee seem to be stuck in now. I understand that the lead guy has taken the 'western' name Tony Ja. Can anyone confirm this? It might not be stable, after all, we remember what happened with Michelle Yeoh/Khan. His real name is Phanom Yeerum, and that's a bit of a mouthful. Anyone know what Tony is doing next? He's got the juice, and I can't wait to see more.

I've been trying to acquire a legal version DVD with English subtitles for sale here . There is a bootleg out there available, but we aren't dealing in bootlegs.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

G, my thai friend said he read about the ong bak guy is starring in a new 'fight-movie', possible muay thai flavored like OB. I don't think it's from the same director though. (and that might be good considering they spent 4 years, 8 hours a day training the fight scenes for Ong Bak! Talk about perfectionism)
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

haha I had no idea sorry. It's relatively new in Chinatown I think.
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Kristoffer

Cool. Tap your Thai buddy to find out more. I think we all got our eyes on Tony Ja. He's the new rising star.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

im gonna post what i posted in another forum about this movie.

eh it was alrite. i never see someone use the knee as a move so muhc/. im Like KICK HIM KICK HIM KEEP DISTANCE! but nooo he would go in for the knee's. lol it was okay
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Re: Kristoffer

Originally posted by jun_erh
    haha I had no idea sorry. It's relatively new in Chinatown I think.
    I really hate people who posts ''last year called...'' I just wanted to try that, so, I'm sorry too

Originally posted by GeneChing
    Cool. Tap your Thai buddy to find out more. I think we all got our eyes on Tony Ja. He's the new rising star.
    Will do. I hope he stays away from all the wires and keep it like the old Jackie used too. (oh and that he stays long long away from Hollywood)

kristoffer- that's okay

Gene- I know we've butted heads about vcds but this one looks better than any you've seen

Anyone in Southern California, this weekend they are showing Ong Bak at Pacific Media Expo.

http://www.pacificmediaexpo.com/pmx/...aSchedule.html

Along with other HK, Japan, Korean movies. Should be good on the big screen.
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"

Wow, that looks like a great festival!

I heard that Luc Besson has the international distribution rights for Ong Bak. I've also heard two rumors about Tony Ja. 1. He is working on Ong Bak 2, but broke his leg in production. 2. He has another movie that just released in Thailand.
    I've also heard that he was the stunt double for Robin Shou in Mortal Kombat 2. Can anyone confirm any of this?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I just got Xanda. I've watched like half of it. it's produced by Tsui Hark and is of similar quality to Ong Bak. Alot of traditional vs combat issues similar to the ones on this board explored.

I watched the rest of Xanda today. It was good. san da withsome modern wushu and a even a little chen style weird ness thrown in for good measure. Not the monolith masterpiece of Ong Bok, but you'll want to see it. Plenty of fighting

Plenty of fighting.
    Well, that's what's most important.

Anybody got news on Lau Kar Leung's Drunken Monkey?
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

I know it's SHaw brothers cuz it's in that section of the store I go 'da.