Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooklyn Monk Article

Brooklyn Monk Article

Is the temple really THAT bad? In all of the terms he uses to describe I mean. He talks about how they scam him in so many ways and also how they are absolutely filthy. I understand why they may not want those photos to get out, because they would have every organization for public health down their necks. .. . or maybe they wouldn't. . . but anyways, I am totally shocked by that article. I had no idea it was THAT bad.

*edit* Which one was he at by the way?
    /////////////
    Benjamin

trademarking of culture for profit

Actually I'm not surprised. In the mad rush to
    re-invent tradtional Shaolin for profit this is all to be expected. See the articles below (my apologies for reposting them) but the trademark issue is all part of the big picture. On that note see more reactions to the attempt to trademark “shaolin wushu” in Canada http://www.shaolinwushu.com/articles I'll post the translations soon
    r.

September 25, 2002
    http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/20...5_103851.shtml

May 04, 2003
    http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/20...4_116214.shtml

March 13, 2003
    http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/20...3_113247.shtml
    Last edited by rik; 11-15-2003 at 09:39 PM.

Yes Very Shocking

A reason why Shaolin is in a trademark battle. The fraudulent activity is going on right underneath their noses and in their own back yard.

I am curious to know what the authors martial arts background was before training there. At the end of his "training package" did he really believe he would be a "lay monk" and added to the lineage or what?? Would his skills show that he "graduated"???

is it that bad?

it depends...

it's no walk in the park condition wise, if that's what you mean...if you have an idyllic vision of Shaolin Temple I can see how the article would be shocking.

To me, I think it was written too soon after the experience, but that is strictly an assumption on my part.

Is the temple that bad?

Like any sacred place, it's the surrounding locals who are corrupt. The temple has its problems, to be sure. Running a medieval temple in modern China is fraught with problems. But it's important to distinguish the private schools, run by private entrepenuers.

Hopefully, Antonio will post himself here - he's got more stuff in submission, like a piece about finding Kung Fu in Taiwan, which we are considering.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

shocking

Why did they go to insane lengths to get a couple of photos. They were going to beat him up. A kung fu brother that they trained with for months just over some photos.

They are animals
    its not the destination that is important it is the journey getting there

Re: Is the temple that bad?

Originally posted by GeneChing
    Hopefully, Antonio will post himself here - he's got more stuff in submission, like a piece about finding Kung Fu in Taiwan, which we are considering.
    It would be great to see more of his work in the ezine, although hopefully all the content isn't as depressing.
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

Yeah, though his story was sad, I thought it was pretty well written.

Dear Mr. Brooklyn Monk Pt. II Author:

I am calling BS on many parts of your article. Yes, the conditions in Shao-Lin can be tough. Yes, you might be larger and older than the students. No fooking way that you could even think of taking on a whole room full of 6 young Shao-Lin students and older teachers.

It does make a cute story, though.

Anxiously awaiting your B-movie and syndicated television series, I remain,

Contemptuously yours,

dimmakseminar

PS: Bullying and intimidating persons in another country that are attempting to help you learn that for which you came seeking, confirms your lack of personal ethics and low character traits. Good luck on the book deal, though.
    Last edited by dimmakseminar; 11-17-2003 at 09:36 PM.

OK man..

do you really have anything to say though.. other than just bashing the article.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Actually, last I heard...

... Antonio secured his book deal.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Yes, you might be larger and older than the students. No fooking way that you could even think of taking on a whole room full of 6 young Shao-Lin students and older teachers.
    I'd fight if they tried to forcebly take my photos too. But it didn't get too physical. I'd think if they'd actually tried to mug him and take his photos that way, it would've potentialy gotten them in quite a bit of trouble with the authorities if they found out.

PS: Bullying and intimidating persons in another country that are attempting to help you learn that for which you came seeking, confirms your lack of personal ethics and low character traits. Good luck on the book deal, though.
    I'd say calling someone a liar anonymously without giving any actual edvidence other than one irrelevant arguement shows a pretty big lack of character and ethics.

Dear Mr. Brad:

Although I don't have appropriate time to recite the entire dissertation you likely would expect on ethics and personal decorum, I will say that mine is only an opinion, which I am posting on a bulletin board that is in fact utilized to discuss opinions about topics related to kung fu. My position is only to question that which is presented as fact, since we have not had the opportunity to hear both positions. I am not the author of a published article potentially libelling an entire group of persons that are a) 8000 miles away, and b) likely have no idea that they are in potentially being libelled. I did not recieve a $50 or so submission fee for my article, nor am I ever likely to make any money off my opinion, unless Mr. Gene Ching decides to begin paying the subscribers to his site, in which case, my post count would more likely resemble yours than my own.

And besides, as the most wise Banky Edwards once said "That's what the internet is for; slandering others anonymously."

Innominately yours,

dimmakseminar

PS: Your own judgement of monks and cab drivers that you don't know, based on an article written by someone that you apparently don't know, has undeniable parallels to your questioning of me.
    http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...threadid=26657
    Last edited by dimmakseminar; 11-18-2003 at 08:30 PM.

My position is only to question that which is presented as fact, since we have not had the opportunity to hear both positions.
    Well, you are more than welcome to follow up on the article and present the other side of the story if you feel so strongly The FACT remains you've presented no edvidence or arguements to dispute his experiences yet use personal attacks against the author. If you were directing your attacks at the magazine I'd have no objections.

I am not the author of a published article potentially libelling
    To show that it is libel I'm pretty sure you have prove that he made this stuff up, and you have provided zero reason to believe so.

I will say that mine is only an opinion, which I am posting on a bulletin board that is in fact utilized to discuss opinions about topics related to kung fu.
    I never said that you weren't posting an opinion. Opinions are like *******s, everybody's got one

unless Mr. Gene Ching decides to begin paying the subscribers to his site, in which case, my post count would more likely resemble yours than my own.
    You know, you'd have more time to post and share opinions(and thus, have a higher post count) if you wouldn't waste so many words saying so little

Dear Mr. Brad:

You make excellent points! Libel can most effectively be defended by (in this case) the absent party. Given his position in the Shao-Lin community, perhaps the esteemed Mr. Gene Ching would be best qualified to ascertain the other side of the story in the interest of editorial objectivity.

Certainly you can choose maintain a closed mind in the matter, and choose to accept as fact everything that you read.

Thank you for the commentary on my diction and writing style. I prefer to spend 10 minutes perfecting 1 skill, as opposed to spending 1 minute withering each of 10.

Oppugningly yours,

dimmakseminar