Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knife fighting resource

knife fighting resource

Could someone point me to any good books or videos that they'd recommend that focuses on knife fighting? Thanks.
    ...don't think you are, know you are...

nice
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Cool, thanks for the link..
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

ShaolinTiger-

Yeah, that be the money, good choice.

Mmmmmmm......................Styers.

For video's there is Keating's stuff as well as Worden's. There is Hock's material plus a TON of kali stuff, everything from the krombit to the bolo, depends what you are looking for.
    Last edited by Black Jack; 10-15-2003 at 04:42 PM.
    Regards

Don't care much for Keating or Worden's stuff. Tho' I like Keating more than Worden.

Check out: Serak.com and Kuntaosilat.com

I am also impressed by the Sayoc Kali guys - though I have not met them, my Kuntao teacher has. Likes them lots.

Also search for Marc 'Animal' MacYoung.

Lameco Escrima also rocks from a training methodology stand point.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Don't care much for Keating or Worden's stuff. Tho' I like Keating more than Worden.
    Just wondering why?

For my limited knife fighting needs Hock fills the bill nicely.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I have met and trained with a Sayoc Kali teacher and some of my silat bro's play around with Sayoc kali as well. I don't know why I did not mention that art in specific. I guess I just lumped it in there with the other kali stuff.

I also like Keating much more than Wordern but I also really like Bowie stuff so that may be why. Hock's knife stuff is pretty good in the format that its laid out. It is really just stripped down Remy Presas arnis/balintawak and military combatives.

I have not seen the serak or Uncle Bill's Kun tao silat knife work but from the high praise I hear about both arts I would wager it is very good.
    Regards

Check out Scott Sonnons videos. Everone who owns large video collections say its one of the best (2 tape series)

http://www.rmax.tv/bayonet.html

He has posted a review from www.bladeforums.com

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...hreadid=193719

I own a couple tapes on knife fighting, Green Dragons single double edge knife, Paul Vunaks, a couple low level crappy ones and This one - Bayonet. Scotts will give you more guidance than the others, tons of information and very painful. You will not be dissapointed

What are all the differences between the different Kali and other FMA knife fighting styles? Is it more of a difference in teaching methology or are the actual techniques uniquely different? Also, if one were strapped for cash (like myself) and wanted to get _one_video or book to get started with, which one would you recommend? Thanks.
    ...don't think you are, know you are...

One cheap video? Paul Vunaks from Panther. Its old but pretty good.

But try to get the $99.00 for Scott Sonnons,

From the review
    "Tape A here doesn't really have new moves to learn but it explains a lot of the FMA, RMA, and Silat theories behind some common moves. You get a depth of explanation as to why you do or don't do a move.

This tape isn't for beginners and is pretty much gold for advanced folks particularly the Sayoc crowd. Knifecraft, Drawpoint, ABC, Systema, and Worden's Personal Knife series go well with Tape A
    Blauer's VIP Knife & Grappling tape, Maffei's Reality of Edged Weapons, and Latosa Escrima to a lesser extent."

He goes into coaching you instead of teaching you techniques. He throws a ton of techniques on drills out there, but states not to learn the techniques but the theory and understand how to use the knife.

This tape isn't for beginners and is pretty much gold for advanced folks particularly the Sayoc crowd. Knifecraft, Drawpoint, ABC, Systema, and Worden's Personal Knife series go well with Tape A
    Which is exactly the stuff I want to avoid. Maybe I'm a bear of little brain.. I want it SIMPLE. - ex- "kill or be killed", defendu etc..

fancy knifework reminds me of jkd. wonderful in idea, woeful in application.

if there was a time when simple, instinctive movementes, were ever needed, this would be the time..

check out paladin press and Mike Janich
    At a boy Luther!!!!

Old savate/zipota has some cool knife work in it as well.

ShaolinTiger- What....you mean....you don't want to try to memorize 8,000,000 different angles of attack??

K.I.S.S-Keep it Simple Savage.
    Regards

Exactly.

Show me 5 of 6 blocks or parries that I can use and let me drill them till I puke..