Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Four

The Four

Trailer 24.04.2012 四大名捕 先行版预告片

Wuxia Drama "The Four" Slated for Release in July
    2012-04-25 17:05:48 Chinese Films

Director Gordon Chan and Wang Changtian, CEO of Enlight Media, along with lead actors Deng Chao, Liu Yifei, Jiang Yiyan, Cheng Taishen, Bao Beier and Japanese actor Ryu Kohata, attended the event. [Photo: Mtime.com]

"The Four", produced by Enlight Media and considered one of the most highly-anticipated wuxia films in 2012, held a news conference in Beijing yesterday, Mtime.com reports.

Director Gordon Chan and Wang Changtian, CEO of Enlight Media, along with lead actors Deng Chao, Liu Yifei, Jiang Yiyan, Cheng Taishen, Bao Beier and Japanese actor Ryu Kohata, attended the event.

The first trailer for the film was unveiled, and it gave a glimpse of the four detectives' special skills.

Co-directed by Gordon Chan and Janet Chun and adapted from Wen Ruian's famous novel of the same name, "The Four" is Gordon Chan's first wuxia drama. His previous works such as "King of Beggars" and "Cat and Mouse" involved some wuxia elements, but this was obviously overshadowed by their comedic elements.

"I never shoot real wuxia films. In this field, my best teacher was Tsui Hark, and I don't dare get involved in this casually. I hope my teacher is able to see my efforts in this film," Chan said.

Wang Changtian, CEO of Enlight Media, and Gordon Chan announced together at the end of the conference that "The Four" is set to hit mainland screens on during the summer holiday slots on July 12, going up against Lu Chuan's costume war epic "The Last Supper" set to release on July 5.

Wang also stated that "The Four" is set to develop into a trilogy.

"I am crazy about wuxia. In negotiations with the novel's author, Wen Ruian, we intended to shoot a trilogy. As a result, the second and the third installments have started shooting before the first one's release."

By Liu Shuai
    Been wondering when we might see Crystal Liu in another wuxia.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Trailer with Crystal

"The Four" 60 sec trailer featuring Crystal Liu Yi Fei

With Anthony Wong and Collin Chou too.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

this reminds me of the andy seto comic book, the four constables...which was a really badass, kung fu comic book series about four constables(the leader being a cripple who was master of projectiles) it was short lived...but really freaking good.

This looks freaking cool, I always like adding a little of the supernatural to these flicks...can't wait. Now if we can add some Martial Arts Vampires...you would think Vampires would make for great Ninjas.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    This looks freaking cool, I always like adding a little of the supernatural to these flicks...can't wait. Now if we can add some Martial Arts Vampires...you would think Vampires would make for great Ninjas.
    its funny that you mention that, in highschool i did a mini comic for my final art project about a ninja vampire.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    its funny that you mention that, in highschool i did a mini comic for my final art project about a ninja vampire.
    Lucas you complete me.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Right...back OT

The character posters are up. I'm only posting Crystal's. Follow the link for the rest.

Character Posters Revealed for "The Four"
    2012-05-22 16:13:02 Chinese Films

The production company from "The Four" released a series of posters featuring characters in the film, Mtime.com reports.

"The Four", adapted from Wen Ruian's classic novel, is tagged as a supernatural wuxia film, a new area for this genre.

"The definition of supernatural wuxia is that the characters are equipped with supernatural power. At first, I feared that Wen Ruian would disagree with this idea. But he said yes and encouraged me to go ahead," director Gordan Chan said regarding this film.

The release date has been confirmed for July 12.

By Ma Sicong
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

New trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Pulsing Bathing scenes

What is it with Chinese flicks promoting with women bathing scenes? Not that I mind...

7 more pix if you follow the link, but this is the pick of the litter.
    Wait...pulsing?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    Lucas you complete me.
    lol i just saw this.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    What is it with Chinese flicks promoting with women bathing scenes? Not that I mind...

7 more pix if you follow the link, but this is the pick of the litter.

Wait...pulsing?
    Good times, good times
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Hh & l

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    lol i just saw this.
    You two should get a bath!*

*only funny in context of this post and then, only marginally so...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Yeah, I'll watch that one.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

A lackluster review

The Four 四大名捕
    Hong Kong/China
    Costume fantasy action
    2012, colour, 2.35:1, 117 mins

Directed by Gordon Chan (陳嘉上), Janet Chun (秦小珍)
    The Four

By Derek Elley

Thu, 19 July 2012, 16:50 PM (HKT)

Standard, rather old-fashioned, martial arts mystery generates no real drama. Asian and genre events.
    Story

A city in Ancient China. Six female martial artists, led by Penglai expert Ji Yaohua (Jiang Yiyan), report for duty to Department Six, a powerful state security organisation run by Lord Liu (Cheng Taishen). Yaohua and her group are assigned to Fourth Constable Han Long (Michael Tong) for a case involving a coin cast stolen from the Imperial Mint by Jia San (Tenky Tin). They surround Drunken Moon Inn where Jia San is arriving to sell the cast; but many other interested parties are also there that night and in the fighting and confusion Jia San escapes. Among those also present are professional debt collector Cui Lueshang (Ronald Cheng) and members of a secret investigative organisation, Divine Constabulary, which is personally sanctioned by a royal prince (Waise Lee) and outranks Department Six. Though the coin cast is recovered, Department Six takes over the running of the Imperial Mint and the Treasury Minister, Lord Xu (Zhang Songwen), is sacked. Following the death of Han Long, Yaohua is given his post, though she in fact secretly works for Lord An Shigeng (Wu Xiubo), a shipping magnate with special powers who is hatching a dastardly plan. Lord Liu suspends one of his constables, Leng Lingqi (Deng Chao), from duty for a breach of discipline but secretly tells him to infiltrate the Divine Constabulary, which he doesn't trust. Yaohua, who is attracted to Lingqi, overhears their conversation. Lingqi joins the small organisation, which is run by Zhuge Zhengwo (Anthony Wong) and includes crippled mind-reader Sheng Yayu (Crystal Liu) - whom Zhuge adopted after her family was killed - and martial artist Tie Youxia (Collin Chou). Meanwhile, Lueshang has also joined the group. Yayu is attracted to Lingqi, despite knowing his true character. Zhengwo tells his group that the case of the stolen cast is not over yet, and uncovers a scam involving forged currency that could lead to social unrest and bring down the royal family. It sets him and his group against both Department Six and the powerful An and his gang of spies.
    Review

Featuring characters from a continuing series of novels by Malaysian-born WOON Swee Oan 溫瑞安 that's formed the basis for numerous TV drama series in Hong Kong, Taiwan and China (starting with ATV's The Undercover Agents 四大名捕, 1984), The Four is a fairly standard martial arts costume drama that boasts good-looking production design but is let down by a poor script and ordinary direction. Shot in China with a pan-Chinese cast and largely Mainland money, it has the feel more of an '80s Hong Kong production, but not in a consciously retro style. As with Hong Kong veteran Gordon CHAN 陳嘉上's previous production, Mural 畫壁, also made with the same Mainland companies and writers, the content fails to live up to the handsome wrapping.

Like Mural, The Four can't really decide what it is. For those familiar with Woon's novels and/or the TV adaptations, the many characters don't need much explanation; but for anyone else, that's a big problem, as the script is so busy fitting in plot and keeping its large cast occupied that no one really develops any individual thrust. Hong Kong veteran Anthony WONG 黃秋生, as the dignified leader of a secret investigative bureau, makes the strongest impression, while his "four constables" (the meaning of the film's Chinese title) just go through the usual motions of martial arts heroes. Among them, Hong Kong comedian Ronald CHENG 鄭中基 (in a long wig) looks rather out of place and Taiwan's Collin CHOU 鄒兆龍 and Mainlander DENG Chao 鄧超 (both in Mural) don't develop much personality.

Mainland actress Crystal LIU 劉亦菲 (Love in Disguise 戀愛通告 (2010), A Chinese Ghost Story 倩女幽魂), who plays a wheel-chaired mind reader with telekinetic powers — a character who's actually male in the novels — is suitably mysterious but rather a blank page: her love-battle with JIANG Yiyan 江一燕's swordswoman over the affections of Deng's character hardly gets off the page. The more talented Jiang (Qiuxi 秋喜 (2009), I Phone You 愛封了) has her promising moments but is perpetually hamstrung by the script. Among the large cast, it's Mainland TV actor-singer WU Xiubo 吳秀波 (the murderer in People Mountain People Sea 人山人海) who's most memorable as the jokey, laidback villain of the piece.

Chan, this time co-directing with Hong Kong journeywoman Janet CHUN 秦小珍 (The Jade and the Pearl 翡翠明珠 (2010), All's Well, End's Well 2012 八星抱喜) rather than Danny KO 高林豹 (Mural, Painted Skin 畫皮 (2008)), throws everything into the pot: secret police organisations (but with no sense of menace), shape-shifting powers (but with only so-so effects), martial-arts action (nothing special, with TV-style wire-work), and nods to films like Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame 狄仁杰之通天帝國 (2010) (crime-solving) and My Own Swordsman 武林外傳 (the group's "family" scenes). The result isn't exactly boring — thanks to the crowded plot and cast — but just very average, with no real tension, drama or thrills.

Cyrus HO 何劍雄's imaginative sets — iron machinery contrasted with wooden constructs — maintain visual interest, as does the well-lit widescreen photography by fellow Hong Konger LAI Yiu-fai 黎耀輝 (Infernal Affairs 無間道 (2002), Wu Xia 武俠). Henry LAI 黎允文's score, as in 14 Blades 錦衣衛 (2010) and White Vengeance 鴻門宴傳奇, is weak.

The film is the first in an announced trilogy, the second of which has already begun shooting.
    I wonder what part 2 will be titled. The Five? 4.2?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips