Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise by Gene Yang

Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise by Gene Yang

I've read Yang's other works. He's very good at what he does.
    Graphic novelist attempts to return 'Last Airbender' to Asian roots
    Updated: 2011-12-02 11:18

By Kelly Chung Dawson (China Daily)

NEW YORK - When the movie adaptation of Nickelodeon's Avatar: The Last Airbender anime television series was released in 2010, many fans were disappointed that the Asian themes that had defined the original series had been toned down or in some cases, replaced entirely. But an upcoming graphic novel adaptation by Chinese American artist Gene Yang will attempt to stay true to the original series, which ran from 2005 to 2008 and included Asian lead characters in Asian cultures.

"When they adapted the series to the big screen, all the major hero characters were given to white actors," Yang said in an interview with China Daily. "I think that it's the latest in a long line of 'yellow-face casting.'"

He referred to a movie adaptation of the book 21, about real-life MIT students who had used math to "game the gambling system" in Las Vegas. The students in the book were Asian American, but the movie version of the book cast White actors in the lead roles.

"It's a fairly common thing," Yang said. "I think that Hollywood is afraid to put money behind Asian actresses and actors in lead roles. It seems to be a ridiculous thing to still be happening in 2011. With the Last Airbender, the cartoon series had enough of a fan following that it seems to me the movie would have had a fan base regardless of the race of the leading actors."

When the movie was released, the director M. Night Shyamalan (director of The Sixth Sense and Signs.) justified his decision to cast Caucasian actors because he felt the series was based on "world culture", Yang said. "But if you're familiar with the series and have a passing knowledge of Asian cultures, it was very apparent that the series was not a mishmash of world cultures; it was very Asian."

"That connection to real-world Asian cultures and Asian history has been there from the very beginning of the series," Yang said. In the original television show, the Japanese fire nation was defeated; the graphic novel will pick up where the series ended, exploring how the four nations move forward following the fire nation's defeat. Yang drew on Japanese post-WWII history for inspiration, he said.

Yang previously wrote the graphic novel American Born Chinese in 2006, which was nominated for a National Book Award and won the American Library Association's Printz Award. His 2009 collaboration with Derek Kirk Kim The Eternal Smile won an Eisner Award, and in June of this year he released a graphic novel titled Level Up.

Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise will be released in early 2012 through Dark Horse Comics, and is illustrated by Gurihiru Studios, a Japanese illustration team. He is co-writing the adaptation of Airbender with Mike Dimartino and Bryan Konietzko. In addition to his comic work, Yang teaches computer science at a high school in California.

Yang became involved in the project as the result of a Web comic he wrote in response to the movie adaptation, he said. The comic discussed his deep emotional attachment to the original cartoon series, and when Dark Horse comics bought the license to create a graphic novel adaptation, one of the editors contacted him after reading his Web comic.

"In a weird way, my eventual connection to the property is the result of my being angry about the movie," he said.

Most of Yang's books have featured Asian American characters, with American Born Chinese dealing most overtly with Asian American themes and storylines, he said.

"A theme in a lot of my other work has been the coming together and clash of cultures, or more specifically for me, the coming together and clash of Chinese and American cultures. Being an immigrant's kid, I've talked to a lot of people with parents from other countries, regardless of the country of origin and we've all struggled with this issue - how we take the country that surrounds us and the country of our parents and put it together and make sense of it. This is often particularly important to Asian Americans because many of our families are relatively new to the US. We're still in the middle of figuring out what it is to be Asian American, and how to meld those cultures together."

Yang was born and raised in California; his father was an engineer, his mother a programmer. He was a "typical Asian American kid growing up in Silicon Valley," he said, although in the early days there were only a handful of Chinese families in the neighborhood. Today, he estimates that 60 percent of the community is Asian.

As a teacher in Oakland today, he reports that there is less shame associated with immigrant cultures. "Even though most of my Chinese students speak perfect English, they're willing to speak Chinese to each other; they switch back and forth and it's not a big deal. When I was growing up, we wanted to define ourselves as separate from the FOBS (a slang word referring to recent immigrants being "Fresh Off the Boat"), whereas my students today don't seem to consider those distinctions to be important."

Changing perceptions about Asian culture are likely linked to the idea that "cool seems to follow the money," he said. "As China becomes more of a superpower, Chinese culture will have more of an influence on American culture. But it seems to me that it's not Asian culture that's the problem in America; it seems to be Asian faces. Hollywood is willing to have movies set in Asia featuring Asian culture, but the main protagonists are rarely Asian."

He acknowledged that movies like A Very Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas (co-starring the Chinese American actor John Cho) signal a slow shift in perceptions. "It is changing," he said.

The adaptation will hopefully be part of that shift, he said.

"For me personally, as a fan of the series, I see this graphic novel as a way of continuing the tradition that was established by the original creators with the original series. I think my primarily responsibility is to tell a story that's able to keep readers interested from beginning to end, but I'm also personally interested in Asian American identity and I'm staying true to the Asian roots."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Cool. Looking forward to it.

i always felt airbender combined china,india and africa...not just exclusively china...as ang was a nomadic airbender(although they lived in temples so how could they be nomads?) and i always looked at the airbenders as more indian, and the earth as more african, water as more like the inuits(even their skin tone and style of dress suggest it) and the fire as more chinese or even roman in terms of being a vast empire.

^Really? Why African for the Earth Nation? I mostly saw Korean and Ching Dynasty influences there. I could agree with the Inuit influences on the Southern Water Tribe, but the Northern Water Tribe seemed more Chinese with furs on than Inuit. They are a fairer skinned people than the Southern Tribe.

Air Nomads just seemed more Shaolin and Tibetan to me. Not Indian. More like generically Buddhist. The only character in the entire show that seemed Indian to me was the Guru.

Fire Nation was largely Imperial Chinese near as I can tell, with the exception of the Sun Warriors who have the who Aztec and Mayan thing going on.

It's really hilarious that race even became an issue regarding this property.

There were no races in the animation. Not white, not black, not asian, just people from a far away Avatar world...

The Aang character has an exotic look because of the person who inspired his look.
    (I and the creators of the series know who he was modeled on, i've been asked not to say too much about it.)

Later they drew characters modeled on friends and co-workers all in fun.

The RACEBENDING issue arose from a young talented Asian kid who'd auditioned for the part of Aang and maybe should have gotten it, but was he overlooked for whatever reason.

It's really funny because I remember a time when Avatar was just an idea. A few sketches in a notebook, a few words in a pitch bible. LMAO!
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    It's really hilarious that race even became an issue regarding this property.

There were no races in the animation. Not white, not black, not asian, just people from a far away Avatar world...

The Aang character has an exotic look because of the person who inspired his look.
    (I and the creators of the series know who he was modeled on, i've been asked not to say too much about it.)

Later they drew characters modeled on friends and co-workers all in fun.

The RACEBENDING issue arose from a young talented Asian kid who'd auditioned for the part of Aang and maybe should have gotten it, but was he overlooked for whatever reason.

It's really funny because I remember a time when Avatar was just an idea. A few sketches in a notebook, a few words in a pitch bible. LMAO!
    i remember reading somewhere that aang was modded after your son...no?

People want to apply their shit to someone else's work all the time.

I think it should be avatar world and have nothing to do with racial nonsense as espoused here in our world. I mean crap, it is intended by stories to escape the garbage we inflict upon ourselves in real life anyway.

It's not based on anything in this world for the simple fact that no one bends anything in that manner and no one controls elements in that manner and I don't care what you race creed or color is, you cannot and will not ever be a cartoon character with super powers in real life, ever, sorry. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

what jameson said.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    People want to apply their shit to someone else's work all the time.

I think it should be avatar world and have nothing to do with racial nonsense as espoused here in our world. I mean crap, it is intended by stories to escape the garbage we inflict upon ourselves in real life anyway.

It's not based on anything in this world for the simple fact that no one bends anything in that manner and no one controls elements in that manner and I don't care what you race creed or color is, you cannot and will not ever be a cartoon character with super powers in real life, ever, sorry. lol
    WELL SAID DJ!

Yup try as you might you'll never ever be a cartoon character
    Last edited by Lokhopkuen; 12-12-2011 at 02:54 PM.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Well, if you are gonna ride someone's nuts, riding your OWN is the way to go !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

As I recall, the casting call actually stated they were looking for white kids specifically for the principles.

It became a racial issue because so many saw East Asian influences dominant in the show and the culture of the characters and then to have East Asian actors basically taken completely out of the running or relegated to background roles was like a slap in the face to a whole hell of a lot of people.

NOOOOO!!!! the casting call DID NOT! i repeat DID NOT!! say that...i remember when this was going on, because i was getting emails of the break downs of what they were looking for..and i had friends who auditions and worked on the set...they did not say white kids....

If the studios spent one hundred fifty million to license and produce it they are entitled to cast whomever they feel. Personally I was hoping they'd get Prince to play Aang, Tupac and Janet Jackson as Sakka N Katara, Kristy Ally as Aappa with Gary Coleman as Fire lord Ozai. Did anyone listen to me I think not
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Well, casting aside. The movie itself was HORRIBLE.

Good one, lhk, but I beg to differ.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    If the studios spent one hundred fifty million to license and produce it they are entitled to cast whomever they feel. Personally I was hoping they'd get Prince to play Aang, Tupac and Janet Jackson as Sakka N Katara, Kristy Ally as Aappa with Gary Coleman as Fire lord Ozai. Did anyone listen to me I think not
    Too Short would have been a better Ozai than Coleman. And Rihanna for Katara all the way.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart