Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese sword guard design

Blog Entries

Chinese sword guard design

If we compare the following 2 different design of the sword guard, we can see a big difference there. The 1st one has guard that is curved backward. When your opponent's sword touches your guard, it will slide off. Your opponent cannot take advantage on that "contact point". The 2nd sword has guard that is curved upward. When your opponent's sword touch your guard, your opponent can use your upward curve guard as the leverage and then stab the tip of his sword into your body. Why people design sword guard like the 2nd sword that will give your opponent such advantage? What's your opinion on this?

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/7...rrectsword.jpg

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/7440/wrongsword.jpg

Interesting. Sort of along the lines of a difference between the bell guard on a foil versus the crosspiece on a long sword.

Really interested to see the responses.

i remember a disucussion about this i read once, a student of adam hsu mentioned that the guard angled back is generally for training purposes, i happen to own that training jian designed by adam hsu and it does indeed inform you of incorrect technique. now i dont know because this is all 'heresay' i dont know the man, but it seemed a reasonable explination. i cant remember where i read that discussion, it was not here.

im positive that is the adam hsu training sword, it is identical to mine

i would never be partial to letting a blade slide off my guard toward my wrist/arm tho, not if i were to actually sword fight. i would prefer a catch guard or a cross guard.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i would never be partial to letting a blade slide off my guard toward my wrist/arm tho, not if i were to actually sword fight. i would prefer a catch guard or a cross guard.
    My first inclination is the same, but I'd be curious to read other opinions. A bell guard allows the blade past. Obviously it has other defensive attributes, I'm just curious if others have views on this.

That said, I'm not as concerned about the opponent having blade contact at the crosspiece. Their leverage is not better in such a position, imo.

it wouldnt even ben an issue if you were wearing gauntlets that provided enough protection.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Go to the source

Read A Straight Talk about Straight Sword By Adam Hsu (2005 January/February: The Sword Collector's Special). He explains his theory behind his sword design.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

trust in gene go get all gansta on us and learn us up somethin good

i remember a disucussion about this i read once, a student of adam hsu mentioned that the guard angled back is generally for training purposes...

I've also heard the opposite: military style was angled back toward the hand and the "guard" was reversed for times of peace. I don't have any historical references for this but if you look at analogous western weapons you find that prongs on a dagger sometimes point forward because it is a shielding/ controlling weapon. On a sword the quillons are rarely made to this design.

The purpose of the "guard" is not to protect the hand so much as to bring the mass of the sword closer to the hand for better control. Considering the small guards on a jian/gim the only way to protect the hand is with technique.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Blog Entries
    i would prefer a catch guard or a cross guard.
    If the guard of your opponent's single edge Dao touches your sword guard, he can then use his other hand to press the back of his blade (with his body weight behind) and press his blade into your body. That's one of the most important skills used in Dao.

It's like "raise up curtain and enter". Since the curtain cannot move, your raise up arm should not move and only move your body. If you apply this principle into sword fighting, the moment that your Dao guard touches your opponent's sword guard, you move your body in and then push the blade of your Dao into your opponent's chest.

If your opponent's sword slides off your guard, your sword will have as much threaten as his sword does. You are not in and disadvantage position.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-09-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    Considering the small guards on a jian/gim the only way to protect the hand is with technique.
    This is an interesting point.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If the guard of your opponent's single edge Dao touches your sword guard, he can then use his other hand to press the back of his blade (with his body weight behind) and press his blade into your body. That's one of the most important skills used in Dao.

It's like "raise up curtain and enter". Since the curtain cannot move, your raise up arm should not move and only move your body. If you apply this principle into sword fighting, the moment that your Dao guard touches your opponent's sword guard, you move your body in and then push the blade of your Dao into your opponent's chest.

If your opponent's sword slides off your guard, your sword will have as much threaten as his sword does. You are not in and disadvantage position.
    good point

this might be shocking for you guys, but most chinese straightsword is all made up. straightsword went extinct over 400 years ago.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

im have been shocked and awed!

finger slicing in sword fighting is very unrealistic, like people who constantly talk about eye poking.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    this might be shocking for you guys, but most chinese straightsword is all made up. straightsword went extinct over 400 years ago.
    No shock. Thought it was common knowledge. It's a symbolic weapon largely but still good for expressing some kinds of skills.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity