Page 39 of 53 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin diet, vegetarianism and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by bigopen View Post
    http://www.shaolintemplecheshunt.com/#!food/c7z7

This is Matthew Ahmet who has a thread here's website - he is an advocate of veganism and has a little kitchen going at his training hall.

also note the mistakes underneath the pics -

"SHAOLIN SOUP

The best way to "Wow" your audence - Flexible packages to best suit your needs :-)"

Look at the recipe for those Shaolin noodles....he uses the instant noodles that are simply terrible for your health.

A little sad because there's so much delicious 烩面 in Henan.

Spot on, pazman

I remember having fresh hand-pulled noodles right outside Talin. It was in one of those little lean-to restaurants, if you could even call it a restaurant - a tarp across some bamboo, a chopping block, a wok, makeshift tables, and those tiny plastic gaudy hobbit chairs. I watched the chef pull noodles over the dirt and keep it totally clean. It was amazing - he had real gongfu - and so delicious. I'd take hand-pulled street noodles in China over instant noodles any day.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

hand pulled noodles is something I really want to try.

Not exactly Chinese cooked noodles (which I assume is the definition of huimian?), but, in NYC I always went to Rai Rai Ken for Pork Tonkotsu ramen. I doubt their noodles were hand pulled, but everything else was traditional; right down to the long-boil broth (if you've never had stock made from bones that was cooked for 24hrs or more, you have not lived (and if anyone is interested, hit me up; I've got a recipe for chicken stock I've used for years)).

Last year I got really interested in making my own hand pulled noodles and I managed to find a couple of recipes. I still have yet to do anything with it. Actually, I completely forgot up until right now!

D@mn, I think I saved the links on delicious (what a pun, considering the topic) but I'm not sure

I am reminded though of Nan Zhou's in Philly and they hand pull their noodles. I will have to go there soon. Maybe next month for my birthday
    Last edited by Kymus; 06-28-2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: stupid bleep censor can go bleep bleep in the bleep bleep bleep
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

We all got together and decided to cancel your birthday. Maybe next year bro.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Oh..... okay.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    We all got together and decided to cancel your birthday. Maybe next year bro.
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    lol

juzt cuz thatz sh!tz zo funniez itz backz onz!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

lol

juzt cuz thatz sh!tz zo funniez itz backz onz!

ur invited.... just don't bring that Bawang kid.... I heard he's a party menace.... don't tell him I told you either....... shhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Kymus...you sure you want to go there?

Do you have any idea what a Lucas party involves?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Do you have any idea what a Lucas party involves?
    Swords and hot chicks are cool, just no drugs, and no birthday punches. This is what I did to the last person that tried to give me birthday punches. That was 6 years ago.. can you imagine how bad @ss I am now that I've perfected my xiong mao chuan style?

in my first kungfu school if you let on it was your birthday you were in for some multiple attacker training. depending on your age one person would count and you had to defend yourself, or curl up in a ball, while everyone else all gang attacked you (mostly nice) for the duration of your age in seconds. super fun.

in my first kungfu school if you let on it was your birthday you were in for some multiple attacker training. depending on your age one person would count and you had to defend yourself, or curl up in a ball, while everyone else all gang attacked you (mostly nice) for the duration of your age in seconds. super fun.
    ha, that's awesome!

Speaking from USA standpoint (many countries don't have industrial scale food econom)

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Absolutely! Real science isn't going to support a vegan diet being better than a non-vegan diet. It is obvious what the real agenda is.
    IDK if "Real Science, Real Agenda" are attempts to condescend, but there's no standard established dietary need for meat. Not in this thread, nor in "Real Science"

Vitamin D is the only vegetarian-over-vegan claim commonly used, but usually only applies in special genetic situations (as Vit. D is in most fortified things, gotten from the sun, and in many mushrooms)

Vegetarian can be a compassionate step in a more ethical dietary direction, but this thread is majorly about any non-meat diets (Chan Buddhism in general doesn't require pure plant-based diet).

Predator and prey is natural. A house cat doesn't need to kill birds, but it does. Eating meat is in its' nature. People understand this...the hardline religion that disallows any animal death by man will never become mainstream...you must change tactics.
    AFAIK, that is false, cats do need meat/are carnivorous.

Humans are clearly not. Our nearest relatives eat a tiny, near insignificant fraction of diet from meat.

These are all still appeals to nature though.

An analogy....

Conservation in the '80's was often represented by militant, fringe preservationists. These people were often thought of as eco terrorists.
    They wanted no hunting, fishing or logging, complete preservation and man out of the forests. They staged rallies, protests and chained themselves to trees.

They had a tendency of turning the main stream public against them and only galvanized their opponents. Their tactics were a failure; and IMO did their cause more harm than good.
    Some say Martin Luther King Jr's successes wouldn't have been seen without Malcolm X also being part of the picture (moderation and extremism).

(Although your analogy has nothing to do with plant-based diets...)

So instead of trying to scare people into thinking they are going to die from eating meat,* wouldn't advocating better farming practices make much more sense?
    This is like- Long time ago I told gay-rights advocates they'd be better off arguing for "the legal benefits a marriage brings, instead of the title itself."

Basically, my intentions were good, but short sighted. I didn't understand it was more about principle than setting lower "pragmatic" goals.

IMO, ideally the "advocating for better farming practices" would also come from those who are buying the meat from those very farms (as well as from plant-based diet advocates).

After all their is far more people that agree with this than their are people who believe they are destroying the world, or are some sick, depraved psycho for eating chicken.
    I think your statement exemplifies another issue..

that plant-based-diet-advocates who include mention of ethical considerations are often portrayed as hidden-agenda-promoting 'scare-mongering-radicals with sociopathic tendencies.

EDIT: I think some people might be scared/unhappy of the mere possibility that they can't use healthy diet as an excuse for indulging in animal consumption.
    Last edited by Matthew; 07-25-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post

AFAIK, that is false, cats do need meat/are carnivorous.

Humans are clearly not. Our nearest relatives eat a tiny, near insignificant fraction of diet from meat.

These are all still appeals to nature though.

humans need meat. hippie vegans need to supplement diet with chemical pills and rare exotic plants. you are as natural as a bodybuilder.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-25-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

people are different. classical Chinese diet is almost all vegetables. mongol and eskimo diet is near 100% meat.

your ancestors come from the snowy caves of Europe, your natural diet is high in meat and fat.
    compare their longevities (no way to isolate for climactic conditions/other). Many modern Chinese are mongol hybrids anyway.

Both appeals to nature. I'm surprised you forgot earlier in the thread to add "WHat if you are stuck with no vegetables?! LOLOL"

EDIT: saw you changed your post. more appeals to nature "What is natural" take supplments, etc. Your meat is injected with B12 anyway.

(since we are using appeals to history/nature) if you want to be strong like a roman gladiator ,you might need a vegetarian diet
    Last edited by Matthew; 07-25-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    compare their longevities (no way to isolate for climactic conditions/other). Many modern Chinese are mongol hybrids anyway.

Both appeals to nature. I'm surprised you forgot earlier in the thread to add "WHat if you are stuck with no vegetables?! LOLOL"
    Chinese had no meat and lived short brutish lives. Okinawans have rich meat diet and are the longest lived people in the world.

Taoist hermits don't need to eat a lot of meat because all they do is sit on they ass. you don't need to eat a lot of meat because you are a privileged first worlder and all you do for a living is sit on your ass.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC