Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GZ Wingchun 12 movements set

GZ Wingchun 12 movements set

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlD7o..._order&list=UL

Gwong Zhau Wingchun 12 movements set put together in a form

I love the "Celestial" Masters choice of music

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    I love the "Celestial" Masters choice of music
    Thanks! The "Celestial Master" is only a pose in the Taoism system, "Tin Si", not to be too harsh on that~ it's kungfu what I present here only, haha! cheers! Love that upbeat vibe too~
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

Chi in Nature - My Taoism Temple Website
    Taoist Master BLOG - my blog

My Kungfu Channel on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by CYMac View Post
    Gwong Zhau Wingchun 12 movements set put together in a form
    When you say this do you mean you put this set together or you was taught this by your Sifu? Also, is the term Gwong Zhau a place or a person? (I presume it's the place)

An interesting set, similar to what others refer to as Kulo Sup Yee Sik
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Guangzhou Wing Chun is another name for Sum Nung's branch of Wing Chun.

An article on SN's Sup Yee San Sik on Rene's site: http://www.wingchunkuen.com/sumnung/...elveforms.html

Yes, Gwong Zhau Wingchun is same as Sum Nung Wingchun. Just a name. This set is supposed to be 12 separated techniques and I just chained it up in a set to show on video without pausing. Makes it more easy to keep track of things.
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

The off body side punch sequence looks like a pole striking drill....seems like a 'kata' ? ie bong> lop> backfist...
    BTW there is a cute woman who plays this music in the subways in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    The off body side punch sequence looks like a pole striking drill....seems like a 'kata' ? ie bong> lop> backfist...
    BTW there is a cute woman who plays this music in the subways in NYC.
    I think what you are referring to is the "Duk Lung Chui" (Single Dragon Fist), it's a punching method in GZ Wingchun. There are actually four main punches in the system. The three stars punch (straight), Side punch (turning stance and punch the center), The single dragon punch (what you said), The arrow punch (the single dragon punch plus shift stance to sideway and move up).

I used to do 3000 punches a day before when I was drilling with GZ Wingchum, the wooden floor got 2 circular marks after a week, haha!

cool, train hard.

cool, train hard.
    Thanks, but now I am abit moe into the Tai Chi vibe instead. GZ Wingchun's system still got some flaws which you can see it with all the GZ Wingchun masters and that is the structure of the movements. It will generate a lower back pain for all practitioners. I have saw MANY GZ Wingchun masters with the same pain already and it's because the way they do the training..

I later on fixed up the problem by correcting the posture abit and so it won't give me the awful pain. I have got a student of mine who learned from a GZ Wingchun sifu for 3 years and he told me the whole class go the same pain if they learn for more than 1 month.. people think it's NORMAL because they don't see it's from the training.. but it is. I got it too, before, but now fixed.

the hips need a posterior 'tilt' aka clench your buttocks forwards, this action straightens the lower lumbar vert.. I didnt want to go into details but...the pivoting is on toes , leading to less power generation and moving away from your 'face' . IOW you turn to face but you also move back a few inches on toes ...the elbows seem to be out and the punches are all 'on' the centerline, rather than sweeping it. Whats the thinking of the elbows and centerline ?
    Last edited by k gledhill; 04-20-2011 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CYMac View Post
    Yes, Gwong Zhau Wingchun is same as Sum Nung Wingchun. Just a name. This set is supposed to be 12 separated techniques and I just chained it up in a set to show on video without pausing. Makes it more easy to keep track of things.
    Thanks for the info

Seems to be a push of Sum Nung lately, which is cool, but I do hope future generations refrain from identifying their Wing Chun with an 'area' especially in the mainland. I have the same concerns for Kulo Wing Chun, as it's actually Fung Family Wing Chun, which has since spread far from Kulo village

Sorry to hear of your back problems but I'm sure your Taichi will help ease the condition. Any branch of Wing Chun that seems to concentrate on sansau or loose hand methods will have major weaknesses imho. Many strengths too but they will be missing the later developments and the more traditional approach to training the whole body.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but form practise is not considered important to the Fungs? Everything is in sets, or yaudim (important points) right? More of a Karate one-two step approach to your Wing Chun, that will work for some but not for others...
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 04-20-2011 at 08:55 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Guangzhou Wing Chun is another name for Sum Nung's branch of Wing Chun.

An article on SN's Sup Yee San Sik on Rene's site: http://www.wingchunkuen.com/sumnung/...elveforms.html
    Thanks for the Link Chee. Begs the question, where is Rene when we need him eh??
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Thanks for the info

Seems to be a push of Sum Nung lately, which is cool, but I do hope future generations refrain from identifying their Wing Chun with an 'area' especially in the mainland. I have the same concerns for Kulo Wing Chun, as it's actually Fung Family Wing Chun, which has since spread far from Kulo village

Sorry to hear of your back problems but I'm sure your Taichi will help ease the condition. Any branch of Wing Chun that seems to concentrate on sansau or loose hand methods will have major weaknesses imho. Many strengths too but they will be missing the later developments and the more traditional approach to training the whole body.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but form practise is not considered important to the Fungs? Everything is in sets, or yaudim (important points) right? More of a Karate one-two step approach to your Wing Chun, that will work for some but not for others...
    My back problem actually got cured now, after one year practicing my own lineage's form. So that's good to know. The wingchun really got some problem. Even Ip Man style does have the back pain problem too, especially Jiu Wan branch. I know people from that branch and they have seriously got some pain in the body with the practice..

Yes, Fung Siu Ching lineage is more to the san sik and it's mainly all san sik. You are right. But it doesn't harm for you to chain it up for memorizing or reviewing the moves.

the hips need a posterior 'tilt' aka clench your buttocks forwards, this action straightens the lower lumbar vert.. I didnt want to go into details but...the pivoting is on toes , leading to less power generation and moving away from your 'face' . IOW you turn to face but you also move back a few inches on toes ...the elbows seem to be out and the punches are all 'on' the centerline, rather than sweeping it. Whats the thinking of the elbows and centerline ?
    I have no idea how to talk about this with you by text.. haha! maybe make a movie and we can chat. It's really hard for me to imagine what you are talking about too.. sorry, just too confused.