Thread: Dragonhouse MMA

Dragonhouse MMA

I went to Born to Fight XIII two days ago. This weekend is Dragonhouse 4.

Dragon House 4 Showcases Mixed Martial Arts
    By AsianWeek Staff
    – November 8, 2010Posted in: Bay Area, Sports

Zhong Luo will be hosting ‘Dragon House 4′ an amateur Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) event at the Kezar Pavilion at 755 Stanyan Street in San Francisco on Saturday, November 13. Doors will open at 1pm with fights beginning at 3pm.

The event features 15 amateur cage fights, including the long awaited match-up between Adam Dunkel and Abraham Vaesau. ‘Dragon House 4′ is fast becoming the best organized amateur MMA event in the bay area, attracting some of the top-notched MMA fighters in California.

Fighters include world-class strikers of many different styles, those with black belts in Jiu Jitsu, and those who are national-level wrestlers. With a majority of these fighters as instructors representing their schools, this event is guaranteed to be fast-paced, action-packed, and extremely exciting.

This is Dragon House’ 4th event and is considered the best amateur MMA event in San Francisco with over eighteen Martial Arts schools from across the bay.

Purchase tickets online at: www.dragonhousemma.com.

For more questions contact Zhong Lou at (415) 349-4467.
    Unfortunately, I'm already booked on the 13th. I was invited to WulinFeng in Las Vegas on the 13th too, but I have a family commitment I must honor.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Dragonhouse 5

I just clipped the previous post from the S.F. Bay Area MMA thread. This weekend (3/12/11) is the 5th Dragonhouse MMA event and I'm delighted to be able to attend finally. I've had schedule conflicts for the previous four.

Here's the Dragonhouse website.

Here's my 2000 December cover story on promoter Zhong Luo: The Forbidden Fist of Bak Mei Kungfu: Grandmaster "Fishmonger" Qiang and his Son, Zhong Luo.

Here's our past coverage on Dragonhouse MMA events:

2010 July/August: Amateur MMA in the Dragonhouse By Chris Lewin

2010 November/December: DRAGON HOUSE 3 at the Kezar Pavilion By Greg Hebert

I'll be covering Dragonhouse 5 for our next issue, the July August 2011.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

That was fun

Props to Master Zhong Luo! Dragonhouse was a lot of fun. I'll post some pix and write it up here later.

Of course, all the talk was about UFC buying up Strikeforce.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Results

CAMO is 3 rounds of 2 mins, which makes for a lot of fast action.

Michael Herrera def Steven Summers RD2 RNC
    Bloody noses right away. Herrera dominated on the ground in the 2nd.

Jonathan Chaplin def. Richard Rigmaden unanimous decision
    I couldn't call RD 1 or 3 as things look distorted through a camera lens. Chaplin ruled the 2nd after a timely reversal.

Josh Paiva def. Brady Huang unanimous decision
    Nice mix of standing and ground overall. RD1 Paiva opened with some powerful takedowns until Huang almost sealed a leg lock. RD2 was a lot of ground action with Paiva nearly sealing an RNC. RD3 Paiva got on top and G&Ped until the bell.

Carlos Chavez def Essel Magat RD2 TKO
    Chavez got on top and G&Ped with hammerfists until the ref stopped it

Brando Hester def Lamar Gosey unanimous decision
    RD1 & 2 had Hester getting on top but Gosey wriggling free. RD3 Gosey landed a spectacular head kick, almost a KO, but couldn't finish it. Loved that kick!

Don Mohammed def. Geovanny Aquilar RD1 TKO
    It was less than a minute after a great barrage by Mohammed.

Myron Smith def. Bryan McCauly RD1 6 seconds KO
    6 SECONDS! I didn't even have time to focus my lens. There were some boos after, but it was a clear victory.

Sasha Montgomery def. Justine Orozco unanimous decision
    RD2 Orozco almost secured a guillotine. RD1 & 3 Montgomery scored takedowns and had the advantage on the ground.

Shannon Jimmy def. Stacie Seidner split decision.
    A solid women's match. Jimmy's nose was bloodied early, but she stayed on top on the ground. Nice mix of standing and ground overall.

Eric Dejanvier def. Robert Hoggle unanimous decision
    Hoggle entered to Jamrock, one of my fav songs, so I was rooting for him, but he lost. It was well fought. I thought he was on top more in RD1 and somewhat so in RD2, but by RD3 Dejanvier was more in control.

Vincent Bordi def. Angelo Henry RD1 TKO
    Bordi crushed Henry with the G&P. Henry made it to the bell, but couldn't come out for the start of the 2nd.

Rick Reger def. Greg Ulatowski split decision
    Okay, I'm embarrassed to say that my pen went dry. I actually had a second pen, but I was unable to locate it. I don't really remember what happened beyond the finish.

Justin Bronson def. Michael Moreno unanimous decision
    This was a 205 lb match and in RD2 Bronson was on top, slamming both his fists down together on Moreno. You just don't get that kind of quality violence anywhere else but in MMA. After that, Moreno couldn't really rally, but he kept fighting well, to his credit.

I'll post some pix soon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Some photos

I'm saving more photos for our print coverage.

Sifu Zhong Luo

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

a few more

It was great fun shooting photos at cageside. It's much safer than ringside.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

rash guards for everyone, i guess... do they do that just so people can tell whos who? i like when the have different color gloves or tapes on the wrists... makes it easier when theyre tied up and all that... dunno bout the rash guards tho... i would rather wear one than not in mma too... i just feel comfy in them... better than bare chest... the sweat and blood is gross enough as it is...

Someone should tell those ring girls to eat some food, a burger or something.....if they turn anymore sideways you'd barely see them.

@Syn7 Rash guards are required by CAMO rules

It's a point of contention for some with CAMO. All CAMO fighters are required to use only CAMO rashguards & gloves. I think the gloves are 7 oz. which is an odd weight as they are usually 8 oz for kickboxing or 4 oz for MMA (please correct me if I'm wrong here). Each CAMO fighter is issued gear and if it wears out, they have to replace it through CAMO. It's reminiscent of what sanshou tried to do in the early years, requiring that odd pleated regulation sparring gear, and what modern wushu tried to do with standardized weapons. There is a logic behind it, but then there's also an exclusivity factor that's controlling. What's more, for MMA fighters, the rash guard is a place where they can advertise. MMA fighters don't get paid a lot (they aren't supposed to get paid at all on the amateur level) so advertising helps defray training costs, etc. That being said, many MMA fighters (male) prefer to go shirtless. At the end of one fight, and I can't remember which one, one of the victors took off his shirt. The refs quickly had him back in it for the winner declaration.

I actually liked the rash guards. It was easy to tell red from blue.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

4oz is right... some use 6oz... amatuers and smaller promotions and such... but 4oz is the norm...

i feel comfy in a rash guard... i train in one so its just what im used to... it soakes up sweat and also provides a bit of friction when you are all sweaty... i see that as an advantage... sometimes its really frustrating trying to hold somebody who is sopping wet and slippery...