Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yuen Kay San Sil Lim Tau

Smile Yuen Kay San Sil Lim Tau

Here is a basic video of Sil Lim Tau check it out...tell me what you think...

http://www.youtube.com/user/stan4900#p/u/4/ybN8e_bzlJY
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Here is a basic video of Sil Lim Tau check it out...tell me what you think...

http://www.youtube.com/user/stan4900#p/u/4/ybN8e_bzlJY
    Compare to how Sum Nung taught it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVhRMzywe6Y

(that's Sum Dek, Sum Nung's son and the inheritor of the lineage).

I have to say both have problems imo...

The first one had no rooting or body connection/linking.

The second one... with that Wu Sau so low, is completely unrealistic as there is no way it's gonna provide any real guard against a headshot. The low position in itself creates a big time delay to protect the upper gate. I won't even bring up structural integrity.

To each his own of course.

You really can't tell much about a fellows WC by watching his SLT. It is all different than mine. So I don't think it is good to judge by looks. However, I think the dark fellow was pretty good. Real good in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by duende View Post
    I have to say both have problems imo...

The first one had no rooting or body connection/linking.

The second one... with that Wu Sau so low, is completely unrealistic as there is no way it's gonna provide any real guard against a headshot. The low position in itself creates a big time delay to protect the upper gate. I won't even bring up structural integrity.

To each his own of course.
    All forms have problems -- forms themselves are a problem.

But, if you are going to practice someone's curriculum/forms, like Sum Nung's for instance, the "test" is how well you replicate their curriculum/form. A good example is Chris Chan who does/teaches his SNT with dynamic tension. Regardless of what you believe about doing the form that way, if you call what you do Chris Chan WCK and then do soft serve WCK, it is not a good representation of Chan's curriculum.

And, fwiw, wu sao is not a "guard" against a head shot. Nor is it something to "protect the upper gate".

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    All forms have problems -- forms themselves are a problem.

But, if you are going to practice someone's curriculum/forms, like Sum Nung's for instance, the "test" is how well you replicate their curriculum/form. A good example is Chris Chan who does/teaches his SNT with dynamic tension. Regardless of what you believe about doing the form that way, if you call what you do Chris Chan WCK and then do soft serve WCK, it is not a good representation of Chan's curriculum.

And, fwiw, wu sao is not a "guard" against a head shot. Nor is it something to "protect the upper gate".
    As a tool in itself it is the protecting hand or guard that comprises the wc second line of defense. As in two hand Jong sau/2-line defense and earth triangle structure.

For gate theory to function properly... The guard hand has to reside in the proper time and space. Other wise timing, structure and positioning will be compromised and faced with over coming bad habits such as collapsed structure and timing delays... Meaning further distance to travel to cover space.

Two-line Jong sau is where all other wc upper gate defenses are "born". Without this body mechanic awareness, one always trying to make up for weak structure, bad positioning, and off timing.
    Last edited by duende; 08-12-2010 at 10:05 PM.

As a tool in itself it is the protecting hand or guard that comprises the wc second line of defense. As in two hand Jong sau/2-line defense and earth triangle structure.

For gate theory to function properly... The guard hand has to reside in the proper time and space. Other wise timing, structure and positioning will be compromised and faced with over coming bad habits such as collapsed structure and timing delays... Meaning further distance to travel to cover space.

Two-line Jong sau is where all other wc upper gate defenses are "born". Without this body mechanic awareness, one always trying to make up for weak structure, bad positioning, and off timing.
    You could fertilize a garden with this stuff!

But you are very good at regurgitating what you have been told.

Obviously you are defensive due to your own attachments. This is understandable considering the amount of time you put into this system. But by your own admission... It was not functionable. This is one of the reasons why.

A boxer must always keep his hands up. Wu Sau as part of Two line Jong Sau is not so different.

You can justify techniques all you want as being true to a form etc... But that's BS. Techniques should serve and moreover PROVE the concept from which they were conceived. A low protecting hand does not protect anything and is garbage IMO.

Obviously you are defensive due to your own attachments.
    How is what I said "defensive"? LOL!

This is understandable considering the amount of time you put into this system. But by your own admission... It was not functionable. This is one of the reasons why.
    Yes, I've only been practicing WCK almost 30 years, and put "in more time" than you or your sifu. But that is neither here nor there. I never said my WCK isn't functional. In fact, I credit Robert with helping me make my WCK functional (I wasn't able tio make it functional until after I trained with Robert).

A boxer must always keep his hands up. Wu Sau as part of Two line Jong Sau is not so different.
    WCK is not boxing. Two line jong sao is nonsense.

I'll give you a hint -- in the SNT, we do the tan sao, fook sao, and wu sao in the SBF section. All those ACTIONS occur after contact, and are bridge hands (hands in contact with an opponent).

You can justify techniques all you want as being true to a form etc... But that's BS. Techniques should serve and moreover PROVE the concept from which they were conceived. A low protecting hand does not protect anything and is garbage IMO.
    There is are no concepts. Concepts are bullsh1t. Wu sao is an action, a contact action (you are doing something with it). There are no passive hands in WCK.

How is what I said "defensive"? LOL!
    When someone like yourself foolishly suggests planting diamonds to use as fertilizer merely to sound clever and insult... Then it's safe to say you're not only being reactionary and defensive, but talking out of your a$$!

Yes, I've only been practicing WCK almost 30 years, and put "in more time" than you or your sifu. But that is neither here nor there. I never said my WCK isn't functional. In fact, I credit Robert with helping me make my WCK functional (I wasn't able tio make it functional until after I trained with Robert).
    Exactly... You've said numerous times that you couldn't make the WC you studied for twenty years work. How is that functional?? Then miraculously, after some long-distance seminar training with Robert everything makes sense... How is that functional?

Obviously you need to study more with Robert, because you have no idea what your talking about in these matters... and need MUCH more time because a low Wu Sau is NOT FUNCTIONAL and leaves you open to attack.

As for your delusions of grandeur... I doubt even Robert can help you with that.

My Sifu has been teaching for more than thirty years. And not one of the dozens upon dozens of Sifu's/instructor's from WC, TCMA, and Non-TCMA's he's touched hands with would ever question his skill like you do. Not even your own Sifu Robert Chu.

So stop being a putz! We're all over being embarrassed for you.

WCK is not boxing. Two line jong sao is nonsense.
    Wow...

I'll leave that one alone. No sense in tearing apart a tired old person riddled with delusion.

I'll give you a hint -- in the SNT, we do the tan sao, fook sao, and wu sao in the SBF section. All those ACTIONS occur after contact, and are bridge hands (hands in contact with an opponent).
    No ****. But if they are residing in a low position, with inherently weak structure already in place... That's a time delay. Therefore upon contact when the technique is called into action it will be severely handicapped.

You argue just to argue.

Sad... Robert's not the only person who could be your teacher.

There is are no concepts. Concepts are bullsh1t. Wu sao is an action, a contact action (you are doing something with it). There are no passive hands in WCK.
    Yes, it is a guarding and protecting hand. This is part of the action, a part that set-ups the contact action.

Structure is alive, structure is energy.

This obviously is something you still need to learn.

Life is too short, and I'd much rather spend more time playing guitar then waste time trading insults with you.

Let's just agree to disagree. I honestly wish you the best.
    Last edited by duende; 08-13-2010 at 07:49 AM.

Life is too short, and I'd much rather spend more time playing guitar then waste time trading insults with you.
    How could more guitar ever be a wrong answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    How could more guitar ever be a wrong answer?
    I prefer more cowbell, but to each his own
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

When someone like yourself foolishly suggests planting diamonds to use as fertilizer merely to sound clever and insult... Then it's safe to say you're not only being reactionary and defensive, but talking out of your a$$!
    All that stuff -- wing chun 2nd line of defense, 2 line jong sao, earth triangle structure, proper time and space, gate theory, etc. -- are not diamonds but nonsense.

Wu sao is an action/movement not a position/shape (you don't hold it out there as a "guard"). That movement/action has an optimal path. It is also a transition (a way to move from A to B). These are illustrated in the SNT. What wu sao does is protect your structure (wu) by transitioning in a certain, specific way -- keeping your elbow down, moving in the center, etc. It is an example of the kuit chum jang sao jong.

An example of this is doing continuous pak saos on the dummy -- the "retreating" hand (after having pak'ed) is a wu sao, it follows the path illustrated in the SNT, low, underneath the outgoing pak sao. But it doesn't come to stop or stay like some prayer palm (in WCK we "lien juk bat ting lao", train to continue without stopping or staying), but continues on as it is a transition to the next movement, a pak sao in this case. But, if you took a picture at the right moment, you would see the shape commonly associated with the wu sao.

The chain punches, lien wan choi, are punches that combine with wu sao (the "retreating" hand) - if you stopped the action at the right moment, again you would see the hand poised in front of the chest like the shape associated with wu sao.

Holding a "prayer palm" in front of your chest -- or worse, face -- as "protection" is very low-level WCK.

Exactly... You've said numerous times that you couldn't make the WC you studied for twenty years work. How is that functional?? Then miraculously, after some long-distance seminar training with Robert everything makes sense... How is that functional?
    You don't know what you are talking about. I visited Robert many times, and we would train, I'd take what he taught me, go back and train it, then return. As I have said, I was lacking in several fundamentals, like body structure and the faat mun, that are necessary to make WCK functional.

Obviously you need to study more with Robert, because you have no idea what your talking about in these matters... and need MUCH more time because a low Wu Sau is NOT FUNCTIONAL and leaves you open to attack.
    See above where I explain what wu sao is -- does your hand coming back low when you do chain punches, for example, leave you open to attack?

All that stuff -- wing chun 2nd line of defense, 2 line jong sao, earth triangle structure, proper time and space, gate theory, etc. -- are not diamonds but nonsense.
    You're welcome to your opinion. But it is clear that once again you are making blind assumptions based on your own experiences and not giving any thought to what I actually wrote.

Otherwise, you would not write what you have below...

Wu sao is an action/movement not a position/shape (you don't hold it out there as a "guard"). That movement/action has an optimal path. It is also a transition (a way to move from A to B). These are illustrated in the SNT. What wu sao does is protect your structure (wu) by transitioning in a certain, specific way -- keeping your elbow down, moving in the center, etc. It is an example of the kuit chum jang sao jong.
    No one here has said Wu sau is merely a static position or shape. These are YOUR words and YOUR understanding based on YOUR need to be always right and ignorant of the greater knowledge of other's.

And btw... the optimal path YOU describe above is clearly not present in the video your posted. As it leaves the entire upper gate vulnerable to attack. What's "optimal" about that??

I'm not talking shapes here, I'm talking TIMING.

Practicing forms one way, and then applying the techniques completely different is nonsense!

An example of this is doing continuous pak saos on the dummy -- the "retreating" hand (after having pak'ed) is a wu sao, it follows the path illustrated in the SNT, low, underneath the outgoing pak sao. But it doesn't come to stop or stay like some prayer palm (in WCK we "lien juk bat ting lao", train to continue without stopping or staying), but continues on as it is a transition to the next movement, a pak sao in this case. But, if you took a picture at the right moment, you would see the shape commonly associated with the wu sao.

The chain punches, lien wan choi, are punches that combine with wu sao (the "retreating" hand) - if you stopped the action at the right moment, again you would see the hand poised in front of the chest like the shape associated with wu sao.
    So basically for your chain punch scenario here to work in tandem with your "optimal" Wu Sau... what you are essentially saying here is that you advocate chain punching the human gate. Leaving your guard wide open on the upper gate... Not very smart. Won't work against any boxer. Doesn't matter how you "retreat", you're gonna get knocked the F' out.

Talk about nonsense!

Holding a "prayer palm" in front of your chest -- or worse, face -- as "protection" is very low-level WCK.
    More ludicrous assumptions.

You don't know what you are talking about. I visited Robert many times, and we would train, I'd take what he taught me, go back and train it, then return. As I have said, I was lacking in several fundamentals, like body structure and the faat mun, that are necessary to make WCK functional.
    Great... I'm glad you were open to receive some help. One should never stop learning imo.

See above where I explain what wu sao is -- does your hand coming back low when you do chain punches, for example, leave you open to attack?
    So now you are either flip flopping or agreeing with me and the martial knowledge that the Wu Sau was too low in the vid you posted.
    Last edited by duende; 08-13-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Comparing SLT

If you compare videos of Sil Lim Tau with in the Sum Nung Lineage. All of them look different compared to each other. Same thing with Ip Man lineages.

Check these videos out and discuss how they are different and similiar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHZ0xrd5fY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prTFbXgIM4Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giVMjnCkTBo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNEBr8XVi3Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaGnTqk_FlU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybN8e_bzlJY

All of these videos are from the Yuen Kay San/Sum Nung lineage. But each Sifu adds there own innovations. Just as Bruce Lee innovated his wing chun so does every body else. So if you study Wing Chun you will see that which each sifu of the same lineage the forms will not be an exact match. Some things and principles will be constant. Its the Principles that make the lineage and not the hand posistions. Some do there wu sau fok sau thrice hands at chest level. So that you are reeling and pushing from the middle dan tien. Others do so at face level. Both are good depending on the attack. But a form is just a form to develop certain aspects of your WC. If you want to have proper technique when fighting one must practice drills and fighting. You drill each technique over and over again until its apart of conscious thought. An you also apply each technique in actual phyiscal sparring. Thats when how it is to be used comes out. Wu Sau has more than one usage. Same as fok sau and tan sau. You may use them differently. In some cases if you use the tan sau in certain way it is called a different hand like Tok Sau. But in either case its all from ones own perception which undoubtely stems from your training or lack there of.

As for Terrence Niehoff. My Sihing as offer you a Challenge to train and spar.

anytime you want to see how good his boxing punches are or even test his WC attack and defense you can meet him for free at Forest park, Heman Park,Rabe Park, Miller Park or any other St.Louis park your familiar with. Give me a name and number to reach you...an i will give the info to Stan. An we can video tape you sparring with him and you can post that up saying how well you fare with his power. Because I will tell you that man has alot power even when he is not throwing with all his might. His power will make you back up. I like to see you stand there while he feeds you punches!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"