Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jenna Castillo

Jenna Castillo

...gets her own donut.

You may remember Jenna from her sanshou daze.

Thursday, July 22, 2010
    Donut's of the Week, Jennamorphasis and more!

We're thrilled about our new Pspecial of the Week. It's not everyday you get to create a donut themed around a IKF AMATEUR MUAY THAI BANTAMWEIGHT WORLD CHAMPION. In fact, it's probably never happened. A few months ago, a pretty, soft-spoken girl named Jenna Castillo stumbled into Psycho Donuts. Upon first meeting Jenna, you might never guess such a well-mannered girl could be California's Champion Muay Thai Kickboxing queen. We learned that Jenna is so jacked up about donuts, friends call her "Jenna Donuts." And this was the start of an amazing friendship.

It was only natural for us to create a donut in Jenna's image. And so it is that we bring you this week's Pspecial - Jenna's Passion. This may be the one and only time you can have Jenna's foot in your face without an ensuing hospital visit. Jenna's Passion is a foot-shaped donut filled with our Belgian White Chocolate and Passion Fruit Cream and topped with Strawberry Icing and Jenna's fave - sprinkles.

And while we're talking about Jenna's Passion - we'd like to invite you to

Jennamorphasis
    - The Transition from Kickboxing Champion to Psycho Nurse
    - An event to support MS.
    When: Saturday, July 31, from 2pm - 4pm.
    Where: Psycho Donuts, 2006 S Winchester Blvd, Campbell, CA 95008

Jenna can tear it up in the ring, but what happens when a champion kickboxer is transformed to Psycho Nurse and forced to make donuts? Will the donuts crumble around her? Will she cave under doughy pressure? Will fight fans all over the bay swoon for this butt-kickin' Nurse? Come find out. We've even got a twist on the Jenna's Passion that we will make for the whole weekend that will make Jenna blush! And not in a good way . . . ;c)

2PM - Jenna will be blushing as she has to make her twisted donut. Come see the donut mangulation and donut horror!
    2:15 - 4 PM - Jenna will be working behind the counter to serve every donut need. Make a donation to MS and she will:

* Sign your donut in chocolate icing,
    * Take a photo with you in her Nurse outfit ,
    * or Challenge you to a bubble wrap popping contest.

How many chances in your life do you get to make a difference for those in need AND say you took on an IKF World Champion and lived to tell about it? Once in a lifetime folks.
    Get down here!

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Jenna won on Saturday

Jenna just fought at Fight Night to the Mansion, which I mentioned on our Jesus in Playboy thread.

She defeated Tiffany Van Soest by unanimous decision @ 2:10 in round 5.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Just spoke to Jenna...

...she's busy prepping for the fight this Saturday (STRIKEFORCE: Diaz vs Cyborg) but I'll have a short interview up soon.
    Female Muay Thai prodigy Jenna Castillo debuts at Strikeforce this Saturday
    * January 24th, 2011 5:33 pm ET

Muay Thai and San Shou prodigy Jenna Castillo will make her MMA debut against another debuting fighter, Charlene Gellner on the January 29 Strikeforce card at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California. Castillo, who has amassed an impressive Muay Thai and San Shou record will be in for a classic striker vs. grappler showdown against Bay Area Fight Academy's Gellner. The fight will be contested at the 120lb. limit in 3 five minute rounds.

Like several decorated strikers that venture into the world of mixed martial arts, Castillo is aware that she has lots of ground to make up in terms of her ground and submission game. "The smart thing for me to do is to keep it standing," Castillo told me over the weekend in a phone interview. "I highly anticipate for her to try and take me down to the ground, so I've been trying to work out on that a little bit," she added and further elaborated, "This whole thing (MMA) is new to me, so to sit there and tell you I've been practicing Jiu Jitsu in three weeks and I'm going to go out there and pull our a submission, takes a lot of credit away from all the people that spent years perfecting that art."

So it comes as no surprise that Castillo will be looking to take Gellner's head off and turn it into her proverbial 'Clap Kicker'. Castillo, who is good friends and trains at the same gym as Filipino boxing champion Nonito Donaire Jr. as well as 3-time boxing World Champion Ana Julaton, whom she has had boxing sparring session with, will have to rely on her punches and kicks and aim to outgun Gellner who also has some boxing background, but is primarily considered as an aggressive grappler.

I will be cageside in the the HP Pavilion to cover this card, and will be updating fans live via Twitter and will also be running a comprehensive round-by-round blog here on my Examiner page. Castillo, who is very much in tuned with the Filipino culture, hopes to celebrate a win, after all is said and done, with a glass of freshly squeezed calamansi juice and turon from one of her favorite restaurants in the Bay. If you don't know, you better ask somebody.
    Love the Clap kicker plug.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Here's that interview

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our homegirl Jenna

Can you still say "homegirl" or is that an obsolete slang?
    Millbrae native braces for MMA debut
    January 28, 2011, 01:42 AM By Julio Lara, Daily Journal Staff
    Peninsula native and Muay Thai champion Jenna Castillo had made the Caltrain trip from Millbrae to San Jose many times before.

But four weeks ago, getting off at the San Jose Diridon station took on a whole different meaning for Castillo. It was then that she found out that the venue where she grew up watching the Sharks, watching concerts, watching fellow fighters and friends fight, would host her first fight as a professional mixed martial artist.

Talk about a trip.

“Why not now?” Castillo said of her move from Muay Thai kickboxing to MMA. “I think it’s a once in lifetime opportunity. I feel really lucky that it’s close to home. It’s a great feeling.”

After dominating the world of Muay Thai with a 28-2 record, Castillo will step into the octagon for her first bout as a professional Saturday night as part of the Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Cyborg undercard at the HP Pavilion in San Jose. Castillo will face another MMA debutante and Bay Area native Charlene Gellner — the fight is scheduled for three, five-minute rounds.

“It’s a lot of firsts for me,” Castillo said. “Fighting HP, fighting MMA, it’s my first pro fight. But I think it’s finally time I go pro and the opportunity came through about doing something like this. And now I get to do it so I’m really happy about it. It feels like it’s the chance of a lifetime. I mean, how many people get to go in there and follow their dreams?”

Castillo has been following that dream since her days at Mills High School. It’s then, as a 17-year old fighting in a karate tournament, that Castillo turned to her mother and told her that she had found her passion. Fighting is all Castillo had known ever since, racking up numerous kickboxing and Muay Thai world championships along the way.

But Saturday will mark a new chapter in Castillo’s fighting career. Gone will be the familiar 10 ounce gloves, which will be replaced by the four-ounces gloves used in MMA. Gone will be the two minute rounds to which Castillo is accustomed. They’ll be replaced by five-minute wars with an opponent whose listed specialty is jiu-jitsu — a grappling style that is nowhere to be seen in the strictly strike-strike world of kickboxing.

“It feels like it’s day one,” Castillo said. “I feel like day one on roller skates and I’m falling on the cement. (But) it’s great. I love it, I love it.”

Despite living full combat for 10 years, the challenge lies in how quickly Castillo has picked up the nuances that come with fighting in the octagon as opposed to a four-sided ring.

“If I said I was completely comfortable with that, I would be a fool,” Castillo said. “And I hope someone would smack me hard across my face to wake me up. I think that would be not giving enough credit to the sport — to say that in three weeks I’m going to fight MMA, OK, no problem. No way. I won’t know how comfortable I am until Saturday when I get into that cage. And it can be an awakening experience for me. I can walk in and say, ‘Oh this is not for me,’ or leave and say, ‘I love this and I’m not leaving.’”

The champion is taking the task in stride and is putting in the time to make sure she’s as prepared as she can be come tomorrow night.

“My training is different, it’s a lot different,” Castillo said. “We have to increase my endurance, increase my cardio. The stand-up stance is different (then Muay Thai). The training has changed because I’m looking to be well-rounded.”

At 28 years old, Castillo knows the time to make her move into the pros is now — and Strikeforce might be the perfect fit for her as it’s one of the few professional mixed martial arts organization to give women fighters the platform to show their skills in the cage.

“You know what, sink or swim, no matter what, it’s something I have to do,” Castillo said. “I’m excited about it, there’s an excitement inside of me. When I train, I’m always so hard on myself. And now, for this one, I’m getting my butt trained. I’ve spent years on my feet learning the art there and I’m still not 110 percent convinced that my stand-up game is great. Every day you’re trying to perfect the art and learn something new.”

Now living in San Jose, the stage couldn’t be better for Castillo to make her debut.

“I’m always nervous before a fight. If I said I wasn’t, they’d be something wrong,” Castillo said. “I always have my pre-fight jitters, but there’s no better feeling than fighting at home.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

anyone who lived through the 80s and 90s has a free pass to say homegirl/homeboy till they die. Im rooting for Jenna to take her first win in her first mma match. thats some exciting stuff. gotta stand by those fellow ninjas lol

looking forward to watching
    Last edited by Lucas; 01-28-2011 at 11:42 AM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

i see all this info on her but it doesnt say which class shes in???

im guessing 145, but maybe 135... right now im all about amanda nunez at 145... even tho she beat up a hometown aquaintance of mine julia budd, i think nunez is great... love the energy... shes so young too, at 22 shes already a destroyer and i thik shell do well... i wanna see her fight cristianne santos forr the title... we'll see how well castillo does... shades of gina, right... crazy muay thai and not much else... maybe a recipe for success, we'll see if her heart can carry her in the areas she needs work in... good luck jenna...

oh wow... i just checked and jennas fighting at 120lbs... wow, i didnt realise she was so small... at that weight i expect to see vapor trails behind her strikes... it isnt gonna be televised is it??? but the prelims are free online, yeah???

Charlene Gellner is listed on sherdog as boxing and bjj. I think as long as Jenna can stay standing or get back to her feet she has a pretty good shot at taking it. if she gets the opportunity id like to see her kick gellner really really hard. then remove her head from her neck.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Charlene Gellner is listed on sherdog as boxing and bjj. I think as long as Jenna can stay standing or get back to her feet she has a pretty good shot at taking it. if she gets the opportunity id like to see her kick gellner really really hard. then remove her head from her neck.

you just want her to win coz she beat you in the ninja contest

haha **** skippy

also got to support the homeboys and homegirls

ims is a loyal ninja

its what i do when im not collecting lion urine for work.

its what i do when im not collecting lion urine for work.
    whats that? ride the nuttz of anyone that beats you in a dress up contest???

pretty much anyone that beats me at anything.

pretty much anyone that beats me at anything.
    so if i beat you up can i start ordering you around???

nope, you can expect me to try and steal your ideas and adopt your methods and come back at you a while later to try and defeat you. or i might just pee in your cheerios when you arent looking.