Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legendary Amazons

Legendary Amazons

Talk about your "A" list of today's Chinese actresses.
    Director Ronnie Yee gathers top Asian actresses for new movie
    Posted: 04 March 2010 1628 hrs

HONG KONG : Director Ronnie Yu will bring together top Asian actresses Gong Li, Zhang Ziyi, Zhou Xun, Tang Wei and Michelle Yeoh for his upcoming film "The Lady Generals of the Yang Family", said Hong Kong media reports.

Gong, Zhang, Zhou and Tang's roles have been fixed but Yeoh's role remains a mystery.

The film is reportedly funded by Orange Sky Golden Harvest Holdings Ltd and Japanese entertainment giant AVEX. It will cost US$20 million (S$28 million) to produce and will be Yu's first Mandarin film since his 2006 collaboration with Jet Li in "Fearless".

Oscar-winning Japanese costume designer, Emi Wada, has also been roped in to create the costumes for the film.

"The Lady Generals of the Yang Family" tells of how the women from the Yang family of Song dynasty stepped onto the battlefield to avenge the deaths of their warriors husbands, who died while fighting the invading Xia army after being sold out by a traitorous Song official.

The story will reportedly depart significantly from the series of novels it is based on and does not focus too much on the themes of loyalty. Instead, it will focus on the heroism of the titular Lady Generals.

Interestingly, this is the first time Gong, who turns 45 this year, has agreed to play a character much older than her actual age. The film will also mark the second time she is working alongside Yeoh and Zhang after 2005's "Memoirs of a Geisha".

According to a spokeswoman from Orange Sky, the film is slated to begin production in May.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Sammo scoops Bing Bing

22/10/2010
    Cecilia Cheung takes up Jackie Chan movie

Actress Cecilia Cheung makes a strong comeback as she takes up her fourth movie project executively produced by Jackie Chan

Cecilia Cheung

It seems like Cecilia Cheung's all geared up for a full comeback following the birth of her second son, Quintus Tse.

She will be taking up her fourth movie project at HKD 15 mil ($3 million), and will be pocketing a total of HKD 50 mil ($10 million) for her highly-anticipated return to the big screen.

Set to film next month, the mother of two is playing one of the lady generals in this remake version of The Lady Generals of Yang Family, which will be directed by Frankie Chan and executively produced by Jackie Chan.

Chinese actress Fan Bing Bing, who was originally casted for this film, had secretly signed with another company to film another version of this famous novel, along with Sammo Hung and Barbie Hsu.

It will be a clash of titles at the big screen next year with a total of four versions of this remake.

In other related news, Orange Sky Entertainment Group and Japan's AVEX have also invested HKD 160 mil ($32 million) in another remake version to cast Zhang Zi Yi, Gong Li, Tang Wei, Zhou Xun and Michelle Yeoh as the five lady generals of their movie.

Fellow cast members in The Lady Generals of Yang Family includes Richie Ren, Zheng Pei Pei and Liu Xiao Qing.
    Sort of reminds of when Sammo did Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene, if you haven't seen it yet, you should check out The 14 Amazons. I don't know if 14 Amazons (1972) was the first onscreen depiction of the story or not.

this def bares watching out for. ronnie yu is one of the most effective directors in china or hollywood. the guy really knows how to tell a story effectively. so i cant wait.

Cecilia thrown off

Cecilia Cheung thrown off horse during film shoot
    Posted: 20 December 2010 1317 hrs

BEIJING : Hong Kong actress Cecilia Cheung sustained minor injuries while shooting a horse-riding scene for her upcoming movie "The Lady Generals of the Yang Family" in Inner Mongolia on Saturday, reported Chinese media.

Cheung, who plays Mu Guiying in the Jackie Chan-produced film, fell off a horse, sustaining scratches to her face, neck and shoulder.

"I was almost scared to death when Cecilia fell from a horse a few days ago. Her shoulder, neck and face were injured," the actress' make-up artist posted on his micro-blog, along with a photo showing Cheung's plastered right shoulder.

Cheung later released a statement through her manager saying that she was fine and to remember that she has "a high tolerance for pain and was the most courageous woman".

The 30-year-old actress resumed work after the accident and even made an appearance at a store opening in Suzhou before returning to Hong Kong in the weekend.

Recounting the incident in a phone interview with Chinese media, Cheung's manager said: "The wind was very strong that day. Cecilia was fine when she practised riding the horse a couple of times before the shoot but when we started filming, the horse threw her to the ground.

"As Cecilia's costume was very heavy, she had difficulty getting up again and the horse nearly stepped on her, fortunately the horse's owner managed to restrain it."

Directed by Frankie Chan, "The Lady Generals of the Yang Family" is Cheung's fourth movie project since her comeback after having her second son, Quintus, in May this year. It is scheduled for a release next summer.
    20/12/2010
    Cecilia Cheung impresses with her professional work attitude
    The actress turned up for an event despite being injured after falling off the back of a horse

Being a mother has not changed Cecilia Cheung's professional work attitude.

Hong Kong actress Cecilia Cheung's net worth soared after giving birth to her second child. After filming wrapped for All's Well, End's Well 2011, she is currently working on The Lady Generals of Yang Family in Inner Mongolia, China.

Cecilia had always been praised for her professionalism. A few days ago, the actress did not use a body double when she filmed a horse-riding scene. However, the horse suddenly freaked out, throwing Cecilia off its back. She hurt her face and shoulders in the accident.

The news of the accident was only leaked when Cecilia's makeup artiste uploaded a picture of the injured actress yesterday. The photograph showed the actress with a bandaged right shoulder.

"She's (Cecilia Cheung) such a strong girl, but her face hurt each time anyone touched it," wrote the makeup artiste sadly.

Cecilia's courage to ride on a real horse touched co-star Grace Ip, whose heart nearly dropped when she found out that Cecilia had fallen off the horse.

Cecilia was at an event in Suzhou yesterday, where it was clear that the actress wanted to hide her injury from the public. She was wrapped tightly in winter clothes and had a woolen hat on her head.

During the interview, Cecilia was praised for her fluent Mandarin. The actress added that she wants her "both sons to learn to speak the language fluently too". However, throughout the interview, Cecilia made no mention of her injury, showing her professionalism.
    Cecilia, you're breaking my heart
    You're shaking my confidence daily
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Looks like Yukari Oshima will be in this- http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=11514
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Movie should be pretty cool!

Looks like they changed the title

Legendary Amazons. That's actually a more titillating title. I'll change the thread title soon...

Coming Nov 18

"Legendary Amazons" to Set Release Date
    2011-10-12 12:02:51 Chinese Films

The poster of the film "Legendary Amazons" [Photo: Mtime.com]

The production company responsible for the war epic "Legendary Amazons" has set the film's release date for November 18, during the New Year holiday slot, according to a report from website Mtime.com.

Ten years in the making, director Frankie Chan's blockbuster has attracted a host of heavyweight names including Cecilia Cheung, Liu Xiaoqing and Cheng Peipei.

Reportedly, actress Cecilia Cheung is said to be very cooperative this time round, and is expected to make her appearance at the premier ceremony of the film.

Adapted from the folk legend of the twelve widows from the Yang family, who embarked on a punishing expedition to resist West Xia's invasion, 50 million yuan was spent on constructing Asia's largest film studio in an effort to recreate the ancient battle field. The master of kung fu megastar Jet Li, master Wu Bin served as martial arts choreographer for the film's action scenes.

As for Cheung's portrayal of Mu Guiying, director Chan said "Cecelia's personality is close to that of Mu. They're both very strong, and as a mother, she can depict the deep love a mother displays to a son; which is an important aspect that the film tries to deliver".
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Teaser trailer

First Trailer of "Legendary Amazons" Released
    2011-10-17 09:02:20 Chinese Films

Produced by Jackie Chan and directed by Frankie Chan, the heroine war epic "Legendary Amazons" recently has had its first trailer released in Madarin and Cantonese. Starring a host of heavyweight stars, the film is scheduled to hit cinemas on November 18. [Video courtesy of Mtime.com]
    I am changing this thread title from "The Lady Generals of the Yang Family" to "Legendary Amazons"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

what a horrible trailer. but i cant wait for this.

Quote Originally Posted by BakShaolinEC View Post
    what a horrible trailer. but i cant wait for this.
    Hmmm...don't like the new title
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

The music video

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Don't Forget

Now, with Luc Bendza!

That's funny, enoajnin. I figured you would have gone with Li Jing on this.

Ever read my interview with director Ronny Yu? It's was one of my personal favorite interviews.

Ronny Yu is FEARLESS
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

When you think of amazons...do chinese women pop into your mind first?

...I think not
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong