Thread: Kung Fu Rope Dart

Kung Fu Rope Dart

I've recently started self teaching myself the Rope Dart weapon. I have a 10 year background in Kung Fu and do a lot of Stage Combat and always thought the weapon was awesome. So I ordered a rope dart from SakuraMartialArts and picked up the video and book from : http://www.kungfubrothers.com/ropedart.html

So far the guide from KungfuBrothers is awesome but soon I will be at the end and will have learned all it has to offer. I'm wondering if anyone else has studied or self taught rope dart and if they have any books, videos, dvds, or advice to share so I can further my knowledge of this beautiful but dangerous weapon.

TC Media's Rope Dart DVD

Rope Dart
    Donald Hyun Kiolbassa has won several national championships with his Rope Dart technique. He studied extensively in Asia, having trained at the famous Kookiwon, the World Tae Kwon Do Headquarters in Seoul, South Korea, as well as the Shijingshan School of Physical Education in Beijing, China. He was under the direct tutelage of such renowned masters as Kim Su Han, Tian Hai Hong, Hong-Chao Zhang, Daniel Pesina and Manuel Marquez. In 2006, Donald was among the very first Tiger Claw Elite Grand Champions.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

hi neverfold,

I dont know if this a a rope dart, but came across it yesterday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJQJurkg_Ks ( shi yan li )

Looks amazing difficult !

And it hurts a lot when it hits you, you will get hit. Take some pipe insulator and put it around the dart and tape it with duct tape when you are learning this weapon.

I initially learned rope dart with a hard rubber ball my Sifu drilled out and strung the rope through. It had good weight but was still forgiving when I cracked myself.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Since I first started this topic i've been practicing with the Rope Dart every day. I've gone through three ropes and am ready to move on from the half pound dart to the full pound dart. I never padded it at all and always went full force. This isn't to say I haven't gotten horribly hurt by it. lol. Both of my shins have gotten smashed more times than I can remember, the top and back of my head have been clobbered several times and ive stabbed myself in the right shoulder and left thigh once. I rather enjoy the negative reinforcement. The more you get hurt, the less you are inclined to screw up in the same way again. Although I may just be a masochist :P

The Rope Dart has easily moved up to being my second favorite weapon behind the Dao. It can be artistic and beautiful or brutally deadly, and sometimes both!

The Kung Fu Brothers book and DVD helped a ton and the DVD by Donald Hyun Kiolbassa was pretty good.

I'd highly recommend this weapon to anyone looking to freshen up their kung fu or who would like to add a little flare to their stage demos. Its also a great starting point for those that want to use the Fire Meteor for Fire Spinning shows.

Just watch out that you don't poke your own eyes out with it! XD

CCK TCPM Rope Dart Knots

"The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Rope darts are cool, but...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Yeah, who needs to carry concealed...
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

I take my tankapult everywhere with me while looking for a bbq house in texas...

mmmmmm goes good with nazi tanks too!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

the best advice is that practice makes perfect... you can have 10,000 people advise(hahahheheho ha me moo) you on "how" to use the rope dart, but only your practice will grant you the justification of your prowess.

Slightly OT

Enter to win an Autographed edition of DISCOVER YOUR DRAGON by KungFu-Cious! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 11/01/2012. Good luck everyone!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced

See our Winners of Autographed edition of DISCOVER YOUR DRAGON by KungFu-Cious thread
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our WINTER 2019 issue

READ Going Around in Circles: Traditional Rope Dart By Amante P. Mariņas I in our WINTER 2019 issue. Available digitally too via Zinio.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips