Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ip Man 2

Thumbs up IP MAN 2 starring Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung.

As director Wilson Yip’s kung fu sequel IP MAN 2, starring Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung, draws closer to its Asian and Australian premiere, we have gotten our hands on a host of newly released images including a new teaser poster and pics depicting stunt actor Darren Shahlavi as Yip Man’s boxing opponent, more shots of Donnie Yen vs. Sammo Hung, and our first glimpse of child actor Jiang Daiyan as a young Bruce Lee. These images reveal much more of the film than we’ve yet seen from either the teaser trailer or previously released images.

In IP MAN 2, Wing Chun master Yip Man (Yen) leaves mainland China to begin teaching the art in Hong Kong where he comes into conflict with a local Hung Fist master (Sammo Hung) and foreign aggressors.

IP MAN 2 is scheduled for release in Asia and Australia on April 29, 2010.

The Oz release is courtesy of Dream Movie, a distributor committed to bringing first-run Chinese films to Australia on the same day they’re released in Asia. They’re currently showing the new Hong Kong Lunar New Year movie, 72 TENANTS OF PROSPERITY. For details on all Dream Movie’s current and future Oz releases visit http://dreammovieaustralia.blogspot.com.
    RAYNYSC

Ip Man 2

I don't know Huang at all. Anyone?
    Huang Xiaoming in Upcoming Kung-Fu Biopic
    2010-03-01 09:03:42 CRIENGLISH.com Web Editor: Xie Tingting
    Huang Xiaoming, an actor whose name is not usually associated with action movies, will be the biggest surprise in the upcoming martial-arts film "Ip Man 2", director Wilson Yip has said.

Now introducing the next king of kung-fu - Huang Xiaoming.

Huang, an actor whose name is not usually associated with action movies, will be the biggest surprise in the upcoming martial-arts film "Ip Man 2", director Wilson Yip has told Sina.com.cn.

The new film is a sequel to the 2008 blockbuster "Ip Man", a biopic of Bruce Lee's mentor, Yip Man.

In the sequel, Huang plays Yip Man's sullen yet outstanding student Huang Jin, a key character in the development of the film's story.

Wanting to expand into kung-fu movies, Huang Xiaoming has been diligently practicing Wing Chun martial art both on and off the "Ip Man 2" set, according to Sina.com.cn. His efforts have won praise from action star Donnie Yen, who told Sina that he could envision Huang becoming "the next king of kung-fu." Donnie Yen plays Yip Man in the film.

"Ip Man 2" is slated to hit theaters this summer. The film also stars Lynn Hung and Sammo Hung.

Huang Xiaoming's notable screen characters include a Japanese spy chief in the 2009 film "The Message", and Xu Wenqiang in the 2006 TV remake of "Shanghai Bund".
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

It's nice to see that good KF movies haven't completely died in HK. It should be very good.

With all the movies out about Ip Man, I'd like to see a movie about Chan Heung. It's amazing that as popular as CLF is, it's been featured relatively little in KF movies. As adaptable as Donnie Yen is to different M.A. styles, I'll bet he could portray a role like that onscreen very well.

Some shooting diaries

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ip Man in wax

Didn't know there was a Madame Tussauds in HK.

Donnie Yen's wax figure to display at Madame Tussauds in HK
    English.news.cn 2010-03-11 20:47:19

HONG KONG, March 11 (Xinhua) -- Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen will have his wax figure displayed at Madame Tussauds Hong Kong next month, announced the wax museum on Thursday.

The wax figure, mimicking Yen's role in the Chinese martial arts movie Ip Man, portrays Yen in traditional black Chinese clothes. The movie, which has been proved a success after its release at the end of 2008, is about the legendary story of Ip Man, the father of Chinese martial art Wing Chun.

Yen's sitting was conducted in Shanghai in September last year, when he was filming Ip Man 2. Sculptors from Madame Tussauds took hundreds of photographs of Yen and detailed measurements from every angle to perfect the wax figure, said the museum.

Donnie Yen, who attended the press conference held by the museum Thursday, said it was not easy to be a wax figure model, and "it took me hours".

He was also fascinated by the variety of sample hair, eye balls, teeth and tools that the sculptors used.

The wax figure will be unveiled in late April.

Madame Tussauds HK, the first permanent Madame Tussauds in Asia, opened in August 2000, featuring over 100 local and international celebrity wax figures in six themed areas.

The other eight Madame Tussauds wax museums are located in London, New York, Las Vegas, Amsterdam, Shanghai, Washington D.C., Berlin and Hollywood.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

IP MAN 2 Shooting Diary Revealed as Yen Calls it Quits....

By Mark Pollard | Published March 10, 2010

Have you grown tired of all the Yip/Ip Man-related film projects yet? Donnie Yen, star of IP MAN and IP MAN 2 has. He has made it clear to Chinese media that after IP MAN 2, which now has an earlier Asian release date of April 29, Yen will have nothing more to do with films pertaining to the Wing Chun master.

“This will be my final film on the subject,” said Yen. “Whenever something becomes a success, everyone would jump on the bandwagon. This is very frightening. Did you know how many IP MAN films are in production? Under such condition we would not progress. It’d only lead to over-saturation of the subject matter.”

In addition to IP MAN 2, directed by Wilson Yip, there are two other major Yip Man films coming out in 2010. One is Wong Kar-wai’s long in development biopic THE GRAND MASTER, starring Tony Leung Chiu-wai and Herman Yau’s THE LEGEND IS BORN: IP MAN, starring real-life Wing Chun practitioner Tu Yu-hang as a younger Yip Man.

As of last year, Taiwanese producer Yang Pei-pei (FLYING DAGGERS) has also been reportedly trying to get a 40-episode TV series on the life of Yip Man made as well.

In case your answer is no to my initial question of whether or not you’ve had enough of Yip Man – I certainly haven’t – here are two shooting diary clips from IP MAN 2. They reveal more action, including a brief glimpse of a fast-moving bout between Yen and Sammo Hung.

I really wish some of the shots in this behind-the-scenes footage end up in the movie. I’m talking about the wide angles and even the raw audio of Sammo’s kiai. The speed of Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung is impressive. This is what kung fu in the 21st century should look like. There is clearly a high degree of speed, precision, power, and intensity that exists on set, some of which can actually get lost or deemphasized by a director’s sometimes stifling vision. This is the kind of movie where the cameras should just pull back and let the screen fighters take charge.
    RAYNYSC

April 29

There's a few subsidiary articles in the wake of this THR one today on the web.
    Donnie Yen set for 'Ip Man' sequel
    Martial arts film to be released April 29 in Hong Kong, China
    By Karen Chu

March 21, 2010, 07:50 PM ET
    HONG KONG -- Donnie Yen fights Western powers in "Ip Man 2," the sequel to the 200 million yuan ($29.3 million) grossing 2008 Chinese hit, the films' producer Raymond Wong told The Hollywood Reporter.

Scheduled for release April 29 in Hong Kong and China, the $10 million sequel on the martial arts master will hold a press conference Monday at Filmart.

"Ip Man 2" marks the last film Wong will produce for Mandarin Films, the company he founded in 1991. He resigned from the position of chairman in 2009 and remains as a director and shareholder.

The next films he produces will be under Pegasus Motion Pictures, the production outfit he set up with son Edmond. Upcoming will be an untitled action drama starring Louis Koo, who has signed with Pegasus, a HK$60 million seven-picture deal including the recent comedy "All's Well Ends Well Too 2010," and a project with longtime collaborator Donnie Yen.

"Ip Man 2," helmed by the original's director Wilson Yip, written by Edmond Wong and featured action choreography by Sammo Hung, follows the story of the original blockbuster biopic and details the renowned Wing Chun expert's life after he relocated to Hong Kong from Southern China and his struggle to survive in the then-British colony by teaching martial arts.

"The film deals with how Hong Kong people were treated under British colonial rule, and Western attitudes concerning Chinese kung fu," Wong said. "In the first 'Ip Man,' Donnie Yen fought Japanese invaders; in this installment, he fights boxing Westerners with Wing Chun."

Wong intended for the premise to appeal to the audience in China, where nationalistic sentiments run high.

"The Chinese audience responded enthusiastically to the depiction of the traditional culture of martial arts in the original, and they appreciated the fact that the film was more than just a kung fu actioner, but also a drama with a nationalistic undertone, as in the portrayal of the Chinese resistance against Japanese invasion," Wong said. The title character also fights opposite Sammo Hung, who plays a grand master of Hung Kuen, a traditional discipline of martial arts.

But before the series turns into the "Rocky" of China, where the title character faced opponents of different nationalities in consecutive installments, producer Wong said they would give him a rest, especially in light of the competing Ip Man projects, such as Wong Kar-wai's "The Grand Master" under his own Jet Tone and China's Sil-Metropole, and the Herman Yau-directed prequel "Young Ip Man" for National Arts Entertainment.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Some new trailers

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Opening this week...

...if you're in Asia...

Yip Man 2 continues kungfu legend
    2010-04-26 13:26 BJT

As the opening selection for the Beijing Student Film Festival, "Yip Man 2", the sequel of last year's biopic about Kungfu master Yip Man, is getting a lot of attention even before its general release at the end of April.

Based on the success of the first installment, producers have high expectations for "Yip Man 2". Next, Culture Express shines its spotlight on this highly anticipated movie.

"Yip Man 2" sees the re-pairing of Director Wilson Yip and kung-fu star Donnie Yen as they try to repeat the magic of the original award-winning Yip Man blockbuster. The sequel will be released next Thursday, April 29th, and run through the May-day holiday.

The sequel is about Yip Man being elevated from a master and hero, to a grandmaster. The plot focuses on disputes between the disciples of two schools of Kungfu... Yip Man's school Wing Chun and another, Hung Ga. The conflict and rivalry between the two practitioners is ultimately set aside as they combine forces to fight against British colonial rule in Shanghai.

Besides the director Wilson Yip and lead actor Donnie Yen, co-stars Lynn Xiong, Simon Yan, and Louis Fan reprise their roles from the first installment. Some new cast members include Huang Xiaoming and Sammo Hung. Huang plays an outstanding disciple of Yip Man. But making a film is challenging for him... in real life, Huang is a layman of Kungfu.

Huang Xiaoming, actor, said, "On the first day I fought with Donnie Yen, I knew it was not a job that could be done by normal people. I was about to quit. It was not like fighting with a dummy, cause a dummy would move if you strike it. But his arm is totally hard, there is no way to slack off even a little."

Donnie Yen, actor, said, "While we were shooting, I told him I'd been fighting with real opponents for over twenty years. And you have to fight with the hard bones. After so many years, I have gotten used to it. And in his case, his face turned pale, his arms couldn't be raised up, and it seemed that he couldn't stand it any more. I came up to him... asked him "are you OK?" He says, "I'm OK, I can make it". I said to him, "Have a rest." And when he really couldn't bear it any more, we let him have a rest. But in less than five minutes, he said, "let's go on." I appreciate such spirit in him."

Compared to "Yip Man" 1, the highlight of this movie is the fighting between the two kungfu schools Wing Chun and Hung Ga. And playing the master of Hung Ga is none other than Sammo Hung, the choreographer of the kungfu sequences of movie. Hung cooperated with Wilson Yip and Donnie Yen in the 2005 movie "Sha Po Lang", where Hung and Yen fought against each other. But this time, the fighting scenes of the two are said to be more wonderful and heart stopping.

At the end of 2008, "Yip Man" 1 turned out to be a black horse in the year-end film market bringing in 100 million yuan, or close to 15 million US dollars. It pocketed Best Film at the Hong Kong Film Awards the following year. Donnie Yen's portrayal of the Kungfu master won him the title of "King of Kungfu".

Donnie Yen said, "I think for an actor, if someone calls you your role's name, it's a big success. From last year till now, I have a new name "Yip Man". Since the film won tremendous applause from the audience, we've cherished the honor very much. The whole crew and I are trying our best to shoot a sequel that both makes Chinese proud, and dazzles the whole world, to see how splendid Chinese culture is. This Yip Man might be the last one of Yip Man series. But we'll continue to shoot films that introduce the essence of Chinese culture to the world."

"Yip Man 2" won wide applause from college students during its screening at the Beijing Student Film Festival. It is expected to arouse both admiration for Kungfu and patriotism from the general audience when it is released next Thursday.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

i greatly enjoyed the first one, and am always happy to see sammo hung in a movie...but i think they should have just left well-enough alone.

the first one rocked, love donnie yen cant wait to see this one. Thought it was going to be anotherr run of the mill kung fu flick it was an extremely well done bio pic, great photography , great music, little was lost having to read the subtitles, my mandarin is a little rusty.

The reviews are coming in

I just realized that this thread is mis-titled. The Legend is Born — Ip Man is not Ip Man 2. I'm changing that now.
    FILM REVIEW: Ip Man is back … and more or less the same
    The fictionalized life story of kung fu master Ip Man continues in Hong Kong under British colonial rule
    By Ho Yi
    STAFF REPORTER
    Friday, Apr 30, 2010, Page 16

FILM NOTES
    Ip Man 2 (葉問2)

Directed by:
    Wilson Yip (葉偉信)

Starring:
    Donnie Yen (甄子丹) as Ip Man, Samm o Hung (洪金寶) as Hung Chun-nam, Huang Xiaoming (黃曉明) as Wong Leung, Ly nn Dailin Xiong (熊黛林) as Zhang Yong Cheng

Running time:
    104 minutes

Language:
    In Cantonese and English with English and Chinese subtitles

Since its release last year, the immensely successful Ip Man (葉問) has elevated its eponymous grandmaster of the wing chun (詠春) martial arts school to an icon of Chinese kung fu and propelled action star Donnie Yen (甄子丹) to superstardom.

The highly anticipated sequel, Ip Man 2 (葉問2), closely follows the format that made its predecessor a blockbuster hit. But this time the Chinese hero-versus-foreign invaders narrative is fleshed out without wire fu or CGI-enhanced martial arts moves.

Yen is joined by action director Sammo Hung (洪金寶), who plays a supporting but important role in the follow-up that won’t disappoint fans, though it doesn’t offer many surprises.

The story begins with Ip Man (Yen) fleeing to Hong Kong having defeated the Japanese general in Foshan. To support his family, Ip Man sets up a wing chun academy. But as a newcomer to the British colony, the unassuming kung fu master soon catches the attention of master Hung of the powerful Hung Ga school. Respected by various martial arts schools, Hung insists that, in order to earn his right to teach wing chun in Hong Kong, Ip Man must win duels against local masters.

The challenge leads to a masterfully choreographed fight between Ip Man and Hung that dazzles with its sheer intensity and virtuosity, a scene that deserves to be considered one of the most memorable fighting sequences in kung fu cinema.

The duel ends in a draw, and despite the combatants’ differences, the two come to respect each other’s skills and integrity.

As with the first installment, the second half of the film follows the martial arts hero rising up against foreign oppressors. Only this time, it is not the villainous Japanese our Chinese hero does battle with, but an evil white man in the form of boxing champion Twister (Darren Shahlavi), who brutally beats master Hung to death in what was supposed to be a friendly match.

Outraged, Ip Man challenges the vicious pugilist to a final battle in front of a cheering crowd.

Veteran martial arts star Hung once again creates the adrenaline-pumping, close-range combat sequences that show Yen fighting his way through a fish market melee, tabletop duel and ringside battle.

Director Wilson Yip (葉偉信) and scriptwriter Edmond Wong (黃子桓) neatly tie these action sequences closely to the plot.

One thing that this old-school kung fu fare has gone too far with, however, is its overly caricatured portrait of foreign villains. Though in the first Ip Man movie, the Japanese general, played by Hiroyuki Ikeuchi, seems to have a shred of humanity left within him, the white men in the follow-up are comically wicked and corrupt, prompting the contemporary viewer to wonder why the villains are still as embarrassingly witless and one-dimensional as they were in Bruce Lee’s (李小龍) heyday.

Despite its plot holes, the Ip Man series has potential and recalls the 1990s’ Once Upon a Time in China (黃飛鴻) franchise starring Jet Li (李連杰). The brief appearance toward the end of the film of a young Bruce Lee, Ip Man’s famous disciple, hints at the possibility of another sequel, though Yen has reportedly said he won’t be in another Ip Man movie.

What is certain is that competing Ip Man projects will soon hit the silver screen, including Wong Kar-wai’s (王家衛) The Grand Master (一代宗師), currently in development, and Herman Yau’s (邱禮濤) prequel The Legend is Born — Ip Man (葉問前傳), slated for commercial release in July.
    Cinema: Spirit of Wing Chun lives
    2010/04/28
    PHILIP LIM
    nstent@nst.com.my
    OPENS TODAY : IP MAN 2

Directed by Wilson Yip
    Starring Donnie Yen, Sammo Hung, Lynn Hung and Huang Xiaoming

WITH the great success of Ip Man last year, it was inevitable that a sequel would follow close on its heels. True to its original concept, Ip Man 2 continues with the sifu and his family moving to Hong Kong in 1949.

From a man of means in Foshan, China, Ip Man was reduced to living in a decrepit rented room and surviving on almost nothing. As a result of greatly reduced circumstances, Ip Man (Donnie Yen) started advertising his Wing Chun martial arts.

Initially, nothing happened but Ip Man didn’t lose hope. One day, a brash young man Wong Leung (Huang Xiao-ming) went to the rooftop where Ip Man was waiting for his students.

But instead of signing up as a student, Wong challenged Ip Man to a duel. After he was soundly beaten, Wong brought along his friends and they all became Ip Man’s first batch of students. The story of Ip Man and his slow rise from adversity in British colony Hong Kong would touch the hearts of many Chinese who remembered what it was like immediately after the war. Thankfully, this sequel has not lost its direction and has retained its essence of its successful original.

The earthy colours of the entire film reflect the mood of Ip Man’s early years. Even though Part 1 had a more heart-rending tale, Ip Man 2 carried more action-packed scenes.

Much of the angst in this sequel can be credited to the appearance of Sammo Hung, who was the action director for Part 1 & 2 of Ip Man. He played Master Hung of the Hung School of martial arts.

As top dog in that part of colony where Ip Man made his home, Hung collected money from all the other wushu centres, so that order may be maintained. Ip Man was at odds with Hung’s practices and they settled their feud with an exciting match on a round table-top.

The table-top wushu scenes are arguably the most exciting in the entire film. Hung’s practical approach to the realities of life was in total contrast to Ip Man’s philosophy.

Although both men were not the best of friends, there was an inherent understanding of the core principles of wushu that linked both their lives together. Although the fight scenes are in no way more extraordinary, the tenets of brotherhood, honour, loyalty and the indefatigable spirit of human dignity form the foundation of Ip Man 2. For those who have enjoyed Part 1, the sequel has illuminated the Wing Chun path that Ip Man has painstakingly paved in the ghettos of Hong Kong. The strength of Ip Man 2 must be attributed once again to Donnie Yen who has delivered a superb portrayal of Wing Chun master Ip Man.

The persona of Ip Man has been exemplified in Yen’s onscreen gentle demeanour, scholarly bearing and philosophical mien. Simon Yam also returned to reprise his role as Ip Man’s best friend Chow Ching-chuen.

Although his role was minor and tragic, Yam gave credence to some of the personal pains that Ip Man suffered in a new chapter of his life. Other players in Ip Man 2 include Fatso (Kent Cheng), a Chinese police officer who was in cahoots with his British superiors but later redeemed himself, and Leung Kan (Pierre Ngo), the chief editor of the Chinese daily who faced great odds to expose the truth to the people. What cinematic biographical account of Ip Man would be complete without the mention of his most famous pupil, Bruce Lee? So I was a little disappointed when Bruce Lee showed up in the dying minutes of the film. A plucky kid introduced himself to sifu Ip Man as Lee Siao Loong, he rubbed his nose with his right thumb and says he wanted to learn Wing Chun because he wanted to beat up those people he doesn’t like. Ip Man laughed, shook his head and the rest was history. Fans of Ip Man and worldwide practitioners of this wushu art would be pleased to know that the spirit of Wing Chun is still very much alive in this film. Director Yip Wai-shun had taken great pains not to deviate too far from the path of his original success.

After all, Ip Man did win Best Picture at the 28th Hong Kong Films Awards last year. Thus, it is expected that wushu fans will be as greatly entertained by the well choreographed fight scenes in this sequel as they have been in Part 1.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

early 2011?

Don't these people know that all of us fans will have seen the DVD long before early 2011?
    Well Go Picks Up ‘Ip Man’
    By : Chris Tribbey | Posted: 27 Apr 2010
    ctribbey@questex.com

Well Go USA has picked up the North American rights to Ip Man and Ip Man 2, two Chinese martial arts films starring Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen.

Semi-autobiographical in nature, the films are based on the life of Ip Man, a martial arts master who was the first to teach the Wing Chun style openly. He was teacher and mentor to Bruce Lee.

“Ip Man is an amazing story, and the film has had such a phenomenal response overseas from critics and audiences alike that I am so proud to be able to bring it to the American audience,” said Doris Pfardrescher, Well Go president of home entertainment. “This acquisition is a big move forward for Well Go USA especially as the popularity of Asian cinema continues to grow in North America.”

The first film pulled in more than $21 million at the Asian box office and won Best Film honors at the Hong Kong Film Awards. Well Go will release it on DVD July 27.

The second film will see a limited theatrical release in the United States in early 2011.

“No one ever imagined that Ip Man would be such a huge sensation,” said producer Raymond Wong. “The box office success and public praise of Ip Man did not only create a public longing for the sequel, it also inspired the production team to work together again.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nope. They will think the opposite.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.