Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sutra

Going to NC

That's it? NYC & NC for their 2010 US tour?
    Current Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 12:33:41 -0500
    ‘Sutra’ features Buddhist monks and western flair
    By ATAR STAV | The Daily Tar Heel
    Updated: 1:03 AM

Junior Patrick Spaugh poses with the Shaolin Monks of “Sutra” as they tour UNC, one of two spots in which “Sutra” will perform in the U.S.
    SEE “SUTRA”

Time: 7:30 p.m. Wed. and Thurs.
    Tickets: $10 students, $30-$85 public
    Info: www.carolinaperformingarts.org

For Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, martial arts and Buddhist traditions are more than just lifelong interests — he blends them with his own unique background to form a spectacle of modern dance.

This spectacle, called “Sutra,” will only be performed at two venues in the United States on this world tour.

One of these venues is UNC’s Memorial Hall, as a part of the University’s Carolina Performing Arts series.

“In a lot of ways, ‘Sutra’ is one of, if not the performance to see in 2010,” said Sean McKeithan, marketing and communications coordinator for Carolina Performing Arts.

“Sutra” will showcase Eastern traditions through Western dance. Buddhist monks from China’s Shaolin Temple will perform a dance Cherkaoui created after spending months in their monastery.

Cherkaoui is a Flemish-Moroccan choreographer who specializes in contemporary dance.

In order to learn about the traditions of Buddhism, Cherkaoui traveled to the Shaolin Temple, one of the most renowned Buddhist monasteries in the world.

While at the monastery, Cherkaoui worked alongside Shaolin monks to choreograph the dance for his performance piece, as his Western heritage blended contemporary dance with Eastern teachings and performance art.

“He has had a lifelong interest in Buddhism and disciplines of martial arts in general,” said Harry Kaplowitz, marketing manager for Carolina Performing Arts.

“He wanted to create a piece, a performance that centers around these traditions.”

Seventeen Shaolin monks perform in the piece alongside Cherkaoui himself, who adds a “Western presence” to the performance, Kaplowitz said.

Cherkaoui collaborated with British sculpture artist Antony Gormley to create the set for “Sutra,” creating 21 large wooden boxes with which the dancers perform.

The score was written by Polish composer Szymon Brzoska. Brzoska’s music is played live during the performance.

“This is the work of many creative minds coming together,” Kaplowitz said.

Since its debut in 2008, “Sutra” has been presented worldwide, gaining a favorable reputation.

The performances in Memorial Hall are one of two U.S. appearances for the ensemble. The other is at the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts in New York City.

“It’s a big accomplishment for us to bring [Sutra],” said McKeithan. “It’s a huge, exciting thing to offer to our patrons.”

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

in Prague

Tanec Praha
    Festival presents premiere international dance troupes
    Posted: June 8, 2011
    By Johana Mücková - For the Post

The 23rd edition of Tanec Praha, the country's biggest international dance festival, is now under way, bringing top-quality dance shows and stars from around the world with projects that Prague audiences have never had the chance to see.

The main attraction of this year's program is a performance titled Sutra (Music Theater Karlín, June 25-27). Created by Flemish choreographer Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui and premiered at London Sadler's Wells Theater three years ago, Sutra is a real treat for lovers of acrobatics and Chinese martial arts, as well as for demanding audiences of contemporary dance. This unusual project features 17 young monks from 12 to 26 years old from the original Shaolin temple in the Chinese province of Henan. The monks follow a strict Buddhist doctrine, in which kung fu and tai chi are an integral part of their daily regimes.

Sutra is a product of long-term research: Cherkaoui has a longstanding interest in Shaolin tradition and, while preparing the piece, spent several months at the Shaolin temple working with the monks and exploring their philosophy and faith. The result is a five-star performance that combines dance, music and design. Authentic motion is accompanied by live acoustic music, and together it makes for an incredible 70-minute show.

"No fan of theater or dance should miss it," Yvona Kreuzmannová, director of Tanec Praha, tells The Prague Post. "Cherkaoui will come to Prague in person, which makes this event even more unique, and Prague is one of the last cities to host this extremely successful project on its world tour."
    Tanec Praha

When: June 6-29
    Where: Ponec Theater, Music Theater Karlín, The New Stage of the National Theater
    Tickets: 100-1090 Kč, available through Ticketpro, Ticketportal, Ticket-art, Ticketstream and at the venues
    For more information, see Tanecpraha.cz

Another top event of the 2011 Czech dance season will be Vertical Road, a brand-new piece by British artist Akram Khan (Music Theater Karlín, June 29). Working with a group of extraordinary dancers from Asia, Europe and the Middle East, Khan has created a fascinating performance inspired by the mystic Sufi tradition and the works of Persian poet and philosopher Rumi.

"Vertical Road is not a torrent of attractive effects, but a concentrated, darkened, gradually unfolding performance that slowly pulls the audience in with a perfect interplay of choreography, artistically designed sets, costumes, lighting and original music," Kreuzmannová says.

Local performers at Tanec Praha include 420People (New Stage, June 28). This contemporary dance unit, formed by Nederlands Dans Theater (NDT) alumni Václav Kuneš and Nataša Novotná, invited the Canadian choreographer Crystal Pite and her company Kidd Pivot Frankfurt RM to cooperate with them. The night will feature Pite's duet The Other You performed by Canadian dancer Eric Beauchesne and excellent Czech dancer Jiří Pokorný, who is also a former dancer from NDT. Pite is a renowned choreographer who has collaborated with celebrated dance artists around the world, and this will be her first stop in Czech Republic. In her work, Pite uses specific choreographic language, fusing classical movement elements and structured improvisation. 420People will once again feature two of their great shows, Reen and Sacrebleu. Both choreographies premiered in November 2010 and have since been very successful with audiences.

Other appealing ensembles include RootlessRoot Company (Ponec Theater, June 8 and 9), Compagnia Zappala Danza (The New Stage, June 15) or Louise Lecavalier (Ponec Theater, June 19 and 20).

Tanec Praha is again expanding its reach in the Czech Republic this year, staging performances in Brno, České Budějovice, Český Krumlov, Choceň, Pardubice, Plzeň, Olomouc, Ostrava and Valašské Meziříčí. The festival also has a rich program for children aged 5 to 15. Ponec Theater will host dance-theater projects by the groups Stage Code (June 10), Kyklos Galaktikos (June 17) and VerTeDance (June 24), as well as the creative tandem of Jana Látalová (Hudečková) and Marta Trpišovská (June 23).

Like every year, Tanec Praha will provide spectators with an opportunity to experience new artistic visions and enjoy the best of what is being created on the contemporary dance stage. Whatever your tastes in dance, the festival is well worth a visit.
    Technically speaking, you can't have a monk that is 12. That would be a shami. Monks have to be 18, or thereabout.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

In Abu Dhabi

Sutra marries martial mysticism to physicality of dance
    Feargus O'Sullivan
    Mar 25, 2012

The dancers are Chinese, the choreographer is Flemish Moroccan, the set designer is British and the composer is Polish - dance, martial arts and music performance; Sutra could hardly be more international if it tried.

This stunning piece, appearing as part of the Abu Dhabi Festival tomorrow, is a remarkable blend of kung fu and contemporary dance created by the monks of the Shaolin Temple in Henan province, China, and the edgy Belgian choreographer Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui. But while it has been very successful internationally, Cherkaoui says the collaboration happened almost by chance.

"I first visited the Shaolin Temple in 2007," he explains. "I had the feeling that something in Shaolin martial arts was similar to contemporary dance, but mainly I was just desperate to get away from Europe, to be around people who thought in a completely different way. There I met the head of the temple's warrior monks - who is also an accomplished artist in calligraphy and music himself - and we began a discussion about choreography. He was interested, and willing to see me try something with the younger monks, so we started working together."

While Cherkaoui shared some common ground with the monks - he's a teetotal, yoga-practising vegetarian - finding a way to share ideas proved difficult at first.

"The monks are used to presenting their work as demonstrations of, say, three minutes' length, but to make a performance about their whole philosophy took a lot of work to find the right forms. The monks, luckily, are very culturally open and are completely connected with the reality of the 21st century. Some of them were familiar with hip-hop dancing, which after all is similar to kung fu movement. I started by bringing some of my dancers who did hip-hop to work with them. Slowly, they would realise there are many ways of moving, and that style might define people but it doesn't have to limit them."

This cross-cultural fusion deepened further with the arrival of the British sculptor Antony Gormley, best known for the vast Angel of the North sculpture outside Gateshead, England. After discussions with Cherkaoui, Gormley created 21 human-sized wooden boxes that the performers would rock, shift, climb on and enter to suggest tombs, skyscrapers, trees, plinths and even dominoes. A sculptural statement that is also mobile, Gormley's boxes help to shape the Shaolin monks' incredible physical prowess and discipline into an exploration of their beliefs.

"Whenever we were using the boxes," says Cherkaoui, "we were showing that a material never really disappears, but just transforms instead. If you chop down a tree and make a house out of it, you have killed a tree but also made a house."

This also affected a key area of the piece, he said - "the tension between being individual and being part of a community".

A chance meeting between Cherkaoui and the Polish composer Szymon Brzóska, whose music (performed live) became an integral part of Sutra, added another layer of meanings to the piece.

"This young composer came to me after a show and wanted me to listen to his music. It was so melancholic, had such emotional power, that it really suited the monks and helped make the piece more lyrical. Their movements can be very martial and harsh sometimes, with an elegance not always visible on the surface. This sad, lyrical music helped emphasise the fluidity rather than the percussion of their movement."

So what sort of impression might Sutra make in an extremely international city such as Abu Dhabi? In some ways, the piece provides a model for creative, respectful intercultural dialogue that is sure to have resonance in the Emirates. Cherkaoui believes that sitting between many cultures encourages people to question and reshape their values in a healthy way, something he himself experienced.

"Because I came from two cultures, I was working with value systems from an early age," he says. "I knew my Moroccan father's values were different from my European mother's, but that neither was wrong. I realised back then that while people value purity, it doesn't exist."

Stepping over the boundaries between traditions imagined to be pure and exclusive can be extremely productive, as Cherkaoui learnt in China.

"In many parts of the world, especially in Europe, we usually feel we have to choose between spirit and body," he says. "In the Shaolin Temple, both of these come together without contradiction. I found this incredibly powerful. The reason why I do dance is to connect the two, to engage people's minds in a physical way."
    Well said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

In Abu Dhabi

Dance the body music
    Silvia Radan
    31 March 2012

It took 800 years and 30 generations of monks for the Shaolin Temple to receive and accept a dancing proposal.

It all started in 2007, when one of the world’s most daring choreographers, Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, left the comforts of his Flemish home and travelled to the Shaolin Temple in China to fulfil a childhood dream: encountering the extraordinary people who have the ability and power to make the body and the mind work as one. And this is how Sutra was born.

Something on the lines of a surreal poem or a Cubist painting, Sutra is a dance that challenges the very concept of dancing, using a lot of martial arts, abstract movement and physical effort. From its premiere in London in 2008 to its world tour shows, Sutra enchanted audiences and critics alike. Its last performance was here, at the Emirates Palace last week, part of the ongoing Abu Dhabi Festival (ADF).

Choreographed by Cherkaoui for the renown Sadler’s Wells dance company of London, it is performed by 17 Shaolin monks on Szymon Brzoska’s beautiful East meets West contemporary music, using Antony Gormley’s clever stage design — 21 wooden boxes moved about as in a jigsaw puzzle to represent anything from a coffin to a city.

Cherkaoui himself is in the performance, as the only non-Shaolin Temple dancer, representing the “outsider”, the parallel world, the spectator.

“Sutra is a reflection on the temple and meeting the temple. My character on stage represents the audience going inside of the performance, finding also the relation between the community and the individual and how they influence each other,” explained Cherkaoui.

“There are a lot of poetic images created by the boxes, with which we make different universes, different sets where the story unfolds, which is in between abstract and concrete. It speaks about tradition and about the future, how in the present we are in a constant struggle about keeping our tradition and thinking about where it’s gonna go”.

Born in Belgium in 1976 to a Flemish mother and a Moroccan father, Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui began dancing professionally at 16 years old. He worked with a contemporary dance company, but in parallel he also joined hip-hop and modern jazz dance groups. Later he joined Les Ballets C de la B company, where he debuted as a choreographer in 1999 with Anonymous Society, for which he received three international awards. From here on his career just kept on growing, along with his creativity and ingenuity as a choreographer.

In 2007 he felt the need to get away from Europe and renew his sources of inspiration. Thus, he arrived at the Shaolin Temple, built in the 5th century on the peak of Mount Song, one of the Sacred Mountains of China. For centuries, the temple has been equally famous for Chinese martial arts, in particular Kung Fu and Thai Chi, and the teachings of Zen Buddhism.

Having the privilege to spend time and learn from the Shaolin monks, Cherkaoui wanted to repay them in a more meaningful way than cash.

“From the beginning they were very opened to the idea, being fascinated by the concept of choreography,” said Cherkaoui.

“Let’s not forget that they are very used to present formal martial arts in the form of demonstrations. In many ways, they also have to choreograph, so they are used to having movements set in a certain way. When I went there and saw them train I saw choreography.”

Nonetheless, the Shaolin “dancers”, who were selected among the warrior monks of the temple, were intrigued by the western concept of choreography. Occasionally, a dance move shown to them by Cherkaoui would remind them of their martial arts. Perhaps that is why Cherkaoui no longer makes a difference between choreographing Kung Fu and western dance.

“It’s about the body,” he stressed.

“I’m working with martial arts and I’m choreographing martial arts, but the moment an arm goes up, who says it’s martial arts or it’s dance? It depends on your own references, but if you have no references – and that is kind of what I’m hoping the audience will open up to – is to stop having references and just experience the motion. I think in this time we live in we should learn see things again with less prejudice and references are a form of prejudice.”

Working with the monks was a “great” experience for Cherkaoui. “We laughed a lot,” he said. From the moment he arrived, Cherkaoui was quite surprised by life at the temple. The monks we allowed to use mobile phones and listen to pop music. On the other hand, in deep freezing temperatures they didn’t feel the need to use heating radiators. While the monks were learning about various dance styles and moves from Cherkaoui and several other western dancers that he brought with him, the choreographer too learnt about martial arts moves, some of them so beautiful and graceful up in the air, but with the power to kill.

A great help for him at the temple was Shi Yan Zhuang, the temple leader of the warrior monks.

“I love street dance,” admitted Shi Yan.

“The choreographer brought some of his friends dancers from a hip-hop company to the temple and we loved watching them dance.”

Fun aside, for him, as for the other monks, there is no difference between Kung Fu, Tai-chi — which the Shaolin created — and dance, other than styles.

“They are all like a doctor. Doctor can heal people; doctor can cure people; doctor can make you look more beautiful. These are all different treatments, but it is all done by the doctor. No matter what it is, Kung Fu, Tai-chi or dance, it is just a way of showing people a message,” explained Shi Yan.

A universal message is indeed what Cherkaoui created with Sutra.

In Buddhism, the term sutra (Sanskrit for “thread”) refers mostly to the sermons recited by Buddha, teachings that praised the harmony and acceptance of life and of all leaving creatures. Using the specially composed music of Szymon Brzoska, which, unusual for a dance performance, was played live on stage, without distracting from the dance, though, and the one-side opened body-size wooden boxes designed by Turner Prize winning artist Antony Gormley, Cherkaoui translated the Shaolin Zen philosophy into dance.

Here was a monk embodying a frog or a scorpion through very difficult, yet graceful, martial arts moves. In another sequence, the monks, now dressed in black suites, built a city out of their boxes and were acting like busy businessmen, only to crumble down, along with their “tower blocks”, which could not last an eternity. Dragged, kicked, stacked, the boxes, created different stories or different symbols, from a bookshelf to a graveyard and even a lotus flower and the thread between these stories was a 12-year-old monk, who kept suggesting what is there to come.
    Thai Chi. That's taiji with lemongrass and peanut sauce.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Still running

Sutra is the only performance tour that the Abbot acknowledged in my most recent interview with him in our Shaolin Special 2013.
    Shaolin Monks Storm The Stage In Sutra At Sadler’s Wells
    By Tamara Vos · April 4, 2013 at 14:00 pm

Before you go further, kind reader be warned: the following review is filled with exclamations and clichéd phrases that we’d have previously been ashamed to use, but Sutra demands it.

This piece is extraordinary.

There’s nothing to explain and there’s no need for background: it’s 20 Shaolin monks with 20 man-sized boxes on an empty stage. They toy with space, with shape, with unison and symmetry, and the visual impact of all this is truly astounding.

There’s no story, just an affinity between a Western man and a tiny, 10-year-old monk who together face the other monks in frame after frame of movement and sculpture. The ‘dance’ here is kung-fu and tai-chi, performed with a grace and fluidity that is almost balletic. The identical wooden boxes (designed by sculptor Antony Gormley) are shuffled, stacked, lined up and dropped with the monks disappearing and reappearing between them; the minimalism and simplicity of all this is raw and beautiful.

And the music. Composed by Szymon Brzoska and performed by violin, cello, piano and percussion, it’s a triumphant feat of composition. Whilst dance and music are time-old partners, Sutra is one of those incredibly rare instances where the two are interchangeable, where music, prop and movement are in perfect balance with one another.

The only thing is that there was something close to An Idiot Abroad in watching a Western man play dumb in the face of Shaolin warrior monks. But this really is the faintest of quibbles; it works, it’s pleasing and it received laughs. The piece ends with a climactic surge of energy that was truly breath-taking, and left the audience roaring.

Sutra is incredibly beautiful. An ethereal piece that gives insight into an alien world of discipline and spirituality, it leaves the grime of London squawking at the theatre door. It’s only running for another three nights so for God’s sake, if you have the means to a ticket, go.

That’s really all there is to say.

Sutra is running now until 6 April at Sadler’s Wells, Angel. For more information visit the Sadler’s Wells website. Londonist saw this show on a complimentary review ticket.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Oxford

22nd March
    Why 19 kung-fu kicking Shaolin monks are coming to Oxford

You couldn’t make it up if you tried. Take 19 Buddhist monks from the Shaolin Temple in China who specialise in kung fu, combine them with world famous sculptor Antony Gormley and leading choreographer Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui and produce an epic dance piece worthy of Sadler’s Wells.

The result - Sutra - has now been seen by over 160,000 people worldwide and has been a phenomenal global success. Now on its 10th anniversary tour Sutra is coming to Oxford for the first time, something Suzanne Walker, Executive Producer is very excited about.

“It is just a very special project, and while we produce a lot of work here at Sadlers Wells this was totally unique. We wanted to think outside the box so while kung fu is the main language and you are watching the masters at work, it is an incredible spectacle and very exciting to watch.

"The Shaolin monks are the best ambassadors of their craft, because they demonstrate the movements in a positive way. They know this will be many people's first experience of Chinese culture and use it as an opportunity to bridge any cultural divides, combining our two cultures through kung fu.

"So we wanted to lock into that wonderful energy and its Buddhist philosophy by underpinning it, which results in a really beautiful and incredibly moving piece."

So how did it evolve? "Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui went to the temple and lived there while researching the piece because it was all new to him.

"He didn't want to impose a style or aesthetic on them, but to learn from them, and then knit that into a new shape and direction of work to bring a fresh perspective."

The result? An energetic, dynamic, intense dance form rarely seen before, a trailblazer that Sadlers Wells then ran with, going on to develop pieces such as Butoh with Japan and Tanguera via Argentina.

"And yet the audience doesn't know what to expect and we are proud of that," Suzanne adds, "regardless of how successful Sutra has been."

And what of the realities, practicalities, training and touring of an elite core of young Shaolin monks?

"It was a steep learning curve for them as well and took time for them to understand what we were asking.

"But once they understood the aesthetic and vibe of the piece, it all fitted into place, bringing everything together, joining the two worlds in a continual dance with some exquisite examples of martial arts."

Of course the initial team of monks have slowly been replaced with new ones over the years, but the temple is happy with the continual transferral of its finest proteges, knowing that it promotes the right ethics and spreads the word:

“We wanted everyone to experience the joys of this show, so Sutra has travelled to the far-flung corners of the globe from Japan to new York and Chile," Suzanne confirms.

"Few productions have made an impact like this, changing the art form of dance as we know it, so it has been a challenging but wonderful collaboration that we are still extremely proud of."

Sutra, New Theatre, March 23-24. atgtickets.com. 0844 8713020
    I still haven't seen this show and would love to. Anyone here see it yet?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tricycle review

Shaolin Monks Kick, Flip, and Dance in the Martial Arts Ballet Sutra
    Kung fu acrobatics serve as more than just cheap tricks in a skillful and evocative performance.
    By Emma Varvaloucas OCT 22, 2018

Photo by Hugo Glendinning

What would it look like if New York City Ballet’s corps of ballerinas were replaced by 20 kung fu Buddhist monks? Sutra, from Belgian-Moroccan choreographer Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, is as close of an answer as you’re likely to get. The hourlong performance, which melds contemporary dance with the fighting techniques of China’s famous Shaolin martial arts, is an impressive display of acrobatics. It is also touching, and often surprisingly humorous.

Onstage, Cherkaoui, 42, joins the Chan Buddhist monks—one of whom can’t be more than seven years old—as well as 20 human-sized boxes, all wooden except for Cherkaoui’s, which is silver. It’s a marker of his outsider status. While Cherkaoui engages with the monks throughout, until the show’s crescendo, he’s set apart from them. You get the sense that the monks are aspirational, always just a bit out of reach or a beat ahead (although Cherkaoui is a gifted dancer as well, and shows us his own skills). It’s a genuine, sweet exploration that will resonate with any spiritual seeker.

The boxes, conceptualized by British sculptor Antony Gormley, are as much a part of the choreography as the dancers themselves. Dragged around, stacked, put together like a puzzle and broken apart again—these simple props create complex worlds. Sometimes they are a lifeboat or a coffin. Sometimes they are ramparts or doorways. Frequently they’re used as a technique to add levity by hiding the performers before they fly out of their boxes with flips, kicks, and spins.

Photo by Andree Lanthier

Sutra premiered a decade ago but remains fresh. In 2007, Cherkaoui began the process of working with the monks, who hail from the original Shaolin Monastery in eastern China. Developed during the Sui and Tang dynasties (581–618 CE and 618–907 CE) to protect the monastery from attack, the unique style of martial arts is now considered a tool for physical and mental cultivation.

At the time of their first meeting with Cherkaoui, the temple’s leaders had been looking for a way to modernize the tradition in a way that honored its spiritual roots. Sutra does this well, ensuring the audience understands that the acrobatics are more than cheap tricks, and by allowing the dancers to embody traditional symbols—a snake, a scorpion, a monkey—while situating them in a context you’d never find in ancient China.

Sutra is part of Lincoln Center’s White Light Festival, a multi-disciplinary festival highlighting “individual contemplation and communal artistic experiences.” October 16–November 18, 2018. Schedule and tickets available here.

Emma Varvaloucas is Tricycle’s executive editor.
    Still eager to see this.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

10 years already

I remember seeing the boxes for this at Shaolin when it was under development almost a decade and a half ago. It kills me that I still have yet to see this show.

OCTOBER 12, 2018 CULTURE
    COMING SOON
    Sutra: 18 Shaolin monks and one of Beyoncé’s choreographers
    A dance work enabling deep cross-cultural connection that was created by someone who went on to collaborate with Beyoncé – Sutra is relevant, insightful, and emblematic of all the things OzAsia Festival should be.

Words: Farrin Foster
    Pictures: Supplied
    Sutra was first performed in 2008 – an early foray into international collaboration from the then-fledgling but now-immensely respected Sadler’s Wells venue in London.

Since then, it has toured to more than 33 countries and been performed more than 200 times. Its creator and choreographer – Belgium’s Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui – who was already a well-respected name, has followed a similar stratospheric trajectory, all the way up to working on Beyoncé and JAY-Z’s APE**** video this year.

REMARKS
    Sutra
    November 2nd, 2018 at 8:00PM
    Dunstan Playhouse

Enter promotion code CityMag in the promo code box before selecting seats to see Sutra with us for $59.00.
    Buy tickets here.

CityMag ticket holders meet at Lucky Dumpling Market Parasol Lounge at 7pm for pre-show drinks (cash bar) for a quick Q&A with Assistant Choreographer Ali Thabet at 7:15pm-7:30pm

Show commences in Dunstan Playhouse at 8pm
    In celebration of its 10th anniversary, Sutra is on the road again – with this current international tour demonstrating once more how the piece’s resonance refuses to fade.

On the surface, the work seems almost simple in form.

It features a group of 18 Shaolin Monks performing the explosive and acrobatic martial arts manoeuvres they practice as part of their daily rituals. Dancing alongside, opposite, and sometimes with them is a contemporary dancer – a role inhabited sometimes by Ali Thabet and sometimes by Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui himself. The final person on stage is a young monk of about 10-years-old who acts as a guide of sorts for the dancer.

The structure brings to mind a conversation between a group and an outsider, but Ali says Sutra’s exploration of the interaction between a collective of familiars and a singular stranger runs far deeper than a mere exchange of words ever could.

“It is based on the experience that we had during the creation process – three months in the Shaolin temple with Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui the choreographer,” he says.

“Sometimes we try to lead them [the monks] for a scene or an image that we find interesting, but most of the time we had to understand their life to make things happen on stage.”

The process of coming to fully embrace the formerly foreign world of the monks plays out in the episodic nature of the piece, which uses different scenery to explore various facets of their traditions, beliefs, and philosophies.

The set by Antony Gormley is key in the graceful facilitation of this flexibility.

Consisting solely of coffin-sized wooden boxes – one for each monk – the set transforms as readily as the bodies of the performers, morphing from a lotus flower to a city skyline with ease. In these transitions, says Ali, the audience’s imagination is captured and enlivened.

“It is the most simple and clever set that I have experimented with on stage,” he says.

“Antony brings this idea, and the possibilities in terms of image, metaphor, and representation were plenty. We proposed a set that changes constantly, that could make the audiences dream about what they see.”

The intense and often emotional score by polish composer Szymon Brzóska underwrites this dream, as does the almost super-human athleticism of the monks and dancer on stage.

While the monks’ movements are not rooted in the training and language of contemporary dance, Ali says they possess a different kind of poetry – one drawn from the way “they are connected with their body and spirit”.

Pushing into this liminal mental space – the one that bridges the mind, the flesh, and the less conscious parts of self – is how Sutra finds its power.

REMARKS
    Sutra’s Adelaide Premiere season takes place as part of OzAsia Festival on November 2&3 at the Dunstan Playhouse.
    The relationships between the monks and the stranger might be the tool used for exploring this concept, but ultimately, says Ali, the work is not focussed on the boundaries that separate the performers. It – like any true cross-cultural connection – is about the commonalities that bring everyone together.

“It speaks about the link that we have with a different culture more than the differences,” says Ali. “It speaks of the will to understand a different culture.

“Emotion is the thing that we all share in common.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tricycle

I still haven't seen this show.

A Martial Arts Ballet
    Shaolin monks kick, flip, and dance in a performance both timeless and contemporary.
    Choreographed by Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui SPRING 2019

What would it look like if the New York City ballet’s corps of ballerinas were replaced by 20 kung fu Buddhist monks? Sutra, choreographed by Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui and with music by Szymon Brzóska, is as close an answer as you’re likely to get. The hourlong performance melds contemporary dance with the fighting techniques of China’s famous Shaolin martial arts.

Onstage, Cherkaoui, 42, joins the Chan Buddhist monks as well as 21 human-size boxes. These boxes, conceptualized by the British sculptor Antony Gormley, are as much a part of the choreography as the dancers themselves. Dragged around, stacked, put together like a puzzle and broken apart again—these simple props create complex worlds. Frequently the performers hide within them before flying out with flips, kicks, and spins.

Sutra premiered a decade ago but remains fresh. In 2007, Cherkaoui began the process of working with the monks, who hail from the original Shaolin Monastery in eastern China. Developed during the Sui and Tang dynasties (581– 618 CE and 618–907 CE) to protect the monastery from attack, the unique style of martial arts is now considered a tool for physical and mental cultivation.

At the time of their first meeting with Cherkaoui, the temple’s leaders had been looking for a way to modernize the tradition while still honoring its spiritual roots. Sutra was their answer.

–Emma Varvaloucas, Executive Editor

Choreographer Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui and the Shaolin monks onstage at Sadler’s Wells Theatre, London. Photograph by Andree Lanthier

Photograph by Andree Lanthier

Photograph by Andree Lanthier

Leo Mason Sports Photos / Alamy Stock Photo

The temple leaders had been looking for a way to modernize the tradition while still honoring its spiritual roots. Sutra was their answer.

A still from Sutra performed at Sadler’s Wells Theatre, London. The show premiered in 2008 and recently celebrated its 10th anniversary.

Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui is a dancer and choreographer.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sutra in Shanghai

I still haven't seen this show. Someday hopefully.

Preview: Shaolin Monks take on modern dance in Sutra
    Belgian choreographer Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui’s work features Shaolin Monks, a brilliant set and infectious energy
    By Nancy Pellegrini
    Posted: Monday October 14 2019

Photograph: Hugo Glendinning

Perhaps the idea of watching the Shaolin Monks’ divine athleticism doesn’t thrill in China the way it does in New York, London or any of the many cities Sutra has graced since its 2008 premiere. But Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui’s masterwork is more than impressive stunts and spear-work; it is a mesmerising piece where the simple becomes complex and tradition morphs into modernity, as Sutra, or the thread, connects us all.

Photograph: Andree Lanthier

Sutra opens with a lone Western figure (Ali Thabet, Cherkaoui’s original role) and a ten-year-old monk hunched over a scale model of the stage, moving wooden pieces and teaching in broad hand gestures – a god overlooking his creation. But those pieces come to life in a brilliant set by premier British sculptor Antony Gormley. A series of man-sized wooden boxes, they are deceptively simple and shockingly flexible, forming a platform for cascading martial arts exercises, or urban skyscrapers for monks who have shed their robes and donned dark suits. At other times the boxes are a border wall, a set of giant bookshelves and coffins in a morgue. And in a startlingly beautiful moment, they form a bud that blossoms slowly, gracefully, into a lotus.

Born in Belgium to a Moroccan father and Flemish mother, Cherkaoui started dancing to music videos in his childhood, and by his teens was performing on television. At 23, he joined the prestigious Les Ballets C de la B, but eventually left and toured with fellow wunderkind Akram Khan performing their acclaimed duet, Zero Degrees. Seeking a new creative direction and to enrich his own movement vocabulary, Cherkaoui revisited another childhood fascination – kung fu. He spent months in the mountains of Henan Province living and training with the Shaolin Monks, sharing their early hours and austere lifestyles – although he does admit to breaking down and heading to a warm hotel for a few nights. But he found the monks eager collaborators who particularly enjoyed working with the unusual and flexible set.

Photograph: Andree Lanthier

Sutra has been touring semi-regularly since 2008 and shows no signs of popular or critical fatigue, although some of the monks have moved on (the original child is now one of the adults). Set to a haunting score by Szymon Brzóska, Sutra’s energy and elegance still have the power to amaze – and connect.

Book here

Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui's Sutra
    Critics' pick
    Belgian choreographer Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui’s work Sutra features Shaolin Monks, a brilliant set and infectious energy
    Shanghai International Dance Center Grand Theatre , 1650 Hongqiao Lu Changning Shanghai Shanghai
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips