Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sept/Oct 2009 Issue

Sept/Oct 2009 Issue

Mine came a few days ago....

Jame's Whelan's article on Explosive Tai Chi is a winner!!!! The photo-doc demonstration of brush knee is very clear and understandable.... Altho this old body is never gonna get down that low, still I have no trouble envisioning the approach, which mite come in handy someday.
    .... Skip

my copy came today with gene's media kit... i really have to work on a camera pose... LOL... i remind myself of an opossum caught in some headlights.

picture

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    my copy came today with gene's media kit... i really have to work on a camera pose... LOL... i remind myself of an opossum caught in some headlights.
    Ahhhh, uki...

You notice I refrained from saying that here???? And, there were photos of a few others as well.....

You won't find my photo anywhere....
    .... Skip

Quote Originally Posted by Skip J. View Post
    Ahhhh, uki... You notice I refrained from saying that here????
    you don't have to do me any favors, i'm a tough guy that take the criticism all in stride... but on the note of being humble, you have been noticed.
    You won't find my photo anywhere....
    is this because no one takes your picture? LOL

my picture

you don't have to do me any favors, i'm a tough guy that take the criticism all in stride... but on the note of being humble, you have been noticed.
    is this because no one takes your picture? LOL
    Yesssss, how astute of you to notice... congrats!

In group photos I find a spot in the rear .... and avoid individual photos altogether. My Mom took a photo of me after the last Legacy a few years back, but she never scanned it in and posted it anywhere on the 'net. Of course, my camera is always in my hands and pointed away from me.

Besides, at my age, who else would want a photo but Mom?????
    .... Skip

i hope i get my copy today

there are a couple pictures of me as an adult in existance, but only a couple. like you skip, i am camera wary.

**** things trying to steal my soul, i swear it!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    there are a couple pictures of me as an adult in existance, but only a couple. like you skip, i am camera wary.
    i know where there is a picture of you!!
    only immature souls can be stolen.

other photos

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i hope i get my copy today

Hey Lucas;

Actually, there are pics of quite a few of the guys here, Gene really got carried away..

Yes.... I hate photography, but I like things done right in general, and that is so easy to goof up. Besides, if I volunteer to take pics, everybody just fades to the rear; nobody wants to take pics - except real photographers....

Very few folks who know me think I really have a soul anyway... if they only knew...

By the way, the mountain running article is really cool! But it's flat as a pancake a hundred miles in any direction from my house. My wife and I go up to Huntsville during cooler weather to walk the trails and we both enjoy the up'n down - walking pavement is sooo boring...
    .... Skip

By the way, the mountain running article is really cool! But it's flat as a pancake a hundred miles in any direction from my house. My wife and I go up to Huntsville during cooler weather to walk the trails and we both enjoy the up'n down - walking pavement is sooo boring...
    45 minutes from my house is a state park called "hickory run" - it is a really large flat and level boulder field(two of them actually) where one can enjoy the wonderous provisions of nature in complimenting your practice... it's an awesome spot to practice running - the route is plotted out one step at a time, several steps ahead of time... it's great fun and a killer adjective to any practice.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...ickoryrun.aspx

State Parks

45 minutes from my house is a state park called "hickory run" - it is a really large flat and level boulder field(two of them actually) where one can enjoy the wonderous provisions of nature in complimenting your practice... it's an awesome spot to practice running - the route is plotted out one step at a time, several steps ahead of time... it's great fun and a killer adjective to any practice.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...ickoryrun.aspx
    You be the man uki.....

Excellent training!!!!! Our woods look a little rinky-dink compared to yours....

But it's all we've got!

By the way.. that pic of the boulders is impressive!
    .... Skip

Riiiiiiiiiight. Back OT

There's a parallel thread on this issue that hskwarrior started since the cover master, Dino Salvatera, is his Sifu. See Congratulations to my sifu (Dino Salvatera).
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

You be the man uki.....
    don't let the forum see that.
    Excellent training!!!!! Our woods look a little rinky-dink compared to yours....

But it's all we've got!

By the way.. that pic of the boulders is impressive!
    thanks! it's amazing what nature can freely provide - it can beat any gym or health club... heck, these boulders here teach better lessons than most people. the boulders really are a treat... you can do most anything on them as far as training goes... what is really cool about them is that near the south end of the field, the boulders are tumbled rounded at the north side they are jagged and pointy... i like to run full speed from one end to the other and back... it really tests your hand/foot co-ordination aswell as endurance... they have got me twice: once i was running in cotton kwoon shoes and i stubbed my big toe(but i kept going until i was finished) when i finally stopped it was all black and blue - the second time i was playing with the straight sword doing form across from one end to the other, about halfway i mis-stepped and i went tumbling, the sword flew out of my hand... LOL... i run across them juggling rocks also(that's a whacky one) it's really amazing once you get into the zone while running... no run is the same, no foot placement is the same - absolutely amazing if you ask me. if you ever come to pa, i suggest you stop and check it out... alot of raw energy there that you can dip into.

on the cover Master

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    There's a parallel thread on this issue that hskwarrior started since the cover master, Dino Salvatera, is his Sifu. See Congratulations to my sifu (Dino Salvatera).
    Congrats hskwarrior... very well done.

Sorry Gene, I don't go to the Southern Chinese forum as you correctly discerned.

Apologize for the hijack; is it a hijack if it's my own thread????

Hey uki;

Very cool....

I think I'm gonna follow Gene's lead and start a new thread up on the taiji forum in a few days about training out in nature parks, in my case State Parks.
    .... Skip

Thumbs up Sifu dino

Great article, excellent story.

Sifu Dino is the last of a dying breed. Back in those days we trained as he says, for self-defense. As Sifu Dino puts it - " it ( whip chain) can be a stabber, a bone crusher, a way to close blocks, a mini dagger or a sword''. One of the first to take black students - he bucked the trend, I salute him for that . He's old school, from a different era, a great man.

Thanks for the artclie.
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

We've just posted our table of contents

Our Sep/Oct issue is on the newsstands now!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart