Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Special Olympics

Special Olympics

This should be a ripe one for discussion.
    Master Jang, founder of Jang’s Karate Center.
    Martial Arts Inaugurated at Special Olympics

Jang’s Karate of SB Holds First Fundraiser for New Sports Category
    Thursday, July 16, 2009
    By Ariel Salem

Santa Barbara will be kicking off a new era in the Special Olympics as Jang’s Karate Center hosts a Karate Kick-A-Thon & Board Breaking Competition. The event will stand as a milestone for the Special Olympics, which have just introduced martial arts as an official part of the games, thanks in no small part to the center’s membership. “This is the first time the Special Olympics have teamed with any martial arts organization,” Master Jang, founder of Jang’s Karate Center noted. In order for them to host an official fundraiser, the sport had to be part of the official games. “We are so excited and proud to support this kind of event.”

Fifteen Special Olympian athletes have started training at Jang’s Karate Center to help develop the martial arts kicks and board breaking techniques that they hope to demonstrate in the 2011 Special Olympics World Summer Games in Athens, Greece. The free-to-public event will attempt to raise money for the Special Olympics through donations by having a series of martial arts activities at the Santa Barbara City College Sports Pavilion between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm. on Saturday, July 18. Special Olympians will be participating in every category and the public is invited to cheer, donate and show their support for the athletes.

The event was the brainchild of Teri Coffee McDuffie, a member of Jang’s Karate Center and owner of Santa Barbara Women’s Self-Defense. McDuffie teamed up with the Southern California’s Special Olympics Director Sara Spataro to create this event after the two met through their involvement with the Goleta Valley Chamber of Commerce. Both leaders were united by the idea of empowering individuals to believe that anything is possible, McDuffie said. “You are always able to do something,” she explained, “No matter what your inabilities; you are always able to challenge yourself.”

In its 40-year history, the Special Olympics have quickly reached global recognition by giving individuals with intellectual disabilities the opportunity to participate in their communities and to develop self-confidence and belief in themselves.

Refreshments will be distributed free of charge for guests who wish to attend the event.

For more information and to make a donation contact Teri (805) 252-9099.
    I couldn't cross validate this on the Special Olympics site. The 2011 Special Olympics World Summer Games lists the following sports:
    * Aquatics (Swimming only)
    * Athletics
    * Badminton
    * Basketball
    * Beach Volley (demonstration)
    * Bocce
    * Bowling
    * Cycling (Road Race & Time Trial)
    * Equestrian (Dressage)
    * Football (Soccer / 5-Aside, 7-Aside, 11-Aside)
    * Golf
    * Gymnastics (Artistic & Rhythmic)
    * Judo
    * Canoeing (Flatwater)
    * Powerlifting
    * Roller Skating
    * Sailing
    * Softball
    * Table Tennis
    * Team Handball
    * Tennis
    * Volleyball
    It could be a test sport, but 'martial arts' isn't a good indicator. It could be tae kwon do or judo or karate, even MMA. Imagine that.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

thats pretty darn cool.

im waiting for gda to notice this one...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Their ads better not be like a Geico ad.

Jang's Karate, So easy a....

Kung Fu is good for you.

Finally! An event the entire forum can particpate in!

(runs into corner before Gene gets the ban stick out)
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

You have to carry the flag in front.

...and wear those really thick glasses, and your gym shorts from high school.

killa mad huzzahs all round!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I think from now on the ads could read

"Jang's Karate, now isn't that SPECIAL"

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Come on now, be nice...

Our charitable branch, the Tiger Claw Federation, has supported the Blind Judo Team. I've met a few of them and those people are super cool, great athletes and formidable martial artists.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

wow, i bet a blind judo guy is a force to be reckoned with once contact is made.

id like to see some blind judo bb's thats ala zatoichi
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Our charitable branch, the Tiger Claw Federation, has supported the Blind Judo Team. I've met a few of them and those people are super cool, great athletes and formidable martial artists.
    Actually Gene, I have no doubts. I think they'd bust up most of THIS FORUM

i asked someone how rows of handicap parking are at the special olympics. back in the early 90's it was the first 14 rows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Teaching Mentally Retarded people Karate is probably not a wise idea. I learned that lesson several years ago when I was working in a group home. I thought it might help to calm some of the more anxious guys down. Instead it backfired, a couple of the residents got in a fight and one of them kicked the other in the side of the knee and blew his knee out.

Quote Originally Posted by sha0lin1 View Post
    Teaching Mentally Retarded people Karate is probably not a wise idea.
    I agree, I think Shaolin-Do is the art of choice for the mentally retarded

GeneChing,

I am not sure if you are talking about the Olympics for the disabled or not. Before the 2008 game, I had an opinion of such sport games that they are not much meaningful. During the game, I have learnt that they are categorised by different levels of disability, and there are many events for disabled atheletes. My opinion has changed a bit but not entirely. There is sports game that is not worth doing even for the disabled, like bastet ball on wheelchair. And there is game worths going for, like swimming. That is from the POV of the participating athelete and the audience also.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    Last edited by SteveLau; 07-19-2009 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
    GeneChing,

I am not sure if you are talking about the Olympics for the disabled or not. Before the 2008 game, I had an opinion of such sport games that they are not much meaningful. During the game, I have learnt that they are categorised by different levels of disability, and there are many events for disabled atheletes. My opinion has changed a bit but not entirely. There is sports game that is not worth doing even for the disabled, like bastet ball on wheelchair. And there is game worths going for, like swimming. That is from the POV of the participating athelete and the audience also.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    all sports aren't worth anything to anyone until they are interested in participating in them.

Anyone who wants to try something so arbitrary as sporting activity should be able to and if there exists sanctioned places for them to compete in that sport, then away they go!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

To supplement what I said, one reason why I resent some of these sport games is similar to why I resent an event occurred two decades ago. At that time, there was a one-leg athelete who did marathon run around the globe to make a statement - we can do it if we have the will. To me, it is kind of overdone. There is no need to drag ourselves across the mud to make such generally agreed statement. The same theology can be applied to recreation and competition sport activities, including those specially designed for the disabled.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    Last edited by SteveLau; 07-28-2009 at 08:35 PM. Reason: amend my expression