Thread: July August 2009

July August 2009

We've just posted the table of contents for this issue. It's available on your newsstands now.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

We've just posted the cover story

This is the unabridged version of what appears in the magazine - more text, but less photos.

Master Jimmy Wong and the Legends of Kung Fu by Gene Ching
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

im miffed that barnes and noble doesnt carry your mag anymore, i have to travel across town for it now. and i dont drive.

good thing i got the next issue being hand delivered to me by a special service industry dedicated primarily to that express purpose. no more mag pilgrimages to the ever so dangerous downtown. although ill miss my scheduled trips of bandit warding, pirate thwarting, kungfumagazine nacho cheese seeking warrior journeys.

just a thanks here for being in print.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

was reading thru the july/august edition this morning and saw in the horoscope section a qoute from Saul Alinsky. The man is an America hating scumbag can we be a little more careful who we quote in the mag?

Master Liang

This issue has an excellent article on water boxing - Liu He Ba Fa - by Master Helen Liang. It is a truly wonderful article by a true Master speaking to us here.

I had the privilege of holding the camera at a Liu He Ba Fa workshop earlier this year after spending the morning in several taiji workshops myself. While I have serious doubts about any of that video making it past the editor; it was an excellent time to compare water boxing with taiji. While there are many similarities of the internal kind, still it is a different animal altogether. There is no doubt that the martial applications are more visible in water boxing than taiji. However, the internal side is also more evident than taiji too.

Master Liang provides an excellent description of the English translation of qi energy so that non-Chinese speakers are not missing anything as is normally the case. (pardon me Gene while I quote a little here...)

An example of a number of descriptions provided in her article is the para on "Condensing the Power to the Bones". After an excellent description of internal power, she ends with"... For combat, condensing one's power to the bones will hide it from the opponent leaving the opponent unsure how to react next. When attacking, the mind leads the power which is hastened by the qi. This power is abundant and unpredictable, thereby making the opponent unable to withstand the attack."

And then on the last page, directly opposite is a full page of Master Liang's DVD's... enjoy, you won't be disappointed I'm sure!
    .... Skip