Thread: Harakiri (1962)

Harakiri (1962)

I'm sure many of you have seen this film. If you havent however, and are a fan of Samurai movies, or Bushido, this is a GREAT film.

I'm suprised I never knew about this film in the first place. Got to love the random netflix selections.

I also find the moral behind the film to such a frighteningly close correlation to modern world polotics. its almost funny.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I concur

Harakiri is a true chanbara classic, a powerful tale of bushido.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene, have you read the book: Sun and Steel ?

Its a quick read, and IMO, well worth it.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Of course!

I read a fair amount of Mishima actually. I'm not sure he translates that well to English and I don't speak any more Japanese than needed to get in and out of a dojo.

I even have a hardbound edition of Mishima's Hagakure: The Samurai Ethic and Modern Japan, which is an illuminating read.

Did you ever see Shrader's Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters? It's worth a look. Philip Glass did a fantastic soundtrack with the Kronos Quartet, who I was also very into at the time. I still have that CD.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I have not seen that, but thanks a ton for the referral. I'll definately be checking that one out.

I'll also have to see if I can track down his version of Hagakure. Im sure he has some very interesting views.