Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: why do wing chun practitioners think wing chun is the end all be all!!!

why do wing chun practitioners think wing chun is the end all be all!!!

ok im hoping to not start a flame war or anything here, if that happens i will erase this thread. ok for the past five years i've studied xing yi chuan, and i freaking love it, its one of the most effective forms of fighting i've trained in. it has its drawbacks which alot of my previous training has compensated for but its a good system for me and it works for me. ok now that thats out of the way.

i recently been training in wing chun just to see what is it all about, why so many people swear by it like it was jesus christ or something. and you know what i just dont see it. while it is a practical and effective art. it has tons of weakness's. and im not talking about ground fighting or any of that. cause in reality the floor is not someplace you want to be at in new york city. anyway without getting to specific, i just dont see it. yes its a good art but no it is not the grand ultimate martial art. now there are guys on here who are gonna come at me with all sorts of crap, like oh you havent learned enough yet yadda yadda yadda yackity shmackity, just know also i have two friends who are really good sifus in wing chun. and lets just say what i said before, while i see its efectiveness especially in close range combat, there are alot of places where it needs to be compensated where things need to be added to make it more of an effective fighting form. just my opinion.

most people who belong to an esoteric practice hold to teh idea that what they are doing is better than what everyone else does.

karatekas think their stuff is IT, tkd-ers think it is they who have the real chalupa, mma guys think that they have the answers to all conflicts and so on and so on. in fact, the more esoteric and obscure, the more likely the practitioners are to hold their thing above other things.

it's human nature.

it just seems like a lot of wing chun practitioners do it because there are so many wing chun people. It's the most widely practiced tcma there is. stands to reason they would have the greatest amount of people who think that wing chun is the best.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

also, i remember when i was studying wing chun, there was this mentality that. 'our material is superior' based on the wing chun method, structure, etc.

this is of course the same reason many other MA's think the same exact things, but I did notice more of a flaunting of the 'my methods is better than all' in WC than in other cirlces ive been involved in.

just my 2 cents of course, and in todays market, that aint worth much.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I think part of the problem is that WC's core principles look so good on paper.

Shortest path attacks seem like a good idea.
    Simultaneous attack and defense is a good idea.
    Attacking high with high and low with low seems like a good idea.

And so much ink has been spilled.
    And the ideas have been talked about so much.

Oh, and Bruce Lee did Wing Chun.
    And we all know that Xiaolong pwned Chuck Norris so...

There are also however some problems:

1) Mythology trumps actuality -

Wing Chun was invented by a woman in order to create a system that would equalize the combat disparity of inequal size.
    This is a myth. And, honestly, WC really doesn't do it that much. WC is mainly an in-fighting striking art. Problem is that if you can't put big power behind those strikes and you are fighting close you are going to get grabbed. And WC doesn't handle getting grabbed very well... as has been discussed ad-nauseum.

The ground is the nuke.
    To be fair this is conditioned based on a CMA background in which martial arts were largely a battlefield affair. The last place you want to be on a battle field is on your back. At best you get stepped on. Thing is that the ground isn't all sharks and hot lava. And the truth is that fights do frequently end up there because when two people are trying to destabilize each other one will likely fall down somehow. Predicating a system on the assumption that you will not end up there, especially an infighting system, is a bit of a stretch.

Fast beats strong
    Honestly this should read fast and strong beats slow and strong. Thing is that if you don't condition for strength in some way it doesn't matter how fast you are, at best you can hope to run away.

2) Overspecialization

WC is a very clever infighting striking system (subject to the three issues enumerated above) however it has bupkiss for long range techniques and zippola for wrestling. When you combine that with the mckwoon attitude that "crosstraining is teh bad" it produces a lethal combination. Please note I am not saying that all, or even most, WC kwoons are mckwoons. I'm just saying that the level of specialization of the art makes it one particularly dependent on crosstraining to produce a well rounded fighter.

3) Your fingers are not a knife.

Putting on my rational sceptic hat for a second so people who believe in qi blasting and dim mak better plug their ears and go lalalalalalala.

Biu Ji and other techniques based on... well... poking seem to mistake fingers for a knife. This leads to problems.

Now, mind, a lot of WC's core techniques map really well to short blade combat. But down that road lies serious jail time... :s
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

i see what you guys are saying. maybe its because i had alot of good teachers who always taught me to question what i was learning. or maybe its because i grew up in an enviroment that afforded me the means to put my martial art into practical use. but most arts have to be readjusted in my opinion. mma while its ok, they train for the ring and in the ring you train to win. thats not necessarily the mantality you want in a street confrontation. cause fighting to win wont save your life, you have to go a step further then that. without getting to graphic. anyway thanks for everybodies two cents. its interesting. im just hoping none of the flamers pop up here. i hope this can be a healthy discussion on the martial arts. for at least two pages anyway.

wing chun is very popular due to the fact that the forms are easy to learn

you can learn the material in a short amount of time.

3 forms

One Pole Set

One Knife Set

Wooden Dummy form

Drills to develop sensitivity.

I feel many think its so good due to the legends and hype that it was developed to counter the traditional trained fighters of a corrupt Ching Goverment.
    Last edited by Dale Dugas; 03-11-2009 at 02:50 PM.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

"why do WC practitioners think wing chun is the be all end all"

Because WC practitioners have been sold a story that it is like some sort of magic pill, you take it and it will do wonders for you (without the effort and understanding). I was sold the story that the whole idea behind it's creation was to be more superior and effective than the other arts out there, I was also told that the art does not need me to be strong nor fast and that it will work better for me when I am older due to the superior "skills" that it teaches.

The fact of the matter is, like anything worth learning, it takes plenty of time, effort and understanding to learn and apply the Wing Chun system. IMO, the art is very hard to learn, but easy to apply once one has had some practice under their belt (by apply I mean the ability to demonstrate and feel what the art is teaching us, not necessarily the ability to use it against someone else). I've learned now that although WC teaches unique abilities and skills, it still doesn't make one invulnerable to attack, nor a super fighter. Fighters IMO are born, not made, but one can always learn how to defend themselves. How skillful you want to become at the ability to defend yourself is solely up to the individual, as is the application of what one has learned thru the system. IMO, WC is all about training specific attributes and physical structures, because we operate in a specific way and range. Of course thru my experience in the system, I have seen and felt the weaknesses of it. Only those that think in a static way believe that a movement or strategy is invulnerable, combat is about changing, adapting, being proactive and reactive at the same time.

For me, I continue to practice and explore this system simply for the fact that I enjoy it a great deal. My training began in TWC (William Cheung's system), and now I practice the Wong Shun Leung method, both are called Wing Chun, but both are very different in learning and application.

Oh, as a WC practitioner I don't think it is the be all end all, as the art itself does not fight. Only people fight. Just like the idea that guns are dangerous, the gun by itself cannot do anything, it is just a tool, it is the people shooting the guns that are the danger.

James

Yeah I'm taking Wing Tsun now too, basically because it's free.
    The attitude really bothers me, but I figure I can still learn some stuff.
    I love how they parody other arts to make themselves look better.
    Karate blocks and punches at the same time too, fool.
    I have done a lot of different MA and I have never encountered anyone with the same attitude outside of BJJ/MMA.

I've learned now that although WC teaches unique abilities and skills, it still doesn't make one invulnerable to attack, nor a super fighter.
    The only thing really unique about WC is how narrowly they confine themselves. The same/similar skills can be found else where, like mantis.
    Last edited by SanHeChuan; 03-11-2009 at 03:07 PM.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    I think part of the problem is that WC's core principles look so good on paper.

Shortest path attacks seem like a good idea.
    Simultaneous attack and defense is a good idea.
    Attacking high with high and low with low seems like a good idea.

And so much ink has been spilled.
    And the ideas have been talked about so much.

Oh, and Bruce Lee did Wing Chun.
    And we all know that Xiaolong pwned Chuck Norris so...
    This is all true. I would consider these sayings general ideas and things to keep in mind. It sort of sets up a mindset.
    There are also however some problems:

1) Mythology trumps actuality -

This is a myth. And, honestly, WC really doesn't do it that much. WC is mainly an in-fighting striking art. Problem is that if you can't put big power behind those strikes and you are fighting close you are going to get grabbed. And WC doesn't handle getting grabbed very well... as has been discussed ad-nauseum.
    As a long time WC practitioner, I've personally never believed that the system was created by a nun, and all that lore. IMO we really don't know where the development of the system came from, but I do believe each generation of Sifu's/practitioners has helped the art evolve, up until the point that it became over commercialized due to greed and the idea of being leader of a group of followers, basically big ego's. But there are some WC groups out there that are not a part of this type of thinking, that are really there to develop functional combat abilities.

To be fair this is conditioned based on a CMA background in which martial arts were largely a battlefield affair. The last place you want to be on a battle field is on your back. At best you get stepped on. Thing is that the ground isn't all sharks and hot lava. And the truth is that fights do frequently end up there because when two people are trying to destabilize each other one will likely fall down somehow. Predicating a system on the assumption that you will not end up there, especially an infighting system, is a bit of a stretch.
    It is very unwise to predict or to think about any type of outcome in regards to combat. As far as I am concerned, you better have the training to back up your ability to defend yourself, and live in the moment while in combat. When nothing else has worked to avoid a confrontation, a decision has to be made to either fight or flight, and when you fight you have to put all your effort into the defeat of your opponent. Thinking about an outcome while all of this is happening is a no no in my book.

Honestly this should read fast and strong beats slow and strong. Thing is that if you don't condition for strength in some way it doesn't matter how fast you are, at best you can hope to run away.
    True, but are we talking about strenght here or power. From what I understand, WC striking power comes from the ground and the legs, the strongest most powerful muscles in the body, backed up by a structure that can capitalize on that idea.
    2) Overspecialization

WC is a very clever infighting striking system (subject to the three issues enumerated above) however it has bupkiss for long range techniques and zippola for wrestling. When you combine that with the mckwoon attitude that "crosstraining is teh bad" it produces a lethal combination. Please note I am not saying that all, or even most, WC kwoons are mckwoons. I'm just saying that the level of specialization of the art makes it one particularly dependent on crosstraining to produce a well rounded fighter.
    The idea of being a "well rounder fighter" is brought about IMO due to the sportizing of the Martial Arts. Yeah, if you want to compete you shouldn't train in WC, because that is not the purpose of it. And if your interest is more varied, I whole heartedly advise those type to study whatever they feel the need to, but the question is, is that really needed when one is defending themselves in an everyday envirnoment situation. Most of us are limited in the amount of time we can spend on MA training.
    3) Your fingers are not a knife.

Putting on my rational sceptic hat for a second so people who believe in qi blasting and dim mak better plug their ears and go lalalalalalala.

Biu Ji and other techniques based on... well... poking seem to mistake fingers for a knife. This leads to problems.
    BJ that I practice now, has nothing really to do with finger strikes, although the idea of finger strikes is a part of the WC system, more of an advanced practice. The first thing learned is how to hit hard, move fast and eat up the space of the guy attacking you. BJ is most about what happenes when your structure is broken, lost or you find yourself in situation where the normal training doesn't consider. It's out of the box training.

Now, mind, a lot of WC's core techniques map really well to short blade combat. But down that road lies serious jail time... :s
    Just continuing the conversation, good points brought up

James

The "well rounded" fighter is a concept as old as time.

over-specialization is a sport fighter thing.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    efectiveness
    We should not look at MA just from one style point of view. We should look at what is available on this planet. If you want to train:

- punching skill then you should choose long fist, PM, WC, boxing, ...
    - kicking skill then you should choose long fist, TKD, MT, ...
    - locking skill then you should choose eagle claw, aikido, ...
    - throwing skill then you should choose SC, Judo, wrestling, ...
    - ground skill then you should choose BJJ, ...
    - speed then you should choose PM, Zimen, ...
    - power generation then you should choose Baiji, XYLH, Chen taiji, ...

I may just suggest the MMA approach without using the word "MMA". Chinese had already done MMA long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    'our material is superior'
    I can never agree with my Pigua and Bagua friend's comment, "If you have trained Pigua for 5 years then you can defeat people from any style. If you have trained Bagua for 5 years then you can multiple those Pigua guys on your finger tips".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-11-2009 at 03:52 PM.

wing chun only works when you go FOOM FOOM FOOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSAsxPEP7Tk
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    ok im hoping to not start a flame war or anything here, if that happens i will erase this thread. ok for the past five years i've studied xing yi chuan, and i freaking love it, its one of the most effective forms of fighting i've trained in. it has its drawbacks which alot of my previous training has compensated for but its a good system for me and it works for me. ok now that thats out of the way.

i recently been training in wing chun just to see what is it all about, why so many people swear by it like it was jesus christ or something. and you know what i just dont see it. while it is a practical and effective art. it has tons of weakness's. and im not talking about ground fighting or any of that. cause in reality the floor is not someplace you want to be at in new york city. anyway without getting to specific, i just dont see it. yes its a good art but no it is not the grand ultimate martial art. now there are guys on here who are gonna come at me with all sorts of crap, like oh you havent learned enough yet yadda yadda yadda yackity shmackity, just know also i have two friends who are really good sifus in wing chun. and lets just say what i said before, while i see its efectiveness especially in close range combat, there are alot of places where it needs to be compensated where things need to be added to make it more of an effective fighting form. just my opinion.
    I just had a quick read of the others' posts and some of what I am about to say has probably been said already. I want to put a WC practitioner's perspective.

Wing Chun is not the best kung fu style there is, but if practiced in its complete aspects then it is a great style to master and then go on to other kung fu styles.

The way Wing Chun has been marketed has contributed greatly to the way all WC practitioners believe that what they do is the best kung fu style there is. Bruce Lee has played his part in this as well, albeit unwillingly.

Ironically this "Wing Chun is superior to other kung fu styles" propaganda is more often than not pushed by the less talented of the Wing Chun fraternity which would include the majority of the "sifus" in this sad era of Mcdojos or McKwoons.

I've got your flame war right here. Wing Chun is a girls style!! You want to learn how to fight like a girl?!

LOL Just kidding!!

In all seriousness, Wing Chun can be an extremely effective system in the right hands. I do, however, feel that it is somewhat...limited.

As far as the bigotry, I would have no beef with the way Wing Chun is portrayed and advertised if it weren't for the great number of sifus who do try to pump it up as being the greatest. Too often I read in brochures how "it's the most effective fighting system in the word!!" and it's "the best" self defense system and so on. There's not many other styles that advertise like this. But I do see it a lot with Wing Chun, I have to admit.

In the last 15 years or so I've seen two other styles where these sorts of claims seem to be prevalent: Ba Gua, and BJJ and/or MMA whatever you want to call it. I suppose there's a little of that in Ninjutsu or Taijutsu as well.

Doesn't everyone realize that, for the most part, it's really the fighter and not the style? Pretty much all TCMA's have been proven to work and be effective throughout history. Otherwise, nobody would be practicing them anymore!
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

I'm a CLF practitioner, so naturally I don't think wing chun is the end all be all. However, based on Donnie Yen's new Ip Man film, it can certainly look pretty frickin' bad ass:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkHmYJmfuWg
    Grantis Mantis
    Grant's Pad