Thread: Set ups

Set ups

Speaking from a wrestling perspective, how do you like to set up a double, single, throw, or anything else?

Since set-ups are arguably THE most important part of offense, what works for you?

Obviously, in a more 'mixed' context set ups will be quite different when taking into account striking and to a degree submissions, but looking at a specific range (which is useful for training purposes), what are your go-to set ups?

What often goes overlooked in terms of set ups is simply movement itself. How you move around, toward, or away from your opponent and any of the various ways you make him move can have a huge impact on your ability to carry out your offense or counter.

If you know you can make your opponent step in a given direction, even for a second, you can time when his weight will be committed in a certain direction, which will 'freeze' a leg if only for a fraction of a second and that is when you can get penetration. Faking shots and anticipating reactions can give you even more of an advantage (provided you are right about how he will react).

A lot of folks talk about how 'fast' wrestlers are with leg shots and such, but you get a whole lot faster when your opponent isn't moving.

Of course as with any set up, you need to be aware that your oppenent may be expecting that and use it to lead YOU into his counter. If I take a big, exagerrated step knowing you will take that bait I may have an advantage in countering since I can anticipate your action.

Sort of chess-like

For me, I tend to set up off my strikes. Mainly my hands. Too many guys tend to shoot without setting it up, especially pure BJJ guys. Good standup gives you alot more opportunity. A set up I use at times is to shoot when the other rushes in with a big shot after throwing a shot. Alot of guys will move straight back when someone throws strikes at them. If you can stand your ground and make the first strike miss, often times you can shoot when they move forward for the next strike.

You can also shoot off of your own strike as well. If a guy moves straight back, throw a jab while moving forward to keep the distance close and shoot off that jab.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

The crucial element of any set up will always be the effect of the set-up.
    In terms of striking, the element is damage, if the strikes don't cause significant compromise of the opponents structure, they are useless as set-ups.
    Same applies to using grappling to set-up striking.
    Is not so much about WHAT you do to set-up your take downs, or even WHEN you do them, timing being specific to what that "rules" may be and such, the crucial element is MAKING your opponent commite to your set up and in the case of strikes, it means making him hurt and focus on your strikes above everything else.
    One of the reasons GSP is doing so well.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !