Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Breaks in Class

Water Breaks in Class

Do you get (or give, if you are a teacher) water breaks during class time?
    When I studied in Taiwan the class was very long 2-3 hours and we would usually break for some tea.

Here in the states classes usually don't pass one and a half hours and I have seen some classes here that are only 45 minutes long, even half an hour for kids class.

So I wonder what is your experience with the water break.

THE DRINKS
    I usually brew some type of tea for the students to drink during our class. Such as green tea, herb tea or yerba mate.

AFTER CLASS
    Most people like to drink some corn based sweet drink like Gatorade after workout, but I always recommend coconut water (not coconut milk) after class.

And then there is always water.

I had cocoanut water once (I was expecting cocoanut milk and was sorely surprised). It was salty and gross.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    a lot depends on how hydrated the people stay on a regular basis.

dehydration and physical training don't mix so it's probably a good idea to not guess if a student has consumed enough water during the day.

I wouldn't give a kid's 30 minute class a break i don't think...possibly one right after the warmup but that's it...

in an hour long class (kids or adults) I usually give 2 water breaks...but just long enough for them to get 4-6 ounces of water at each break...that's usually enough for a moderately strenuous class. During our 2 hour san shou class I let them drink as they wish between rounds or sets of exercises.

and all the above instances I advocate water only...but, anyone over 18 is an adult and can make their own choices.

Gatorade is drank incorrectly and at inappropriate times by most people. Most people aren't training hard enough or long enough to warrant it. And, even then, watering it down 50% is a good idea.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Tainan Mantis View Post
    Do you get (or give, if you are a teacher) water breaks during class time?
    When I studied in Taiwan the class was very long 2-3 hours and we would usually break for some tea.

Here in the states classes usually don't pass one and a half hours and I have seen some classes here that are only 45 minutes long, even half an hour for kids class.

So I wonder what is your experience with the water break.

THE DRINKS
    I usually brew some type of tea for the students to drink during our class. Such as green tea, herb tea or yerba mate.

AFTER CLASS
    Most people like to drink some corn based sweet drink like Gatorade after workout, but I always recommend coconut water (not coconut milk) after class.

And then there is always water.
    Let me caveat this by saying that I have only been training for a few months.

In general, our Saturday classes are more rigorous than our weeknight classes and normally go beyond 2 hours. We have fairly frequent water breaks on those days. During the week, I rarely need a water break during the class(these are shorter classes and usually more focused on learning new techniques). I highly doubt Sifu would have a problem with us getting water if we needed it though.

I train adults. They can drink whenever they want.

How many potty breaks do you allow?
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 01-14-2009 at 07:14 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Water is very very important. You don't want to be that guy with a heat casualty because you wanted to "tough it out". Dehydration is often poorly understood, and even in cold climates, dehydration poses a risk.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

My classes are an hour long . We have a 5 min water break 30 mins into the class. I am not a big tea fan but due to all the health benefits of tea, I may start to bring in green tea to drink instead of water.

Red face

I thought this was a thread about a pregnant female student at term...

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    I thought this was a thread about a pregnant female student at term...
    beat me to it.
    i thought the exact same thing.
    but then, it might be because i'm gonna be a daddy soon.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Typical scenerio in my school:

"Sifu, can I get some water?"

"Good fighters don't need water,
    Bad fighters don't deserve water.
    Which one are you?!"

"I'm like, a mediocre fighter. Can I have a litlle water?"

"Yeah, g'head."
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    there's a difference between unhealthy training and 'eating bitter'
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Typical training

30-40 minute strength/conditioning/agility ... water/**** break

60 minute drills, usually a series of techniques that relate ... 2 water/**** breaks

40 minute Free play starting from various positions ... water/**** go home.

Tea doesn't hydrate you.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

the water in tea doesnt hydrate you?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Yeah, I don't know what the big deal is.

I usually bring a water bottle to class and whenever I need it I just go grab a quick drink.

In winter workouts there are many times I don't drink more than once in a two hour workout. In the summer that's a little different.